WORLD CUP 2006

manU721

Kick-off is in almost 6 weeks. Everyone knows the contenders: Holland, Italy, England, Argentina, and the biggest favorite of all--Brazil. The underdogs: Togo, Ghana, Trindad & Tobago, Australia, and Ukraine. The middle-grounders that could suprise: Portugal, Spain, Mexico, France, Czech Republic, Ivory Coast, and the United States. Who of these exceed expectations or disapoint millions?

People also know that upsets happen and the favorites go down. Logic says that Brazil should have no problem winning their 6th WC. Experts say this could be the most talented Brazilian squad ever. Do they win it? Who could stop them?

What do England do about Wayne Rooney? Do they take him? Who could possibly replace him? Many of England's starters are retiring after the cup and they want to go out on top, is this their year?

Thierry Henry is probably the 2nd best player in the world, can he take France back to glory? France has a extremely talented squad on paper, do they finally put it together?

Argentina vs. Holland, probably the best match-up in the group stage, who wins? Does the winner of this game set themselves up for a trip to the final?

Finally, the United States. This will be our most talented squad we have ever taken. Is our squad good enough to beat the Italians, the Czechs, or even Ghana? Say we win our group and avoid Brazil, how much farther do we go?

Lots of questions and many more, post any thoughts, answers, or questions on this thread.

Edited by manU721

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kick-off is in almost 6 weeks. Everyone knows the contenders: Holland, Italy, England, Argentina, and the biggest favorite of all--Brazil. The underdogs: Togo, Ghana, Trindad & Tobago, Australia, and Ukraine. The middle-grounders that could suprise: Portugal, Spain, Mexico, France, Czech Republic, Ivory Coast, and the United States. Who of these exceed expectations or disapoint millions?

People also know that upsets happen and the favorites go down. Logic says that Brazil should have no problem winning their 6th WC. Experts say this could be the most talented Brazilian squad ever. Do they win it? Who could stop them?

What do England do about Wayne Rooney? Do they take him? Who could possibly replace him? Many of England's starters are retiring after the cup and they want to go out on top, is this their year?

Thierry Henry is probably the 2nd best player in the world, can he take France back to glory? France has a extremely talented squad on paper, do they finally put it together?

Argentina vs. Holland, probably the best match-up in the group stage, who wins? Does the winner of this game set themselves up for a trip to the final?

Finally, the United States. This will be our most talented squad we have ever taken. Is our squad good enough to beat the Italians, the Czechs, or even Ghana? Say we win our group and avoid Brazil, how much farther do we go?

Lots of questions and many more, post any thoughts, answers, or questions on this thread.

honestly, with all the talent brazil has, it's really hard for me to see any other team winning it. but like you said, favorites lose too. but when you have players like ronaldinho, ronaldo, kaka, roberto carlos, cafu, robinho and adriano all lining up on the same team, its pretty intimidating.

as for the US, i think they will have a battle to get advance out of the group. italy has a lot of talent while the czechs are just a solid team that are hard to beat. its definitely possible but it will be difficult.

disappointments:

france- yes they have henry, hes insane. but one player cant carry a country thru the WC. and lets face it, zizou isnt wat he used to be.

england- before Rooney got hurt they had a very respectable chance. now his tournament hopes are slipping away as are englands. they're still contenders but they always seem to underachieve in the WC.

favorite: brazil

underdog:ukraine

overated: mexico

england: who do they start in goal

who plays leftback

who plays leftwing

with owen and rooney out who their goal scorer

john terry and sol campball are on one leg

france has to avoid brazil

argentina and holland will probably tie

just hope the usa gets all points they need, ghana beats either the czechs or italy and hope italy and czechs tie

Mjuhb,

England has a very reliable left back in Ashley Cole.

I think they also has a great load of attacking talent besides Rooney. For Owen, I don't think he should have been the one starting up top with Rooney so, no problem there. may I ask why you think mexico is overated?

Henry is one sick player and watching the entire Arsenal(little france) play, its easy to see that Henry is not going to be alone . Zidane is not like before, but is still extremely dangerous. I think France should be a contender for the title.

