Trying to teach my son "submarine" style pitching

ccriders25

Old Timer and Slyder,

Could not agree more with both of you. I too have a young pitcher who has a good, but exploding slider, along with a scroogie, and splitter. This may sound cruel but we are hoping for severe enough elbow injury to tighten up the elbow with surgery. At that point, we plan to add his velocity. With three or four breaking ball and off-speed pitches, we are sure to win several T-shirts from our travel leagues. Does it not bother you that some coaches and parents want their sons to be good when they get to high school! I say win when you can early and let the school coaches fend for themselves. What size of needle would you need to get the WD-40 into the elbow? shoulder?

My Motto: If your elbow ain't swelling, your not throwing enough sliders!

Needle size is irrelevant. Just make sure it has an eye on it with some thread so that you can sew 'em up if you need to while you're at it. I have found that 10# test line works best for sewing up cuts.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Needle size is irrelevant. Just make sure it has an eye on it with some thread so that you can sew 'em up if you need to while you're at it. I have found that 10# test line works best for sewing up cuts.

What would baseball be like without minds like yours? I just can't imagine.

Anybody know of any camps or personal instructors that specialize in “submarine” style pitching?

My son is 9 and no one pitches like that in his league. I can't help but think that if he were the only one, he would be tough to hit.

I’ve taken him to a couple fastpitch softball lessons hoping that he could make the adjustment to baseball but it hasn’t worked.

His arm is naturally very strong from that arm slot because he is in two, year – round bowling leagues. It makes sense to me that he should take advantage of his strength and pitch similar to how he bowls.

ANY SUGGESTIONS??

Get him working with someone who undertsands pitching. My son is a high school Junior who is number 2 in the rotation. He is 6-0 on the season with an era less than 2. He pitches submarine and is very effective. He can throw the curveball, changeup, slider and fastball from underneath. He is hard to hit. Find someone that knows what they are doing. Jason Sullivan at Full Count in Dyersburg TN does a good job with this type of pitcher.

What would baseball be like without minds like yours? I just can't imagine.

Can't say, but I live next door to a Holiday Inn Express. Maybe that accounts for something. Say E5, you think we can get this guy from Dyersburg that is so good with submarine pitchers offer a discount camp somewhere this summer for potential 9 year old major league talent???

Can't say, but I live next door to a Holiday Inn Express. Maybe that accounts for something. Say E5, you think we can get this guy from Dyersburg that is so good with submarine pitchers offer a discount camp somewhere this summer for potential 9 year old major league talent???

That would be great as long as it does not interfere with my Kickball Camp. After putting on the clinic on defending the "Punch Bunt in Kickball," I have been overwhelmed with calls and emails. I will forward the dates for my camps and we can go from there.

That would be great as long as it does not interfere with my Kickball Camp. After putting on the clinic on defending the "Punch Bunt in Kickball," I have been overwhelmed with calls and emails. I will forward the dates for my camps and we can go from there.

Just as well, I just heard that MLB is fixin' to pass a rule requiring completion of Middle School as a requirement before you can sign a contract. That ups the age limit around here to 16. Heck, most kids arms will be blown out by then. Wonder if we can sue MLB for potential loss of income. Just ain't right to deny a 9 yr old the right to make a decent living. Please send me a courtesy copy of the Kickball Punch Bunt Series Videos. I have a pre-kindergarten girl, age 7, that loves kickball. Maybe it will help her get a scholarship to Duke or Bethel or something.

I hear that an injection of WD40 will take care of a creaky elbow. Don't go for any of that cortisone though, that's like putting a foreign substance in your body. We all know WD40 works on anything. Good luck on your son's lucrative future.

Thanks for the kind words old timer. He is doing well since his playing days are over. He is assistant manager at the car wash. He actually can lift his arm up to a 90 degree angle now, in a couple more years we may try it again. I am considering coaching to share my knowledge, maybe a foster child. I have the drive to get some kid to the pros!

I am interested to see your video on the punch bunt, but we all know that defense and "rolling" win champioships. So I was wondering if you had any information on teaching the the bounding ball technique to induce pop ups or how to defend against left footed kickers?

Just as well, I just heard that MLB is fixin' to pass a rule requiring completion of Middle School as a requirement before you can sign a contract. That ups the age limit around here to 16. Heck, most kids arms will be blown out by then. Wonder if we can sue MLB for potential loss of income. Just ain't right to deny a 9 yr old the right to make a decent living. Please send me a courtesy copy of the Kickball Punch Bunt Series Videos. I have a pre-kindergarten girl, age 7, that loves kickball. Maybe it will help her get a scholarship to Duke or Bethel or something.

Can the MLB really change the age a kid can sign his pro contract? If they cannot be drafted until age 16, some parents are going to have to hold on to their jobs A LOT longer than anticipated. What about retirement for the parents. CCriders is trying to teach his kid submarine style pitching so he can be retired by 35, now he could have to work until 40?

Slyder, E5, CC, et. al

This has to be one of my all time favorite posts. (Of course sarcasm is my favorite lost art form..)

As far as the kickball concern, I've found that tying a 50 pound weight around each ankle greatly increases leg strength. It's even more effective if you have your son/daughter tread water for 20 minutes (in water 10 ft. deep or more) with those weights. I'm pretty sure that the water prevents all those pesky knee injuries, unless they spend too much time on the bottom (a situation/problem that cures itself).

Submarine pitching is another matter completely. (Well, there's the water coincidence but other than that....) I can think of two other sports that can help a young submarine pitcher: tetherball and pingpong. Both require that same underhand action in certain instances, call for pretty good hand-eye coordination, and favor the taller player. A good rule of thumb for off season practice schedules for either sport is to have one hour of practice for each year of the child's age (e.g. 2 yr. olds could only practice 2 hours a day, 6 year olds would be limited to 6 hours daily).

Unfortunately, if your child exhibits signs of apathy, inability, or "attitude problems", you may have to double your efforts (and your practice times). But then it's worth it to force, I mean mold them into what we know is best for them.

Slyder, E5, CC, et. al

This has to be one of my all time favorite posts. (Of course sarcasm is my favorite lost art form..)

As far as the kickball concern, I've found that tying a 50 pound weight around each ankle greatly increases leg strength. It's even more effective if you have your son/daughter tread water for 20 minutes (in water 10 ft. deep or more) with those weights. I'm pretty sure that the water prevents all those pesky knee injuries, unless they spend too much time on the bottom (a situation/problem that cures itself).

Submarine pitching is another matter completely. (Well, there's the water coincidence but other than that....) I can think of two other sports that can help a young submarine pitcher: tetherball and pingpong. Both require that same underhand action in certain instances, call for pretty good hand-eye coordination, and favor the taller player. A good rule of thumb for off season practice schedules for either sport is to have one hour of practice for each year of the child's age (e.g. 2 yr. olds could only practice 2 hours a day, 6 year olds would be limited to 6 hours daily).

Unfortunately, if your child exhibits signs of apathy, inability, or "attitude problems", you may have to double your efforts (and your practice times). But then it's worth it to force, I mean mold them into what we know is best for them.

In10, you may be onto something there. I know of the underwater technique with 50# weights, but I had only heard of it used on marathon runners. Something about it building up lung capacity and slowing your breathing rate down. I will study the ping pong method for my youngest, but will have to pass on the tetherball. Her lack of hand/eye coordination led to a nasty rope burn around her forehead last fall. Please pass on any other training notes you come by as off season training is only a few weeks away from starting as Middle School ends May 18th.