Coach at Morristown West

eo1914

This is not the first or the second incident.

He is a tough coach... If you don't want your child playing for him, take him off the team. But just because 2-3 parents don't like it(hard nose style of play)....talk to him about it, don't go to the principle.

This is the first incident of this nature.

Most parents are upset about this suspension.

Why, because the "butt-chewing" was told to the team, not singled-out individuals.

It still goes back to whose kiddies went home and complained and whose kids wear pants and didn't let it bother them.

I don't claim to be a lawyer or anything close, but is it not against the law to record conversation with the consent of the second party? I agree with earlier post; it sounds like a possible setup to me.

It's pretty sad when aprox. 4 of the 15 parents on the team is what caused this.

Repeat of earlier post....GROW UP!!!!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m amazed. Is there no one out there that thinks a high school coach should have some class and character? A coach that yells explicit profanities at children is okay? What type of example is this behavior setting for these ball players? A high school coach has a position of responsibility, when it comes to the development of these young men (not just on the ball field.) I am about as far from liberal as an individual can be, but I certainly would not stand for an adult yelling the F word over and over again at my child.

Well i wasnt going to post on this one, but what lovesbball said just sent me over the edge. Yeah i was on the bus, and i heard what he said. He said TWO curse words, not 100, and after about 5 minutes he was calm. I dont know who you are but you are probably the parent of the kid who taped it. And believe me everyone on the team would like for this kid to quit, and we all think that it is ridiculous what they did. I do not always agree with stansberry, but if i need to be yelled at, then he should yell. It is just a pathetic way of the kid, and the parent to try and get more playing time. Just because you are a senior, that doesnt mean that you should start!! If you are not good then you should be on the bench point blank! By the way this kid got to start the last 5 games before this happened which even makes this more unbelievable. Whenever the principal told us that he was done for the year, Stansberry was there, and he started crying. he loved his job, and it was his dream job. Just because one player and parent was upset becuase he wasnt playing doesnt make it right to record a chewing out on the bus. The coach wasn't even yellin at the player that did this either. I just dont know how i could ever live with myself again after seeing how bad it hurt Stansberry.

Edited by EveryonesFan

That is why the player is the player and the coach is the coach. Obviously, many people thought of him highly enough as a person and a coach to do this job. Can coaches be wrong sometimes?? Absolutely. But Coach Stansbury is (or was) the man with the job and was trying to get a point across. He probably could have addressed this point with less emphasis but again I stress, he is the coach. That's why none of the parents were hired to assume that position.

Take football at JC for example. Sure, Coach U probably did some things people disagreed with and was tough on his players. But it's called discipline and it's what develops a player physically and mentally.

From what I understand, none of the players thought it to be necessary to complaint to the admin., only the parents. I could be wrong about that. But, if that is true, then to me that is a sign that the coach was making his point to his team the way he thought they'd respond to.

There is a line where it being JUST discipline stops and it moves into something else. I`m not talking about a simple case of a kid getting chewed out, most chew outs are intended to motivate, or show a player where they messed up so they won`t do it again. A chew out for the single goal of humiliation, or making an example out of a player is a totally different thing. I don`t know all the details about what happened with West, so I won`t try to relate my point to it exactly, but I do think it is wrong to completely disregard a player’s side of an issue just because it is a player’s side.

BTW, a team complaint was going to be presented to Jeff County admin after the football season, and was never intended to be made public. Word leaked and what happened happened.

Well i wasnt going to post on this one, but what lovesbball said just sent me over the edge. Yeah i was on the bus, and i heard what he said. He said TWO curse words, not 100, and after about 5 minutes he was calm. I dont know who you are but you are probably the parent of the kid who taped it. And believe me everyone on the team would like for this kid to quit, and we all think that it is ridiculous what they did. I do not always agree with stansberry, but if i need to be yelled at, then he should yell. It is just a pathetic way of the kid, and the parent to try and get more playing time. Just because you are a senior, that doesnt mean that you should start!! If you are not good then you should be on the bench point blank! By the way this kid got to start the last 5 games before this happened which even makes this more unbelievable. Whenever the principal told us that he was done for the year, Stansberry was there, and he started crying. he loved his job, and it was his dream job. Just because one player and parent was upset becuase he wasnt playing doesnt make it right to record a chewing out on the bus. The coach wasn't even yellin at the player that did this either. I just dont know how i could ever live with myself again after seeing how bad it hurt Stansberry.

