Middle TN Umpires

hardhitn

No, never ever do a make up call. Using the old saying, 2 wrongs don't make a right. Honestly, there may be games where it looks like we do. I for one have had games where I'm stuck in some sort of "let's blow multiple calls" rut and it may be one call goes for each side, but I assure it's not on purpose. It's because I just royally stink that night. Yeah, hard to believe, but it happens.:lol:

absolutely correct there Jody...on a given night Some of us could make a training video about what NOT to do on a ball field..I also agree... never MAKE UP a blown call...just try to take your time and get the next ones right if possible..A lot of being good is hustle, knowing the rules and practicing good people handling skills..I try to treat the coaches as I would like to be treated if I were in their shoes...It works pretty well because they know that I and my partner whoever it is are trying to be fair and make good decisions...and I think the coaches appreciate it..Maybe I am wrong but our group probably has a lot fewer ejections and problems than anywhere else, at least that what I have been told by other umps in other areas..Who knows?? jody, cant wait to get you back on the field..Hurry up and get better..

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since there are several guys in blue on this thread i have a serious question :lol:

make up calls...........should you or shouldn't you?

in my humble opinion as a man in the stands i hate them. if you miss one why miss two to "even it up"?...................that being said does it happen?

and cub i agree you guys do a great job

Definitely not, even on a pitch to a batter. In the end, in most cases, it will all work out evenly. You're going to miss a pitch here and there, but if you start trying to "make it up," you're going to screw everyone up and they'll not know what they can safely take and what they have to swing at.

Cadet, as to what you're saying about hustling and treating coaches with respect, I agree completely. I think the guys I work with in the Boro do a good job with this. If you treat people right, whether they agree or disagree with the call, you're going to have less problems on the field.

I dont live WITH them but I spend a extremely large amount of time between them..right behind the catcher if you know what I mean..If some of the fans could only see themselves and realize how silly and ignorant they are of the rules, I bet that they would act a whole lot different...But then again, some probably wouldnt care, they would act crazy anyway...By the way, I double checked and I was absolutely correct with the call ...no doubt..We try to be the best we can and I think honestly that our group in Tullahoma and Grundy Co. do it as good as any association in the south. Still some people act like they haven't been to town in a while..

First, I know some fans are very ignorant of baseball rules and etiquette. For the most part umpires do an adequate job. Having said that, you come off a little condescending to fans in general. Umpiring high school baseball is not very difficult by any stretch of the imagination. You very seldom have to know much more than the high school scorekeeper. I know you guys will take offense to this statement. I'm sorry, but that is my take on it. I've faced 95mph and seen un-Godly breaking stuff day in and day out. I've never taken a strike that I didn't know was a strike. I've never swung at a ball that I did not know was a ball. That is all while trying to hit them. Standing behind the plate watching them come in is considerably simpler. I've done that too. The problem informed fans have is the inconsistency in some of the umpires. They have every right to that opinion. Seriously you guys are the ones getting paid! If you think about it you guys are complaining about fans not being in agreement with your personal interpretation of a black and white set of rules concerning the strike zone. When I hit in high school and college, I generally had a much more accurate knowledge of the stike zone than the umpires did. I was never the guy to show up an umpire by any means, but they were wrong a lot. If I got beat in a certain at bat, then I'd tip my hat and move on. I know you guys do your best, but you've got one of the easiest and most fun jobs in the world. No need to bash fans. What difference does it make anyway. In pro ball we would not respect an umpire at all if he tried to control the fans by reprimanding them. I've seen that happen far too much in high school baseball. I mean you'll have a guy that doesn't know the infield fly rule, and he'll be consumed by what the fans think and say. Sometimes it's ridiculous. As for a fan's knowledge of the rules, I've probably forgotten more than most high school umpires know.

