Let's just do away with public school sports!

CPGB06

You know, as a tax payer, I would vote to just do away with public school sports all together. Look at all of the ill feelings it is causing within our community. It is not worth it.

I cannot say that Private schools should do away with sports, because as a private entity using private funds, they can do what ever they want.

So instead of talking about D1's and D2's, 1.8 multipliers and lawsuits for recruiting, why not let public schools just teach the 3 R's and save all of the tax payers a huge amount of money and just get rid of public schools sports all together?

What do you say?!?!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, as a tax payer, I would vote to just do away with public school sports all together. Look at all of the ill feelings it is causing within our community. It is not worth it.

I cannot say that Private schools should do away with sports, because as a private entity using private funds, they can do what ever they want.

So instead of talking about D1's and D2's, 1.8 multipliers and lawsuits for recruiting, why not let public schools just teach the 3 R's and save all of the tax payers a huge amount of money and just get rid of public schools sports all together?

What do you say?!?!

I must have missed your point.

What do you say?!?!

I think our sports programs (mainly football) make money for the school over all.

I think our sports programs (mainly football) make money for the school over all.

Most county & rual schools make money on football. Take a close look at inner city (metro nashville, memphis, chattanooga) school and they probably loose big time. When you only have 100 people at the game it's hard to not go in the hole.

In Metro, no tax dollars pay for anything except coaching salaries. Every penny for uniforms, equipment, field prep etc. comes from the gate or fundraisers. I laugh every time I see another uninformed person give this same argument. We get NOTHING from tax dollars.

Then how do you pay for new uniforms, equipment, travel, etc... When I attend metro games and only 100 people are in the stands it's hard to pay for the officials. Metro schools must have a "Sugar Daddy" that takes care of various items for them.

If a metro school has 5 home football games and they have 4 games with 100 people in attendance paying $5.00 each that is a gross of $2000.00. They have one big rivalary game that has 1000 people paying $5.00 each that is a gross of $5000.00. So the school has a gross of $7000.00 on football and they haven't paid for officials or field maintence and let's not forget that football has to help out the minor sports. I just don't see how they can ever get ahead.

Now look at the 4A & 5A county schools.

5 games with an average attendance of 2500 people @ $5.00 per person is $62,000.00 gross gate receipts. Include an average gross of $15,000.00 per game ($75,000.00 gross sales with a profit margin of 72%) @ the concession stand and you can see the numbers are not close to what the metro public schools have.

Edited by cbg

In Metro, no tax dollars pay for anything except coaching salaries. Every penny for uniforms, equipment, field prep etc. comes from the gate or fundraisers. I laugh every time I see another uninformed person give this same argument. We get NOTHING from tax dollars.

I think that`s pretty much the way it is in Jackson as well. Coaches get paid (which ain`t much for all the time required) and everything else is gates and booster club. Thankfully Al Wilson gave JCM football team :thumb: $10,000 last year.

I'll have to call you out on this one. If the tax dollars pay the suppliments, the county school bus and driver for 5 away football games, and a portion of the school athletic director cost (I know there are dual rolls for this person outside athletics) that is significant dollars. No way the gait reciepts for the metro schools cover uniforms, field/gym maintenance, utilities, insurance, TSSAA membership. There is also the metro athletic directors salary and staff that is tax payor money. I am not against high school athletics by no means you know that, but no way a single public school in metro has a fully self sustaining athletic program this day and age that does not receive significant tax payor support. Come on off the reservation and smell the roses. Within that 8,000 dollar/student cost per year there is an allotment for athletics as well as other extracurricular activities.

Edited by std

I'll have to call you out on this one. If the tax dollars pay the suppliments, the county school bus and driver for 5 away football games, and a portion of the school athletic director cost (I know there are dual rolls for this person outside athletics) that is significant dollars. No way the gait reciepts for the metro schools cover uniforms, field/gym maintenance, utilities, insurance, TSSAA membership. There is also the metro athletic directors salary and staff that is tax payor money. I am not against high school athletics by no means you know that, but no way a single public school in metro has a fully self sustaining athletic program this day and age that does not receive significant tax payor support. Come on off the reservation and smell the roses. Within that 8,000 dollar/student cost per year there is an allotment for athletics as well as other extracurricular activities.

STD, I will say it again, we receive SALARIES from tax dollars, but absolutely NO money for anything else. Schools use the proceeds from vending machines, various and never-ending fundraisers, booster clubs (if they have one) and gate receipts. I have worked in four schools and they ALL operated the same way. If you want to get right down to it, coke/snack machines fund Metro athletics. The sad truth. Guy Morgan, when he was at Coke, single-handedly kept Metro middle schools going for several years. I know you don't want to hear it, but it is true.

STD, I will say it again, we receive SALARIES from tax dollars, but absolutely NO money for anything else. Schools use the proceeds from vending machines, various and never-ending fundraisers, booster clubs (if they have one) and gate receipts. I have worked in four schools and they ALL operated the same way. If you want to get right down to it, coke/snack machines fund Metro athletics. The sad truth. Guy Morgan, when he was at Coke, single-handedly kept Metro middle schools going for several years. I know you don't want to hear it, but it is true.

It's a sad day when you have to use Coke & snack machines to fund a high school athletic department. It's no wonder that Metro public schools are way behind the county school when it comes to athletic departments. I drove by Glencliff High School yesterday and from the road the football stadium looked like it had been abandoned for the past 20 years.

What do you say?!?!

thats probably one of the dumbest thing i have ever heard, so are you just saying that only rich people who go to private schools should be allowed to play sports in high school, high school sports sends alot of people to college and definitely should stay in public schools

thats probably one of the dumbest thing i have ever heard, so are you just saying that only rich people who go to private schools should be allowed to play sports in high school, high school sports sends alot of people to college and definitely should stay in public schools

I think CPGB06 posted that with his tongue planted firmly in his cheek.