WORLD CUP 2006

manU721

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is Sven thinking? Walcott instead of Defoe? Where's Bent, not even a reserve? Sven is easily the worst manager England has ever had, how did he get the job anyway? Who did he sleep with? The queen??

steve mcclaren of middlesboro takes over august 1st

don't worry defoe will be on the squad because i don't think rooney will heal before the june 10th

the USA is ranked 4th in the world

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/ind...pr-2006,00.html

Edited by mjuhb

I will take that as a disagreement, but not a very strong arguement. Nice job.

I realize that most people give them this ranking, but it is hard for me take a ranking in the top ten seriously when you look at some of the perrenial power houses in the world :France, England, Italy, Argentina, Germany, Spain to name a few, all of which are ranked BEHIND the USA in World rankings..... right. There's just as many who would love to get the USA in a draw over nearly any other team I'm sure.

As far as heart and desire go, the USA is there, however they lack the tradition and talent to even compare to other countries. They will get there, but I think that it will be a while.

Who knows, they'll probably win.

I like the boldness Sven shows in taking 2 young exciting players like Walcot and Lennon.

I dont think anyone should even think of an England pairing minus Michael Owen because noone in England has the ability to turn a game with a single instant of brilliance the way he does. If Rooney doesnt get fit (god forbid) Defoe gets the call up and Owen and Crouch make a nice partnership up top.

Did I seriously here someone nominate Calamity James as the Starter over Paul Robinson?? Christ Son its time to get your head examined.

Also I'll take Rio as the partner to John Terry(who is completely healthy for those of you who think he's injured) because Rio is simply the better Center Halve than Sol over the past couple seasons.

What hole on the left?? Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge have you covered all day and Joe Cole has been brilliant this season in that role for Chelsea. With backup Wingers the likes of Downing, Lennon, and Jenas(who can cover every position in the midfield) England have options.

With or without Rooney, England have a great shot but are simply lacking in confidence.

G: Robinson

LB: Cole

CB: Terry

CB: Ferdinand

RB: Neville

LM: Cole

CM: Gerrard

CM: Lampard

RM: Beckham ©

CF: Crouch

ST: Owen

This is a midfield that in attack can play a la Cruyff's Dutch squads. Total football at its best. Shapeless yet in knowledgable of where they need to be. Throw the 2 marking backs in and you have 6 players who can flood into the attack and still cover other positions. This England team should be fun to watch, even with the sometimes ungainly Crouch. The funny thing about Crouch is that his touch is magnificent and he involves others into the attack which plays well with a goal poacher like Owen, and Midfielders such as Gerrard, Lampard, and Cole who make those bombing runs into the box.

Edited by stayNskool

Holland...really? I can see enjoying their style of play but frankly I don't know if they have the bite to march all the way through this tournament. Although I wouldnt bet against Van Nistelrooy being the tournaments top scorer after his walk-out before the Charlton match he has a job to prove he is still worth an investment for teams this coming transfer season. As far as European teams going furthest, I will make a suprise pick of Spain, I know they always seem to unerachieve in the World Cup but I love their overall talent!!

Sven admitted that even he had not seen Walcott play in person. He's said "hello" to him a few times, but everything else was based on Wenger's decision and game footage. A bold move, but why not? I think he can live up to the hype.

Holland...really? I can see enjoying their style of play but frankly I don't know if they have the bite to march all the way through this tournament. Although I wouldnt bet against Van Nistelrooy being the tournaments top scorer after his walk-out before the Charlton match he has a job to prove he is still worth an investment for teams this coming transfer season. As far as European teams going furthest, I will make a suprise pick of Spain, I know they always seem to unerachieve in the World Cup but I love their overall talent!!

Spain..not a bad choice. They have a new breed of young talent like Reyes, Luis Garcia, Fabregas, etc. I think the teams in the past have been plauged by old guys, and this Spain team is young and talented. It should be interesting nonetheless. I think the Czech Republic can do some damage. They have a tremendous and HUGE (6 ft. 8 in.) striker in Jan Koller. Rezinski, Baros, Nedved, and Cech, one of the top keepers in the world. Nedved, despite recent troubles (one bad game vs Arsenal, the one time we get to see Juventus on tv), but he has still won player of the year honors, and is still a top class player. I think the USA will have a tougher time than most people think. Anyways, tourny starts in less than 30 days!

Edited by lcsoccer

They have a new breed of young talent like Reyes, Luis Garcia, Fabregas, etc.

Although i personally cant stand arsene wenger, he does seem to find unknown players that turn star status real quick. im not a big fan of reyes, but fabregas will be world class before his 21st birthday at this rate, must be nice......

cant wait to see him against barca next wednesday, will need to be brilliant for arsenal