Edited by Chizaggi

Mjuhb,

I think they also has a great load of attacking talent besides Rooney. For Owen, I don't think he should have been the one starting up top with Rooney so, no problem there. may I ask why you think mexico is overated?

Henry is one sick player and watching the entire Arsenal play, its easy to see that Henry is not going to be alone . Zidane is not like before, but is still extremely dangerous.

Who do you think should be up top for England? I think that Jermaine Defoe should be given a shot even though he hasn't really been involved in the starting 11 for Tottenham. I think he has so much explosive speed and pace that I think he would fit right in to any line-up. Darren Bent for Charlton would also be a good choice, however his decision making is suspect sometimes. To answer your question Mjuhb, I think Joe Cole will be playing left wing, or maybe Shaun Wright-Phillips. Cole could also be put up top with Owen.

I really think that Holland can make a run this year, they have the attacking tools to demolish some teams.

Mjuhb,

Henry is one sick player and watching the entire Arsenal(little france) play, its easy to see that Henry is not going to be alone . Zidane is not like before, but is still extremely dangerous. I think France should be a contender for the title.

ashley cole just made his 1st start in about 7 months so he could either be rusty, fresh or lack match fitness

nobody likes their rivals that why i think their overrated the us owns mexico

i can't wait for arsenal vs barcalona may 17

Who do you think should be up top for England? I think that Jermaine Defoe should be given a shot even though he hasn't really been involved in the starting 11 for Tottenham. I think he has so much explosive speed and pace that I think he would fit right in to any line-up. Darren Bent for Charlton would also be a good choice, however his decision making is suspect sometimes. To answer your question Mjuhb, I think Joe Cole will be playing left wing, or maybe Shaun Wright-Phillips. Cole could also be put up top with Owen.

I really think that Holland can make a run this year, they have the attacking tools to demolish some teams.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/w...tor/3914143.stm

joe cole he's more of a right winger but he play center forward for chelsea

wright-phillips is a 25 million$ bench warmer i doubt if he even has a chance

well i haven't been keeping up with the World Cup as thus far, but i did not see Germany up there, are they not going? or are they just not any good?

I knew I forgot someone, I would say they are favorites because home-field advantage means a lot during the WC.

I knew I forgot someone, I would say they are favorites because home-field advantage means a lot during the WC.

Yes Germany is going b/c they are the host country, and i have the privelige of being able to be in europe at the time and probably go to a game or too, and being that Michael Ballack is my favorite player, i will have to go with germany as the winners of this years world cup 2006

well i haven't been keeping up with the World Cup as thus far, but i did not see Germany up there, are they not going? or are they just not any good?

personally, i think england should be playing crouch up top with defoe, or even gerrard, benitez has used them him there before, he will not be your forward to just out run a defence, but a someone who holds play up and can hit one heck of a shot, and i know they say peter crouch is to lazy... ect, but fact is he is 6'7 or 8 or whatever, and not many people can outhead him, you look at englands crossers, they have some of the best crossers in the world, gary neville is a splendid crosser, beckham, lampard, gerrard and even carrick if he is to get time... as for left midfielders, i think aaron lennon from tottenham should sneak a spot into the squad, he has been brilliant in the premiership and deserves to go... defoe is a great player and should get some play time at some point, as for rooney, i know they say there's not much of a chance, but when all hopes were rested on the 20 star, how could you not take him even as a morale booster, and give the squad some hope and make them think he might be playing at some point, because steven gerrard's morale is low for england after saying they cant win it without rooney, so why not take him just for some confidence? i know it is taking up 1 spot, but how many of the 20 odd players will even play? so rooney should be included and maybe even play in the later stages if possible

well the fact is, England has a very easy group. Sweden may be tough, but England has their number every time they play. Paraguay and Trinidad & Tobago won't be easy just because its the World Cup and everybody comes to play, but come on, they won't be England even without Rooney.

I don't see any reason why Spain can't make a run, does anyone have any thoughts about them?