WORLD CUP 2006

manU721

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, in my opinion, Ballack is somewhat overrated. He is a great player no doubt, but he will not take the place of Lampard or Makalele (until he leaves). You also have Eissen, Maniche, etc to fill the roll. Not a great signing in my opinion. Sean Wright Phillips ruined his chances of being a superstar by sitting the bench at Chelsea. He should've never left Man City. They just have too many big budget players, some of which will sit the bench.

Lampard is a good player, but I don't think it should be much of a problem replacing him with Ballack, if needed. I think Ballack is a far better player. Lampard can have those good games sometimes, but I personally don't think he's up there with Ballack and many others that he's often being compare to.

a diamond midfield for chelsea makes a lot of sense using the 4 players highlighted in the bbc article

the article also makes a good point about the apparently useless wingers. chelsea have arguably 4 worldclass wingers that now look like they will only trade spots with each other from the bench to reserve games. i hope that chelsea play with the diamond midfield formation.....sure the players are all great players but the 4-3-3 formation of the last 2 years has been nearly unbeatable in england. like they say, if it aint broke....

also, that leaves the diamond with 3 out of 4 players with a similar style.

first off yes I have been to a premiereship match. Chelsea -v- West Ham at Stamford Bridge... simply amazing(I live in Chelsea).

Secondly I dont think that midfield diamond will work. You need wing play in the premiere league, and Chelsea already have the best wingplay in the countryand are almost untouchable so I dont understand changing tactics at all. As a previous poster put it, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'

stayNskool, i must say i am somewhat jealous of your living in london. i was lucky enough to see united play newcastle at old trafford in march and wish i was so close to the action all the time, nothing like any atmosphere i have seen at another professional sport anywhere.

yes a solid midfield signing for united seems to be the missing piece to the puzzle over the last couple seasons. it will hopefully give ronaldo, giggs, park and co. a little more freedom going forward.

a lot has been said about diarra coming from lyon during the break. diarra is definitely a great player, and i was actually more impressed with him at his respective position than essien.

i would love to see united get an englishman to fill the role if possible, and michael carrick immediately comes to mind. i dunno how long his contract is still running at tottenham, but he has really impressed me in their big games at controlling the flow and breaking up opposition attacks....the game against chelsea at stamford bridge, where gallas scored the winner in extra time, really stands out as to his ability.

united's defense will be solid next season, especially if evra/silvestre/o'shea one can take hold at left-back. with rooney, saha, rossi, solskjaer, and maybe ruud up front, i think the midfield is the only area of concern at the moment.

although the giggs-o'shea partnership did engineer an amazing end of season run that would be very much appreciated at the beginning of next season.

No need to be jealous, anyone can move anywhere they want so long as they have the guts to just go for it. If you want to live in the UK just go for it and you can make it happen. I unfortunately have had some obstacles thrown in my way that are making it so that I either take a job in a city/country I don't much care for or have to come home to the states. In about a week I have to make the decision, but hopefully I can get things sorted in time to move back to London next fall!!

I know one thing about United's season next year and that is, Ruud Van Nistelrooy will not be playing for them. It looks as though Lyon are willing to make a cash + player swap involving Diarra going one way and Ruud the opposite with some cash exchanged to even out the swap. Don't know if United will go for it though as Sir Alex has it in his mind that Alan Smith is the man to be the Engine of United Midfield.

On the plus side for the Liverpool fan in me, with Tim Howard going out on loan to Everton, I know longer have any reason to pull for the Red Devils so I can return to my general distaste for all you Mancs!!! haha Although if Giuseppe Rossi ever decides to stop being stubborn and play for the US national team rather than pining to play for an Italia that doesnt want him I may have to start checking if he's getting time or scoring goals for United. Bollocks!

United need to make a couple signings to bolster their Roster to make a run at stealing Second place from Chelsea next season(Liverpool are gonna take the title I can feel it!!) and I would say they are more than solid in attack, but might could use a defender or 2. and a holding midfielder as has already been mentioned. But I like the way they look with Heinze returning at left back, and Evra developing even further and Vidic learning the English game in the center of defence to add some youth and depth to a defence that already has O'Shea, Ferdinand, Silvestre, and Neville.

The only thing I see lacking is a true left winger but keiran richardson and park ji sung are developing at an astonishing rate and could easily fill the roll that Ryan giggs will be leaving eventually.