Public schools with their hands in the cookie jar

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Metro supporters have known about this for over a year.

As stated in other posts, it is old news. The coach is no

longer at the school.

There are other factors that I am not going to post, but

the reasons are fairly obvious.

Whipping Stratford would be like beating on a handicapped

person. It wouldn't fell right.

It took some time, but justice was served.

So let me get this straight. Hypothetically. If an AP Clerk at a business steals money from their place of employment it is OK because he doesn't make that much money anyway. But it isn't OK if that person was the CFO.

Ethically speaking, a violation is a violation. And according to the posts about USJ ... every school admin and the coaches had responsibility their. I believe the NCAA would term this as loss of institutional control.

So let me get this straight. Hypothetically. If an AP Clerk at a business steals money from their place of employment it is OK because he doesn't make that much money anyway. But it isn't OK if that person was the CFO.

Ethically speaking, a violation is a violation. And according to the posts about USJ ... every school admin and the coaches had responsibility their. I believe the NCAA would term this as loss of institutional control.

You must have institutional control before you can loose it!!!!!!!!!!!!

All eligibility and record keeping is the responsibility of the head coach, period. He can delegate that authority to someone else if he wishes. He just better make sure they know what they are doing and can be trusted. The HEAD COACH is the one who is supposed to sign the eligibility sheet at the bottom saying it is accurate. Not a guidance counselor or secretary. The coach takes the fall. Unfortunately for Stratford, that coach hit the highway as fast as he could. Could luck Lewisburg. Runtheball and shadow, I guess Stratford doesn't have a "Sparky" in the building. :lol:

All eligibility and record keeping is the responsibility of the head coach, period. He can delegate that authority to someone else if he wishes. He just better make sure they know what they are doing and can be trusted. The HEAD COACH is the one who is supposed to sign the eligibility sheet at the bottom saying it is accurate. Not a guidance counselor or secretary. The coach takes the fall. Unfortunately for Stratford, that coach hit the highway as fast as he could. Could luck Lewisburg. Runtheball and shadow, I guess Stratford doesn't have a "Sparky" in the building. :P

Your thought process is BS. The principal is responsible for everything at the school. It's easy to "pass the buck" but in truth everyone is pointing the finger at someone other than themself. When is someone going to be a man/woman and stand up and say that they made a mistake?

Your thought process is BS. The principal is responsible for everything at the school. It's easy to "pass the buck" but in truth everyone is pointing the finger at someone other than themself. When is someone going to be a man/woman and stand up and say that they made a mistake?

Taken from the bottom of the TSSAA eligibilty Form A for Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools. Registration of Eligibility--Senior High Report

"We agree that no student will enter any scholastic contest whose name is not registered as eligible. We hereby certify that the students whose names are registered are eligible to represent our high school in athletic contests under the rules of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association and the Metropolitan Nashville Board of Education.

Signature of Coach__________________ Signature of Principal________________

BOTH are responsible, not just the principal. Is that REALLY BS thinking? The difference is which one of those two that signs it will be suspended by the TSSAA and quite possibly lose their job? I guess that is BS too? The one that made the mistake left town. Quickly. He left the mess for someone else. Now that is TRULY BS! :P

Johnson used Stratford. He was (ir)responsible for everything. A principal has to trust the coaches they hire. Sometimes they make a mistake. Why would a coach want to leave something so important as eligibility in someone elses hands?

I honestly don't know Johnson or anything about him but a coach should be required to coach and the AD or athletic department secretary should be the one to research and report eligibility. Yes, I understand that both the principal and coach sign the forms but at very few schools will one of them check eligibility.

I honestly don't know Johnson or anything about him but a coach should be required to coach and the AD or athletic department secretary should be the one to research and report eligibility. Yes, I understand that both the principal and coach sign the forms but at very few schools will one of them check eligibility.

I have been required to do my own all 13 years that I have been in metro. The one year I had outside of Metro someone else did it for me. It just comes with the territory in the good ol' MNPS. Every coach in Metro is expected to do it. Some use a trusted person to "help" them with it.

All eligibility and record keeping is the responsibility of the head coach, period. He can delegate that authority to someone else if he wishes. He just better make sure they know what they are doing and can be trusted. The HEAD COACH is the one who is supposed to sign the eligibility sheet at the bottom saying it is accurate. Not a guidance counselor or secretary. The coach takes the fall. Unfortunately for Stratford, that coach hit the highway as fast as he could. Could luck Lewisburg. Runtheball and shadow, I guess Stratford doesn't have a "Sparky" in the building. :(

I agree. I should have prefaced my comments with a link to the goofy posts by those that accused USJ of cheating. They blamed everyone including the part-time janitor basically.