Middle TN Umpires

hardhitn

:thumb:

Some districts have different strike zones. 8aaa seems to give 6 inches off the plate. All the batters stand 4" off the plate to reach it. 7aaa seems to give less outside but higher pitches than 8aaa. Some umps react to fans. Some do not. Some towns fans seem more intellegent than others in their protest on calls. I've seen some umps improve a lot this year. King is probably the best I've seen this year. Boro seem to have a lot of young umps compared to other places. Recruitment?

What is the best training sessions coming up for umpires? TSSAA certification?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some districts have different strike zones. 8aaa seems to give 6 inches off the plate. All the batters stand 4" off the plate to reach it. 7aaa seems to give less outside but higher pitches than 8aaa. Some umps react to fans. Some do not. Some towns fans seem more intellegent than others in their protest on calls. I've seen some umps improve a lot this year. King is probably the best I've seen this year. Boro seem to have a lot of young umps compared to other places. Recruitment?

You can take the certification test anytime, just send in your money and you'll get the books and test back to take. Honestly, anyone can get certified, but a good association leader won't throw you to he wolves your first time out. As for training, TSSAA holds a camp every January. If you really want to start, get with your local association and do some summer ball. You don't have to be certified and there is less pressure on a rookie umpire.

Edited by Jody72

You can take the certification test anytime, just send in your money and you'll get the books and test back to take. Honestly, anyone can get certified, but a good association leader won't throw you to he wolves your first time out. As for training, TSSAA holds a camp every January. If you really want to start, get with your local association and do some summer ball. You don't have to be certified and there is less pressure on a rookie umpire.

good post

Alot of umpires will call anything from youth leagues to high school. Our Little League UIC is one and he'll call 7/8 coach pitch, middle school and high school during the course of a season. He's also been selected for the 13/14 Little League World Series this summer in Michigan for room and meals. Some guys don't like to 'lower' themselves to call games in the lower divisions, but it can keep you sharp on mechanics and responsibilities. There's no telling what the younger kids will do and you've got to be on your toes. The heckling is a little more intense too! Most parents that have followed their kid up through high school have a rudimentary understanding of how the game's played. Not so at the younger age groups. :thumb:

Hone your skills at the youth leagues and work your way up. Your partners will let you know when you're ready for the next step.

Alot of umpires will call anything from youth leagues to high school. Our Little League UIC is one and he'll call 7/8 coach pitch, middle school and high school during the course of a season. He's also been selected for the 13/14 Little League World Series this summer in Michigan for room and meals. Some guys don't like to 'lower' themselves to call games in the lower divisions, but it can keep you sharp on mechanics and responsibilities. There's no telling what the younger kids will do and you've got to be on your toes. The heckling is a little more intense too! Most parents that have followed their kid up through high school have a rudimentary understanding of how the game's played. Not so at the younger age groups. :thumb:

Hone your skills at the youth leagues and work your way up. Your partners will let you know when you're ready for the next step.

I've gotta disagree. In my opinion, trying to call different levels will actually screw an umpire up. Back when I was trying to do Little League and high school, I found that my strike zone was a little screwy, especially if I did a high school game one night and LL the next. Maybe that's just me. By the time the LL season starts high school season has been going for over a month and some of us just don't want to deal with LL parents and coaches if we don't have to.

Saying all that, I do think LL is the place for a new guy to start.

I've gotta disagree. In my opinion, trying to call different levels will actually screw an umpire up. Back when I was trying to do Little League and high school, I found that my strike zone was a little screwy, especially if I did a high school game one night and LL the next. Maybe that's just me. By the time the LL season starts high school season has been going for over a month and some of us just don't want to deal with LL parents and coaches if we don't have to.

Saying all that, I do think LL is the place for a new guy to start.

i think LL is a good proving ground........and i could see how if you called LL one night and high school the next it would be an adjustment. especially on the curveball.........i believe calling the curveball is the most challenging part of calling behind the plate.....in high school you see so many different speeds and breaks on breaking balls........imho blue really has to know what is and isn't a strike there......

another question for all you guys who call.............do you expand the zone? and if so do you expand it more with two strikes.........

i have really enjoyed posting on this thread thanks to all you guys for your candid and honest comments

i think LL is a good proving ground........and i could see how if you called LL one night and high school the next it would be an adjustment. especially on the curveball.........i believe calling the curveball is the most challenging part of calling behind the plate.....in high school you see so many different speeds and breaks on breaking balls........imho blue really has to know what is and isn't a strike there......

another question for all you guys who call.............do you expand the zone? and if so do you expand it more with two strikes.........

i have really enjoyed posting on this thread thanks to all you guys for your candid and honest comments

what do you mean expand the zone are you talking about LL or high school? In LL yes it is expanded if you dont they wont swing the bats and you will be there all night

