Starting a Football Program from scratch

larry

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you started a football program at a small school, would it be successful quicker if it was a private school or a public school, and why?

Chattanooga Christian School To Begin Football Program

That's a tough question to answer. I will say that there have been several new public schools that saw high rates of success early. For example, last year's 5A champ Ravenwood is a school that is just 3 years old.

I would think that a new private school program would take some serious lumps early. Mt. Juliet Christian has had a program for 3 or 4 years and they are taking it on the chin pretty well still. CCS will have a tougher road to go with them being affected by the multiplier and being in 2A vs. 1A.

Edited by tnsddeveloper

Don't think it will be any easier. THey still have to work with the kids they have. 2A is going to be tough.

The person quoted in the article said they're not doing it to increase enrollment, but I have to believe it was done at least in part to stop any decrease-with Grace, Silverdale, Temple and David Brainerd all adding teams in the last three years.

CCS has not had a decrease in enrollment in several years. They have a waiting list in most grades.

From what I know, it is what it says, a program added to benifit the students that are already there.

I know they do take some new students in 6th and 9th and a few here or there in other grades when there is room.

CCS has not had a decrease in enrollment in several years. They have a waiting list in most grades.

From what I know, it is what it says, a program added to benifit the students that are already there.

I know they do take some new students in 6th and 9th and a few here or there in other grades when there is room.

I'm not saying he's being dishonest at all, or even just changing words around, but adding football could help stop a decline in enrollment before it happens. If you're entering 9th grade in Chattanooga and want to go to a relatively inexpensive private school, can play football, CCS will be an option whereas the others I mentioned are the options for a little while longer.

. . . . want to go to a relatively inexpensive private school, can play football, CCS will be an option . . . .

Really inexpensive? That's a laugh.

I think they did it because when they win at all the other sports the visiting team's fans yell, where's your football team?? :thumb:

Seriously, they probably do loose out on some really good students because they don't have a football team.

Really inexpensive? That's a laugh.

I think they did it because when they win at all the other sports the visiting team's fans yell, where's your football team?? :thumb:

Seriously, they probably do loose out on some really good students because they don't have a football team.

Relatively inexpensive, when compared to Baylor and McCallie.

When I coached at East Ridge and we had track meets at CCS, I told our coaching staff that CCS could start a football program and be successful in Chattanooga in three to four years. They already draw the kind of athletes one needs to be successful and they are not as expensive as Baylor and McCallie. They should do well and if the pay is right, they should be able to get a good coach to build a program. The trick is hiring the right man!

I didn't take Temple that long in 1A, and what do they have, 125 students? They already have had at least 3 1-AA type prospects (quarterback, fullback-linebacker, receiver). There are posts on this site claiming at least 2 new athletes will be on the field for them this fall, too, that can only be proven when they're in uniform and not before but no it shouldn't take long for CCS to be strong.

That new avatar hardly does you justice.!! :lol:

When I coached at East Ridge and we had track meets at CCS, I told our coaching staff that CCS could start a football program and be successful in Chattanooga in three to four years. They already draw the kind of athletes one needs to be successful and they are not as expensive as Baylor and McCallie. They should do well and if the pay is right, they should be able to get a good coach to build a program. The trick is hiring the right man!