Edited by jacktheripper

First, I know some fans are very ignorant of baseball rules and etiquette. For the most part umpires do an adequate job. Having said that, you come off a little condescending to fans in general. Umpiring high school baseball is not very difficult by any stretch of the imagination. You very seldom have to know much more than the high school scorekeeper. I know you guys will take offense to this statement. I'm sorry, but that is my take on it. I've faced 95mph and seen un-Godly breaking stuff day in and day out. I've never taken a strike that I didn't know was a strike. I've never swung at a ball that I did not know was a ball. That is all while trying to hit them. Standing behind the plate watching them come in is considerably simpler. I've done that too. The problem informed fans have is the inconsistency in some of the umpires. They have every right to that opinion. Seriously you guys are the ones getting paid! If you think about it you guys are complaining about fans not being in agreement with your personal interpretation of a black and white set of rules concerning the strike zone. When I hit in high school and college, I generally had a much more accurate knowledge of the stike zone than the umpires did. I was never the guy to show up an umpire by any means, but they were wrong a lot. If I got beat in a certain at bat, then I'd tip my hat and move on. I know you guys do your best, but you've got one of the easiest and most fun jobs in the world. No need to bash fans. What difference does it make anyway. In pro ball we would not respect an umpire at all if he tried to control the fans by reprimanding them. I've seen that happen far too much in high school baseball. I mean you'll have a guy that doesn't know the infield fly rule, and he'll be consumed by what the fans think and say. Sometimes it's ridiculous. As for a fan's knowledge of the rules, I've probably forgotten more than most high school umpires know.

I dont think anyone was being condesending i think that a lot of fans get upset on a call that is made (not balls and strikes) that they dont understand I will give you a quick example runner on third attempted squeeze play the batter misses the ball the runner is hung out to dry but whenhe turns around and runs into the catcher who no longer has the ball he is awarded home so when the throw i smade to the first baseman covering home and they tag him out they dont understand why he is out. those are the things these guys are talking about we dont care about balls and strikes if we were to call that by the book we would be playing all night and no one would swing the bat (i still cant call the high pitch) you have to give a little off the plate i am talking a baseball off not in the next batters box. As far as the job being easy it is only easy if you hustle and if you are in position to make the call if you have a lapse and you ar eout of position to make the call then it is much tougher and contrary to your belief i have seen many people try and umpire and they could not do it

As far as a make up call I DO NOT DO THAT i am already mad that i missed 1 now i am gonna miss 2 I call it like i see it rather it be the 1st inning or the 7th inning you stay out of trouble that way

I think I will be sick now..If you need to get on here and blow about some mythical professional all star career, then go ahead..I think the players in any level of ball need to learn that to get respect, you have to EARN it, not expect it just because of what you happen to do for a living..You totally missed the point but that is ok. I guess it is way beneath you to understand that the hs and juco umps try just as hard and in some cases do the job as well or better than some of you pros....By the way, if it is so much easier for you to understand and read the strike zone, why are you not still in the bigs or where ever your fantasy land happened to be?? How come it is that a baseball player can succeed maybe 3 out of ten 10 times and be a star ? What else in life could a person get that kind of money for and FAIL about 70% of his opportunities??? I think maybe playing the game with all that godgiven talent running out of a persons ears does make it just a simple game after all!!! After all Its only hitting running throwing and catching...thats all there is to it..As far as your being forgetful, I can only hope that someday you do remember what baseball is...Just a Game.

I dont think anyone was being condesending i think that a lot of fans get upset on a call that is made (not balls and strikes) that they dont understand I will give you a quick example runner on third attempted squeeze play the batter misses the ball the runner is hung out to dry but whenhe turns around and runs into the catcher who no longer has the ball he is awarded home so when the throw i smade to the first baseman covering home and they tag him out they dont understand why he is out. those are the things these guys are talking about we dont care about balls and strikes if we were to call that by the book we would be playing all night and no one would swing the bat (i still cant call the high pitch) you have to give a little off the plate i am talking a baseball off not in the next batters box. As far as the job being easy it is only easy if you hustle and if you are in position to make the call if you have a lapse and you ar eout of position to make the call then it is much tougher and contrary to your belief i have seen many people try and umpire and they could not do it

