Farragut Class AAA State Champs

timbdp

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soup,

That's funny about the text messaging. I was doing the same thing with mine. The last couple of nights he was texting me asking for updates on their games.

I had to send one at the end of each inning last night during the championship! As he said at the end, "that's awesome!"

As you said, once an Admiral... :thumb:

QUOTE(SoupKitchen @ May 27 2006 - 06:06 AM)

2nd post within the same "Blue Moon"......I was thinking about what this Admiral team did this past week. In '03 FHS was clearly the dominate team - Houston and Pomeranz were good but Cobb and Company were better that day and then basically ran away with it. '04 FHS was for the most part more dominate from wire-to-wire in the regular and post seasons..,...they had a number of "tools" to get the job done. Munford was always around but just couldn't get to us. Those two teams FHS squads are argueuably two of the overall best this state has ever produced. So, this may well be the most satisfing for Coach Pharr.

This years Championship squad is younger and less inexperienced than FHS has sent to the state tourney in some time. They also lost a few more than FHS is typically used to, however, as is the norm "good pitching beats good hitting." Much of the credit goes not just to Catty - who we all know is the "cream of the crop" - but to the rest of the Admiral staff for their jobs when Rob is not pitching........and lets never forget the main ingredient - Tommy Pharr. If you will notice another major key 1st win/last win '03 Cobb/Cobb, '04 Waldrop/Waldrop, '05 Catapano/Catapano.....this says to me the guy's in the middle did their job to get the "Ace in his place"......

A parent of a young pitcher "on the hill" (for you non-Farragut folks that is the youth ball park in Farragut) asked me yesterday what it takes to pitch at Farragut. Was it speed? A good curveball? My answer was "yes," but more than that its hitting the spot. If you can hit the spot you can likely pitch anywhere....and this is what Coach Pharr demands....and I feel the on-going key to Farragut's pitching and overall year-to-year success. He coaches his boys up to that level. Speed and guile are great, but if you can put it where the mitt is....you can win. Of course you need hitting and defense - that from a Father of a hitter - and goodness knows the Admiral's hit the ball this weekend (Atta Boy David Reynolds/Chip Askew/Barton Ivy - all from our era) and all the rest of the position players.

So, another GIANT CONGRATS for the Admiral baseballer's and Coach Pharr.

My last comment is a question......

Who wins the "Stephen Hahn Award" this year ( given to the pitcher who comes in when the state tourney run is on the line and and gets FHS to the final game ).

Previous winner's (quietly awarded by me...someone else will need to pick up this mantle) are:

-03' - Stephen Hahn

-04' - Tyler Powell

-05' - ?????

I would give this year's to jordan cooper , a freshman, who threw the first game on thursday against collierville, which allowed lawson cheek to pitch for the second game and go to the championship game. we had to win two on thursday and he helped in the first step.

I would give this year's to jordan cooper , a freshman, who threw the first game on thursday against collierville, which allowed lawson cheek to pitch for the second game and go to the championship game. we had to win two on thursday and he helped in the first step.

Coop is certainly a worthy nominee.... Another would be Mikey Joseph. His pickoff of a runner at 2B after a leadoff double helped seal a win in the tournament for the Admirals.

It's an axiom for the ages: "Once an Admiral, always an Admiral."

Coop is certainly a worthy nominee.... Another would be Mikey Joseph. His pickoff of a runner at 2B after a leadoff double helped seal a win in the tournament for the Admirals.

It's an axiom for the ages: "Once an Admiral, always an Admiral."

What does Farragut have coming back for next year compared to Bearden and others.

I was gonna say that's unbelieveable,but after reading some more about the Admiral's recent baseball history maybe more expected. Still,another GREAT run for Farragut. There is no doubt you are the premire 3A baseball program in Tennessee. :thumb:

THE SQUAD :thumb:

You are correct in your post. The way to judge a great coach is by how a team is playing at the end. If they get better by tournament time. Hats off again to Coach Pharr for getting the most from his players!

agreed^... i noticed a few errors and mental mistakes by the admirals early on in the tournament, as all teams have, and i saw pharr do nothing but encourage his kids with a pat on the tail and a few words to get them fired up and to keep their chin up. coach was very strategic, seemed to know the game front and back, and seemed to love his players. classy, classy, classy, along with knowing the game and being disciplined all came back on coach pharr. hats off, coach... again :thumb:

soupkitchen, opperman - did ya notice the soundbyte I played as the umpires came onto the field for the Bartlett - Farragut title game?

hint: "Behind the bag ...."

can ya guess the reason I played it???

dl,

I did not listen to the game....actually was in Houston for the East Carolina vs. Tulane game. What is the reason?...I must be a little dense.

Edited by SoupKitchen

agreed^... i noticed a few errors and mental mistakes by the admirals early on in the tournament, as all teams have, and i saw pharr do nothing but encourage his kids with a pat on the tail and a few words to get them fired up and to keep their chin up. coach was very strategic, seemed to know the game front and back, and seemed to love his players. classy, classy, classy, along with knowing the game and being disciplined all came back on coach pharr. hats off, coach... again :)

haha... a pat on the back in tournament time? thats impressive... normally he has his game face on and you better enter the dugout through the other side

Just think what kind of power they would have been if the UT Coachs kid didn't grad early!

Congrats to a great school, team and coach!

That was last year's team that was better and didnt win it... along with other great players like brown and jennings.... just shows you that you have to be playing your best at that time

Edited by STATEment04