Terrible Tennessee Refs

Total90

I think that our normal refs only glanced over the cliffnotes for refereeing before the test, because his calls are rubbish. He stands in one spot for the whole game and only calls offsides. What is he thinking???? I think tennessee needs higher standards, because the refs can't call anything good.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

true statement, there are not many good refs in the tennessee at all

That's adefeatistattitude. We are players. Someday maybe we'll ref but not now. How about some of the screaming parentsand other rabid fans in the stands. You'dthink with all their comments they would be motivated to learn. :thumb:

There's no excuse for sloppy officiating and each ref knows if he's conducting himself in a professional manner and putting in a complete effort. Referee's, players and coaches all need to be held to a higher standard. You can't expect a ref to make unpopular calls if he's going to be abused by players and parents. The referee's who stay in shape and involve themselves in the game and make the calls are not much more popular than the ones who stand along the touchline and call offsides. The two man system also provides more opportunity for calls to go unnoticed since each ref figures the other ref will make the call that's 60 yards away (teams need to request a three man crew). If all games were reffed by three officials, all new/inexperienced refs would be on the sidelines. Another fact - the better refs are going to be assigned to the prominent games (Baylor, Father Ryan, CCS, etc.), and these schools almost always request a three man crew.

Tennessee has very lax requirements for certifying a new referee and it takes years to learn how to effectively control a game and provide the level of officiating that most people expect. The local associations are responsible for the development of their officials.

After a well played game most people couldn't tell you who the refs were - after a badly played game everyone knows.

Guest Number8

I think u would expect good reffs at important games like the destrics. We had a good Reff against CAK and DB who was very young and made good calls, but like everyone he made lil mistakes. But i have seen older reffs in their 50s who just fliped a coin for every call they were goin to make.

BUT I think ALL of the reffs deserve our respects in the game, because it could be their last.

Science hill and Sullivan Central experience a horrifying scene during their match yesterday. in the middle of the first half the reff hit the floor, and was gasping for what could have been his last breaths. He was rushed to the hospital due to a heart attack, and the game ofcourse was called off. And here is the thing, this reff came to call a high school soccer team eventhou he had chest pain before the game.

So maybe we should try to respect them a lil more, than disrespecting them. I will be the first to admit that i really like to argue whe there is a miss-call, but somethings just change ur point of view. I think most players on that field would thing twice before desrespecting another reff.

Edited by Number8

That's adefeatistattitude. We are players. Someday maybe we'll ref but not now. How about some of the screaming parentsand other rabid fans in the stands. You'dthink with all their comments they would be motivated to learn. ;)

it's also "adefeatisattitude" to automatically assume that the ref is wrong and you are not wrong. In order to be a great soccer player you must also be a student of the game. you constantly need to reassess your game and debrief yourself on what all went down. Could it possible be that you were offsides somewhere in that play? What did you do wrong that the ref saw? there are a lot of calls that I wonder what in world the ref was thinking-but in the end I know that all three of the refs we normally have are good, reasonable men who have some justification for whatever they call or dont call. i think all three would be happy to discuss with you what they called (after the game) if you approached them in a respectful manner. You have to consistently try to determine what you might have failed to do or what the ref saw that he called you on.

Bolton's defense was pushed up almost to the half-field and ya'll got nailed with their off -side trap a couple of times until you got your rythem down. If you were in the offside position and went forward "back" into the play that is why he got you. find out what you might need to work on--you wont grow as a soccer player if you always say "man! the ref's are ignorant and stupid."

Interesting call made during the BGA MBA game last night: BGA was setting up for a corner kick when time ran out for the half, ref blew whistle ending the half and denying the play. Never seen that before.

Time ended is time ended according to FIFA Rules. There is no courtesy rule saying if you are on a break away or you are about to score that a referee can add time. When the clock strikes 0, the half or game should end. However, you will see most refs let the game or h alf continue a little longer during an attack, why I am not sure. It happened to Tennessee's ODP Game against Maryland. Three minutes were added, and Maryland scored in the 84th minute to win 1-0. Although it's rare to end the game during a corner, it's definitely the correct call.