WORLD CUP 2006

manU721

i have watched the EPL all year and i thought paul robinson of tottenham was the 2nd best goalie next to jens lehman in the premiership

Lehman really has come along well this season. I think Robinson is OK but if I was buying a goalie, Lehman, Van Der Saar and Ceck would be higher on my list. I also like Buffon for Juventus.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lehman really has come along well this season. I think Robinson is OK but if I was buying a goalie, Lehman, Van Der Saar and Ceck would be higher on my list. I also like Buffon for Juventus.

well he is good enough to start for england plus john terry and sol campball can make any goalie look good

Don't even mention the possibility of David James. He is an absolute incompetent keeper. Just today he made yet another blunder that cost Manchester City dearly. He is a walking disaster. I am old enough to remember when we won the World Cup in 1966 and we had an incredible keeper by the name of Gordon Banks. England don't have similar high quality options for this tournament (nor in 2002 with Seaman who let in an easy goal against Brazil when we had the lead).

On paper Brazil are favorites, but there could be some surprises. I have really been impressed with Portugal over the last 2-4 years.

As we all know soccer is a funny game. Greece were not that great a team in Euro 2004 yet they won it by playing boring soccer and frustrating talented teams by killing the flow of the game. They scored on set pieces. Fortunately they are not part of the World Cup this time, but all it takes is one off day and even Brazil can be humbled by lesser opponents.

I am you dont agree with my choice, dont get me wrong robinson is the more consistent of the two, i just feel that when david james wants to play(like in games against manchester united, chelsea, those kinda teams) then he is the better goal keeper of the two, no question he is more athletic than paul robinson, but i just believe he can really prove himself in big games, thats all....

• Goalkeepers: Robinson (Tottenham), James (Manchester City), Green (Norwich)

• Defenders: G Neville (Manchester United), R Ferdinand (Manchester United), Terry (Chelsea), A Cole (Arsenal), Campbell (Arsenal), Carragher (Liverpool), Bridge (Chelsea)

• Midfielders: Beckham (Real Madrid), Carrick (Tottenham), Lampard (Chelsea), Gerrard (Liverpool), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Jenas (Totenham), Downing (Middlesbrough), J Cole (Chelsea), Lennon (Tottenham)

• Forwards: Rooney (Manchester United), Owen (Newcastle), Crouch (Liverpool), Walcott (Arsenal).

• Standby players: Scott Carson, Luke Young, Nigel Reo-Coker, Jermain Defoe, Andy Johnson.

theo walcott has played no premiership games this year and plays on arsenal's reserve and u-20 teams

sven is waiting on rooney and owen to get fit

My Predictions:

Germany, Poland- A

England, Sweden-B

Ivory Coast, Argentina-C (surprising I know)

Portugal, Mexico-D

Czech Republic, Italy-E

Brazil Croatia-F

France, Togo-G

Spain, Ukraine-H

Germany v Sweden- Germany

Argentina v Mexico- Argentina

England v Poland- England

Portugal vs. Ivory Coast- Portugal

Italy v Croatia- Italy

France v. Ukraine- France

Brazil v. Czech Rep.- Brazil

Spain v Togo- Spain

Germany v Argentina- Argentina

England v Portugal- England

Italy v France- France

Brazil v Spain- Brazil

England v Argentina- Argentina

France v Brazil- Brazil

Brazil- World Champions

It's a longshot calling Ivory Coast over the Netherlands, but I think they have the style and talent to do it. The Netherlands are a very strong team, but I just don't see how you can go from not making the WC in 2002 to advancing far in the tournament. They are very talented but also very young. I think van Basten is crazy for not calling up Seedorf, Davids, and Maakay. The Ivory Coast have experienced guys like Drogba, Toure, and Eboue. It should be quite a cup. Argue with me PLEASE!

Edited by lcsoccer

My Predictions:

Germany, Poland- A

England, Sweden-B

Ivory Coast, Argentina-C (surprising I know)

Portugal, Mexico-D

Czech Republic, Italy-E

Brazil Croatia-F

France, Togo-G

Spain, Ukraine-H

Germany v Sweden- Germany

Argentina v Mexico- Argentina

England v Poland- England

Portugal vs. Ivory Coast- Portugal

Italy v Croatia- Italy

France v. Ukraine- France

Brazil v. Czech Rep.- Brazil

Spain v Togo- Spain

Germany v Argentina- Argentina

England v Portugal- England

Italy v France- France

Brazil v Spain- Brazil

England v Argentina- Argentina

France v Brazil- Brazil

Brazil- World Champions

It's a longshot calling Ivory Coast over the Netherlands, but I think they have the style and talent to do it. The Netherlands are a very strong team, but I just don't see how you can go from not making the WC in 2002 to advancing far in the tournament. They are very talented but also very young. I think van Basten is crazy for not calling up Seedorf, Davids, and Maakay. The Ivory Coast have experienced guys like Drogba, Toure, and Eboue. It should be quite a cup. Argue with me PLEASE!

i dont see how you have englad making it to the semi's. i know they're talented, but rooney and even possibly terry could potentially be out. they've always underachieved when it came time for the world cup. as for my predictions:

A-Germany, Poland

B-England, Sweden

C-Holland, Argentina

D-Portugal, Mexico

E-Italy, USA

F-Brazil, Japan

G-France, South Korea

H-Spain, Ukraine

Germany vs. Sweden- Germany

Argentina vs. Mexico- Mexico

England vs. Poland- England

Portugal vs. Holland- Holland

USA vs. Japan- USA

France vs. Ukraine- France

Brazil vs. Italy- Brazil

Spain vs. South Korea- Spain

Germany vs. Mexico- Germany

England vs. Holland- Holland

USA vs. France- France

Brazil vs. South Korea- Brazil

Germany vs. Holland- Holland

France vs. Brazil- Brazil

Finals

Brazil vs. Holland- Brazil

The draw is very favorable for England. I believe if Rooney comes back they can go far. You also have to consider who tops the Argentina/Holland group. I think Holland is a better matchup for England than Argentina. I just don't see Holland making it far with a young team. England doesn't have to play anyone til the quarterfinals. By the way, John Terry has been cleared to play. Xrays determined this a few days ago, so he'll be fine.

This is kind of random, but what is up with Taylor Twellman not making it on the U.S. nat'l team? Twellman has played amazingly with NE Revolution in the MLS. He also just recently scored two goals agains the LA Galaxy, who are known to be a good MLS team. Anybody know why Arena didn't take him?

arena said he opted for brian ching over twellman because of the age factor, thinking that ching is a little more mature and would handle the pressure better....although twellman does have really good potential for the future

Walcott (Arsenal).

theo walcott has played no premiership games this year and plays on arsenal's reserve and u-20 teams

What is Sven thinking? Walcott instead of Defoe? Where's Bent, not even a reserve? Sven is easily the worst manager England has ever had, how did he get the job anyway? Who did he sleep with? The queen??