High School i call it likei see it there are kids trying to get playing time and if they hit they play so i try to be consistant haveing said that if you have pitcher throwing strikes he willl get he border line pitch because you are in the habit of calling strikes now if you are in the habit of calling balls the border line pitch is gonna be a ball I love it when a kid throws a pitch behind the batter on 1 pitch and the next pitch is kinda close but doesnt know why it was a ball I like to start the game with a strike if it is close i will try and get it because it kinda sets the tone. Also the curve ball is not that hard to call even though the catcher makes it look really good it is easy to see if it crossed himat his neck or if it was astrike

Binns, dont you love the people that can tell the difference between the 7aaa and 8aa strike zone???? They are the same ones that can see the corners from beyond the dugout or up in the stands on EITHER SIDE of the plate!!! Do you also think that they might just with their perfect eyesight alone recognize the umps that call these two districts as being mostly the same group of guys ?? probably not , because they are too busy "calling" the games from the bleachers..Most umps dont react to fans because that would be exactly what they (fans) want and it really is not about what the fans think, it is about doing a good job and keeping the game on the field where it belongs..Why dont you invite them on out this summer when it is 95* in the shade and let them see how easy the job is?? ANY TAKERS???

Binns, dont you love the people that can tell the difference between the 7aaa and 8aa strike zone???? They are the same ones that can see the corners from beyond the dugout or up in the stands on EITHER SIDE of the plate!!! Do you also think that they might just with their perfect eyesight alone recognize the umps that call these two districts as being mostly the same group of guys ?? probably not , because they are too busy "calling" the games from the bleachers..Most umps dont react to fans because that would be exactly what they (fans) want and it really is not about what the fans think, it is about doing a good job and keeping the game on the field where it belongs..Why dont you invite them on out this summer when it is 95* in the shade and let them see how easy the job is?? ANY TAKERS???

I dont know a difference with district 8AAA and 7AAA strike zone as far as i know we all go to the same camp and i am sure Binns works with his guys just like Norfleet works with his guys i think each umpire actually has his zone but cub cadet i dont understand why you are getting so upset i dont want all these guys umpiring games that my son could be playing in

I actually get a kick out of some of the things that are said to us during a game i really like the orginal ones old ones like the plate has corners or you are missing a good game ump I like the new ones i get a good laugh out of them

what do you mean expand the zone are you talking about LL or high school? In LL yes it is expanded if you dont they wont swing the bats and you will be there all night

High School i call it likei see it there are kids trying to get playing time and if they hit they play so i try to be consistant haveing said that if you have pitcher throwing strikes he willl get he border line pitch because you are in the habit of calling strikes now if you are in the habit of calling balls the border line pitch is gonna be a ball I love it when a kid throws a pitch behind the batter on 1 pitch and the next pitch is kinda close but doesnt know why it was a ball I like to start the game with a strike if it is close i will try and get it because it kinda sets the tone. Also the curve ball is not that hard to call even though the catcher makes it look really good it is easy to see if it crossed himat his neck or if it was astrike

obviously in LL the zone needs to be more liberal..........consistent but more liberal

i really don't think i worded my question very well at all........

i guess what i was trying to ask was if the outside corner is bigger than the inside........we have all watched maddux and glavine make a living 2-3 inches off the plate for years....

also does it matter whether there are two strikes concerning widening the zone......

i am right there with what you said about pitchers hitting spots......i have preached that to mine for years

I dont know a difference with district 8AAA and 7AAA strike zone as far as i know we all go to the same camp and i am sure Binns works with his guys just like Norfleet works with his guys i think each umpire actually has his zone but cub cadet i dont understand why you are getting so upset i dont want all these guys umpiring games that my son could be playing in

I actually get a kick out of some of the things that are said to us during a game i really like the orginal ones old ones like the plate has corners or you are missing a good game ump I like the new ones i get a good laugh out of them

I get a good laugh every now and then too Riverdaleman, but my point was the poster was saying that the strike zone in the two disrticts are different and I cant understand why because the same guys work the 7 and 8aaa games in this area..(binns area ) Norfleet and Binns and also Jody Hargis all do a great job making sure that they have the best people possible to put in the games around here.. (Coffee Co. and surrounding areas)Some of the things you hear are hilarious and some arent. Doesnt bother me on the field but I do get a tickle every now and then..What is fun to me is to sort of listen to the fans' interpretation of the RULE about a call that has just been made, to the other fans and knowing that they are wrong, but will convince the fans they arent..Makes you smile on the inside..You are also right in the fact that different umps are better in that it makes the teams better by being able to adapt to different zones and such..I love working games where NO ONE knows me or my partner, dont you?

Good point. It is hot just coaching on those 95+ July and August days. We don't even have to wear any gear. Sometimes we wear shorts, which I'm sure you guys love.lol Usually the uproar from the fans is not nearly as loud or as often during the dog days. I'd be willing to bet you won't have many takers!!