When Is A School Guilty Of Recruiting?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys talk about this all the time and I'm curious as to what makes a school guilty of recruiting???? Private or Public.

Don't name schools just tell us all what is it that you consider recruiting.

There seems to be many Gurus on this topic in this forum.

Interesting topic.

My 2 cents right now:

• School system/school paying tuition fully when it is against the rules. For example, at open zoned schools like the ones in Blount County or at a D1 private ... since D2 privates can do this "legally".
  • Finding the parent of a said prospect a job or providing a job outside of the person being directly employed at the school such as a coach or teacher.
  • Member of the administration or LEGAL representative of a school making contact with a kid in a recruited role (don't ask me what recruited role means). That does NOT include lil' Johnnie's daddy telling a fellow summer ball team parent that they should consider their school.

I may have more to add later, but these are the biggest ones off the top of my head.

The rule is pretty vague really and uses the term "undue influence". That`s the big question...what is undue influence?

Exactly - that is what is playing out in court right now with the BA v. TSSAA. I think once that is FINALLY over, we will either get a more clear idea of what recruiting really is from the eyes of the TSSAA ... or they may be bankrupt and it won't matter at all. :P

Exactly - that is what is playing out in court right now with the BA v. TSSAA. I think once that is FINALLY over, we will either get a more clear idea of what recruiting really is from the eyes of the TSSAA ... or they may be bankrupt and it won't matter at all. :thumb:

What you don't understand/realize is that if the TSSAA goes under, they will simply start another organization with publics only and the privates will start another with privates only. If you think that the TSSAA going under will bring the two together, then you surprise me with your stupidity. The ramifications of the TSSAA going down have already been discussed by the powers that be in both camps. I can guarantee you that if the TSSAA goes down there will be a complete split. BOOK IT!

What you don't understand/realize is that if the TSSAA goes under, they will simply start another organization with publics only and the privates will start another with privates only. If you think that the TSSAA going under will bring the two together, then you surprise me with your stupidity. The ramifications of the TSSAA going down have already been discussed by the powers that be in both camps. I can guarantee you that if the TSSAA goes down there will be a complete split. BOOK IT!

No stupidity here. If the publics get together and start a new organization, it will once again be ruled an institution of state government - just like it has been now during all the BA rulings. At that point, the discrimination ruling that so far has been ruled in BA's favor forces them to include privates ... as we are all paying state taxes and are eligible to participate in state sanctioned organizations.

Come on now. You have the unique perspectice of seeing this from a magnet school and private school perspective since you and your wife are at each respectively. Don't you think that any new organization made up of publicly funded entities will be sued by privates to the point of bankruptcy again to be allowed in? Please don't surprise me with your stupidity. :thumb:

Back on topic ... when do other's think a school is guilty of recruiting?

No stupidity here. If the publics get together and start a new organization, it will once again be ruled an institution of state government - just like it has been now during all the BA rulings. At that point, the discrimination ruling that so far has been ruled in BA's favor forces them to include privates ... as we are all paying state taxes and are eligible to participate in state sanctioned organizations.

Come on now. You have the unique perspectice of seeing this from a magnet school and private school perspective since you and your wife are at each respectively. Don't you think that any new organization made up of publicly funded entities will be sued by privates to the point of bankruptcy again to be allowed in? Please don't surprise me with your stupidity. <_<

Back on topic ... when do other's think a school is guilty of recruiting?

Is there a case precedent for an action like this (other than BA v. TSSAA)?

It sure seems like some private school supporters are not interested in competing against other privates on a full time basis. So much in fact that they will sue to get out of having to play each other. Not trying to fire anyone up but I wonder if the fact that Ensworth and JPII opening and pulling a number of kids away from established private schools in nashville has caused these feeling?

When the school charges full tuition fee for a high school student/athlete but allows his two younger siblings in elementary/middle schoolto go to school free.

Edited by ctf33

Is there a case precedent for an action like this (other than BA v. TSSAA)?

It sure seems like some private school supporters are not interested in competing against other privates on a full time basis. So much in fact that they will sue to get out of having to play each other. Not trying to fire anyone up but I wonder if the fact that Ensworth and JPII opening and pulling a number of kids away from established private schools in nashville has caused these feeling?

When the school charges full tuition fee for a high school student/athlete but allows his two younger siblings in elementary/middle schoolto go to school free.

The word on the street is that the private schools do like to compete against each other but when the D2 schools have to travel 3+ hours for games it is not only expensive but it takes the kids out of the classroom (which is why most attend private schools) and it is dangerous for families to be driving home at 2:00am after a football game when they could play a team that is less than a mile from their school and be home before 10:00pm. If people want to see this issue come to a head, watch what happens if we have a tragedy with a family or a group of students in the early morning hours returning from a football or basketball game. Let's hope that God protects these students and their family!

Edited by cbg

"The word on the street is that the private schools do like to compete against each other but when the D2 schools have to travel 3+ hours for games it is not only expensive but ..."

maybe the d-1 privates can step up and help out.

as you can read on here, their supporters are big on better competition.

surely, competing with the d-2 is just what they are looking for...

The word on the street is that the private schools do like to compete against each other but when the D2 schools have to travel 3+ hours for games it is not only expensive but it takes the kids out of the classroom (which is why most attend private schools) and it is dangerous for families to be driving home at 2:00am after a football game when they could play a team that is less than a mile from their school and be home before 10:00pm. If people want to see this issue come to a head, watch what happens if we have a tragedy with a family or a group of students in the early morning hours returning from a football or basketball game. Let's hope that God protects these students and their family!

Your point is well taken. But I have been on 2 hour road trips in my life before for regular season and play-off/tournament games. I am not making light of your concern but by that standard no one should travel because of the inherent risks involved.

If all the private schools were in one division, their travel would decrease from current levels, overall. There would also be enough for more than one division in the sports other than football. I really believe it's been kept to one division to scare some schools into not joining Division II. As for sports like baseball, etc, where there are more games than in football, be creative with the scheduling, play district games on weekends, schedule doubleheaders, only play one district game per year per opponent. Play your local opponents on weekdays. I think I saw Polk County was playing a couple of Chattanooga teams in softball or baseball, at one of the Chattanooga team's school.

Your point is well taken. But I have been on 2 hour road trips in my life before for regular season and play-off/tournament games. I am not making light of your concern but by that standard no one should travel because of the inherent risks involved.

It isn't just a 2 hour trip on occasion. It will be almost weekly for every sport. Beyond that, why wouldn't they want to compete with kids locally too? Their families pay taxes and deserve to participate in state sanctioned events like everyone else.