Let's just do away with public school sports!

CPGB06

I don't know what others think, but, as a private school supporter, given the choice between the system we have now and a "tax the wealthy" system whereby big private schools with big endowments--like MBA, Baylor, McCallie, etc.--pay a disporportionate amount of the TSSAA fees, but get to compete against public schools like the old days, I'd be for the latter. What if that were part of a "reconciliation?" I.e., make private schools pay up to some sort of fund that finances the needs of athletics programs around the state if they want to play in DI.

I know MBA for one is already doing this privately, but it could be part of a bigger "reconciliation" strategy.

As for coke/pepsi, it's interesting. I don't know about Tennessee, but in several other places, some local distributors agreed to fund public school athletic programs completely--uniforms, stadiums, equipment, etc.--in exchange for sponsorship/adevertising rights, and exclusive soda machine rights for the life of the school. It's a pretty good deal for all involved.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what others think, but, as a private school supporter, given the choice between the system we have now and a "tax the wealthy" system whereby big private schools with big endowments--like MBA, Baylor, McCallie, etc.--pay a disporportionate amount of the TSSAA fees, but get to compete against public schools like the old days, I'd be for the latter. What if that were part of a "reconciliation?" I.e., make private schools pay up to some sort of fund that finances the needs of athletics programs around the state if they want to play in DI.

I know MBA for one is already doing this privately, but it could be part of a bigger "reconciliation" strategy.

As for coke/pepsi, it's interesting. I don't know about Tennessee, but in several other places, some local distributors agreed to fund public school athletic programs completely--uniforms, stadiums, equipment, etc.--in exchange for sponsorship/adevertising rights, and exclusive soda machine rights for the life of the school. It's a pretty good deal for all involved.

Is MBA doing this or is it an outside foundation that was started & run by a former student and current MBA football coach? Yes, that foundation gives money to several schools but it is also a tax write off for one individual along with being a huge recruiting tool for MBA in the minority community.

Is MBA doing this or is it an outside foundation that was started & run by a former student and current MBA football coach? Yes, that foundation gives money to several schools but it is also a tax write off for one individual along with being a huge recruiting tool for MBA in the minority community.

Why does someone's benevolence - especially if he has ties to a private school - have to be tied to tax write-offs and recruiting? Do you even know how tax write offs work? <_<

Edited by tnsddeveloper

Why does someone's benevolence - especially if he has ties to a private school - have to be tied to tax write-offs and recruiting? Do you even know how tax write offs work? <_<

Yes, I know how they work (I did learn something while walking around that 4th tier university in Palo Alto during the 80's). They are great and I feel that it is best to give your money to a charity, church, foundation, etc... instead of giving it to "UNCLE SAM"

I also know how and why one particular foundation was established.

I'm not talking about Backfield in Motion (I assume that is what you are talking about). I don't really know that much about it honestly, and I don't think it is specifically tied to MBA...I know they advertise during the MBA football games webcasts, and send me requests for $$ periodically, and a lot of MBA people are involved, but I never see that they are claiming an affiliation w/ MBA...again, not sure...

I'm talking about some things the school has done in terms of camps, and equipment/facility funding to some metro schools.

STD, I will say it again, we receive SALARIES from tax dollars, but absolutely NO money for anything else. Schools use the proceeds from vending machines, various and never-ending fundraisers, booster clubs (if they have one) and gate receipts. I have worked in four schools and they ALL operated the same way. If you want to get right down to it, coke/snack machines fund Metro athletics. The sad truth. Guy Morgan, when he was at Coke, single-handedly kept Metro middle schools going for several years. I know you don't want to hear it, but it is true.

So if the profits from the coke and other vending machines went into the educational side of the budget my taxes would be lower right?

"So if the profits from the coke and other vending machines went into the educational side of the budget my taxes would be lower right?"

careul, transmitted disease,

if you reach too far,

you will topple.

besides, i fail to understand your objection

to paying the coaching stipends with your tax dollars.

just think;

what other tax dollars go to pay someone

who waters it down to about two bits an hour

by excessive work...

and, on top of that, approaches the work with enthusiasm,

even passion?

what other workers are your tax dollars paying

who have to be watched to keep them from working more than is allowed?

if only ALL our tax dollars were squeezed and stretched

like the few that trickle into high school sports...

"So if the profits from the coke and other vending machines went into the educational side of the budget my taxes would be lower right?"

careul, transmitted disease,

if you reach too far,

you will topple.

besides, i fail to understand your objection

to paying the coaching stipends with your tax dollars.

just think;

what other tax dollars go to pay someone

who waters it down to about two bits an hour

by excessive work...

and, on top of that, approaches the work with enthusiasm,

even passion?

what other workers are your tax dollars paying

who have to be watched to keep them from working more than is allowed?

if only ALL our tax dollars were squeezed and stretched

like the few that trickle into high school sports...

I'm not objecting at all to public high school sports being totally funded by tax dollars, please read one of my previous posts. I would not trade my public high school athletic experience for anything I learned in the classroom. It's just the bickering on here about how all the privates have such great facilities because they have such deep pocketed parents and boosters. The level of facilities is directly related to the success of the program and the desire for those involved to make them good regardless of public/private. I coach in high school and I don't even get the watered down to "two bits" an hour and I think I approach it with a lot of enthusiam (maybe termed zealot by many) and possibly put in more hours than I should. You know why? It's called love of the game. Every time the budget crunch hits and stipens are on the table those without a true love of the game may just be the first one's that jump the ship.

Oh and by the way those are my initials since birth and no way related to your gutter thoughts.

Edited by std

"Oh and by the way those are my initials since birth and no way related to your gutter thoughts."

sorry to offend,

but you gotta admit those initials are seen frequently these days.

if it helps, we share a passion (and a pay scale)

I asked for it using the screen name without realizing until someone pointed it out. I do like high school sports. It keeps a lot of kids in line and teaches discipline.