As far as a make up call I DO NOT DO THAT i am already mad that i missed 1 now i am gonna miss 2 I call it like i see it rather it be the 1st inning or the 7th inning you stay out of trouble that way

Riverdaleman, please forgive me for venting in the last post, but people like that are what makes the game no longer fun for a lot of people. No more from me on this subject

Thank You

As far as the play at first base a lot of times it looks like he is past the bag but when the ball gets there he is half way down but when we wait and see play it looks like he is safe so if you see an umpire wait and then call it you know he got it right well you may not but we do if we call it too quick we are usually getting onto ourselves a lot more than you are

my boy eddie pie is one of the best

I think I will be sick now..If you need to get on here and blow about some mythical professional all star career, then go ahead..I think the players in any level of ball need to learn that to get respect, you have to EARN it, not expect it just because of what you happen to do for a living..You totally missed the point but that is ok. I guess it is way beneath you to understand that the hs and juco umps try just as hard and in some cases do the job as well or better than some of you pros....By the way, if it is so much easier for you to understand and read the strike zone, why are you not still in the bigs or where ever your fantasy land happened to be?? How come it is that a baseball player can succeed maybe 3 out of ten 10 times and be a star ? What else in life could a person get that kind of money for and FAIL about 70% of his opportunities??? I think maybe playing the game with all that godgiven talent running out of a persons ears does make it just a simple game after all!!! After all Its only hitting running throwing and catching...thats all there is to it..As far as your being forgetful, I can only hope that someday you do remember what baseball is...Just a Game.

Sorry to get you guys so worked up! I really am. This thread just sounded like people complaining about stupid stuff to me. That's all. Never said anything about the majors or being a professional UMPIRE. I also thought I was clear in saying that you guys do your best. As for your jab, that's okay. I've heard a lot worse. Yes baseball is a game, but it isn't much fun if it isn't taken seriously enough to work hard. It is a game that deserves that kind of dedication and respect!! At the upper levels, especially when you're getting paid, you've got to treat it like a job to some degree. If not you'll have a real job soon. What amazes me is how defensive you got over a little criticism. If it is that touchy of a subject, then I sincerely apologize.

Sorry to get you guys so worked up! I really am. This thread just sounded like people complaining about stupid stuff to me. That's all. Never said anything about the majors or being a professional UMPIRE. I also thought I was clear in saying that you guys do your best. As for your jab, that's okay. I've heard a lot worse. Yes baseball is a game, but it isn't much fun if it isn't taken seriously enough to work hard. It is a game that deserves that kind of dedication and respect!! At the upper levels, especially when you're getting paid, you've got to treat it like a job to some degree. If not you'll have a real job soon. What amazes me is how defensive you got over a little criticism. If it is that touchy of a subject, then I sincerely apologize.

about all you did ripper was add to the stupid stuff..........i am not an umpire but if i were i would have been offended by your condescending tone.......you are right about baseball deserving dedication and respect and if you watch baseball in district 8aaa as i do you would see that we have umps who take their roles in the game very seriously........as was previously posted there is not alot of junk that goes on in our games........they are very well ran as a rule.....

about all you did ripper was add to the stupid stuff..........i am not an umpire but if i were i would have been offended by your condescending tone.......you are right about baseball deserving dedication and respect and if you watch baseball in district 8aaa as i do you would see that we have umps who take their roles in the game very seriously........as was previously posted there is not alot of junk that goes on in our games........they are very well ran as a rule.....

THANKS Riddlers.....I said I was thru on this subject, but I am a bigger man than that..No apology needed from other poster and I agree I got a little worked up..For that I am sorry but I AM an umpire and I DO work HARD to do it right and be fair.. I work mainly 8AAA and 7AAA area and we as a group work hard and take pride in the fact that we have very few problems..I think it all goes back to our assigning officers being some of the best and encouraging us to be the best umpires we can possibly be..My hats off to Binns Jordan, Jody Hargis, and the others who put it all together to get the best umps they can to all the games, no matter what class the school happens to be..Lets all have a great rest of season and post season..cant wait!!