That post should end all discussion of this topic, and Stansberry should be re-instated. I cant believe yall are letting this kid keep playing, there are ways to force a kid to quit, you dont want someone on your team that is going to stab your team in the back.

I have heard that he chewed his team out on the bus after blowing their big lead. Kid recorded it and it was on the bus tape as well.

Nothing Larry Ricker like, but apparnently he did use some profanity (ie: f-bombs).

I hate to sound like I'm condoning it - but I've heard of MUCH worse than that going down.

And I hate to pose this question as well, but what if this situation happened in October, not April - and we replaced the persons involved from Chuck Stansberry to Don Woods?

I have heard that he chewed his team out on the bus after blowing their big lead. Kid recorded it and it was on the bus tape as well.

Nothing Larry Ricker like, but apparnently he did use some profanity (ie: f-bombs).

I hate to sound like I'm condoning it - but I've heard of MUCH worse than that going down.

And I hate to pose this question as well, but what if this situation happened in October, not April - and we replaced the persons involved from Chuck Stansberry to Don Woods?

How true PTS...Don D. would not get any more than a little slap on the wrist. Sad but true.

I have nothing to do with West baseball, just expressing my opinion. All I have heard was he was a good coach, if a coach can not chew a player out without using the f word he needs to work on his coaching skills. I am a coach and I tell my coaches to never to use profanity to a player and never lay a hand on one. I chew my players out went I think it is needed. A coach can get his point across without using profanity, no matter how passionate he is. The West coach is young he may have learned a great lesson.

Edited by jeffersonairplane

Coach Stansberry is a great person and a coach. I wish him the best of luck. There will be plenty of opportunities for him out there. This is just a great example of parents ruining sports. Yes, there are some great parents out there but it just takes 1 or 2 to make a coach miserable. If little Chris is not playing, it is because the coach is stupid, has a personality conflict with him, or he has his favorites. It's never because he is not good enough. Suspending Coach Stansberry is a joke and leads me to believe that the administration at Morristown West is a joke. I am sure Coach made a mistake but anybody who is competitive and has a passion for something is going to be upset after blowing a big lead. We are human! We make mistakes! Is it a mistake that should cost him his career? Parents are getting crazier and crazier and kids are getting more and more disrespectful. Its getting to the point to where it's not worth the stress it costs and the time you spend away from loved ones. In the future it is going to be hard to find a good coach. Lets go back to the old days where coaches could fight back when a parent was causing problems. Most crazy parents don't have the guts to stand toe to toe with the Coach.

JMHO-

A coach is hired to do his job in a professional manner, if he was dropping fbombs in front of 14-18 year old kids- then he wasn't doing the job intended by the people who hired him. You have to teach kids how to win with class and how to lose with class. I didn't say you teach kids to be happy with losing, there is a big difference. No one is more competitive than me, but I would never curse in front of the kids I coach. That is problem with society today, we just want to quickly dismiss every screw up and pretend it's ok. If a player had been dropping fbombs then I'm sure they would have received punishment. A coach must be held to a higher standard than the players, thus a more severe punishment. You would be surprised how many of these kids look at their coach as the only positive figure in their life. I don't think anyone can say the coach was set up by the player who videotaped his rampage on cell phone. No one made the coach say what he did. I hope Chuck learns a valuable lesson, and I'm sure he'll get another chance on down the line. I wish him nothing but the best of luck in the future, but as an outsider- I think the right decision was made. Hopefully, the players will learn a valuable lesson about accountability as well.

Edited by johnnyboy

Gee whiz. The guy used profanity in what should have been a closed meeting, then apologized for it to the team, and then got canned? I'm guessing that there would be a whole lot of firings around the state if that was the standard. What's next, putting recorders in the dugout and locker room to monitor that?

I like that "pants or panties" line.

I actually had to handle a situation like that, once. In a district tourney game, my son, a senior, came into the dugout after a bad inning and when he's about two steps away from the dugout he starts a motivational lecture (that team started 3 seniors, a junior, 3 sophomores, and 2 freshmen--both frosh and a soph on the infield--so the seniors had to really lead). Unfortunately, he used a word he knows better than to use in polite company. His momma turns to me and tells me I need to scold him for doing that and some of the other mommas are looking at me, too. So, he's batting second in the inning and when he comes out on deck, I yell for him to come over to the screen. He comes over and, in my most stern voice, I say, "Son, you need to make sure you're all the way in the dugout before you say that. Now hit it hard somewhere." Momma didn't like it but all the dads did. We won the game and the tournament; and my boys wear pants.