8th graders and football

I am wondering if an 8th grader plays in a scrimmage game for a High School that he is not a part of yet and is still in school at his Junior HIgh is it against the rules? The school he comes from is a city school system and the school he is playing scrimmages for is a county system. Is this ilegal? If this is ilegal then what else is there in the TSSAA rule book besides scetion 8? THanks for your input.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am wondering if an 8th grader plays in a scrimmage game for a High School that he is not a part of yet and is still in school at his Junior HIgh is it against the rules? The school he comes from is a city school system and the school he is playing scrimmages for is a county system. Is this ilegal? If this is ilegal then what else is there in the TSSAA rule book besides scetion 8? THanks for your input.

This was actually a common practice when I attended a public school. I guess people should really up in arms about it. If I was you I would report it ... they will never self report that. Be sure to go down to practice and take a picture of the infraction. :thumb:

It really depends on the sport I guess. TCA had a back up pitcher that played a pretty good role in their softball State Championship this year.

Don't forget, her older sister Ivy (main pitcher) was just an eighth grader last year when they finished 3rd in State. Look at USJ's baseball team this year for 8th grader contributions also. A good athlete, no matter the age, can contribute alot.

Edited by Old Timer

I really don't know how much of a difference an 8th grader can make but I will tell you this. I do think that if the child gets hurt while in a scrimmage the coach should be held responsible for anything that happens. That includes TSSAA getting involved. :thumb:

its not only the coaches fault..im sure that the parents had to give there consent to let his/her son play in that scrimmage....and im sure the child knows what can happen when they are playin with the big boys..unless the coach just pressured the person to play its not only his fault

its not only the coaches fault..im sure that the parents had to give there consent to let his/her son play in that scrimmage....and im sure the child knows what can happen when they are playin with the big boys..unless the coach just pressured the person to play its not only his fault

Well that isn't the question. I am wanting to know if it is legal or not? He goes to or did go to an Elementary School at the time of the scrimmage and wasn't in High School yet and hadn't signed in at that High School.

Well that isn't the question. I am wanting to know if it is legal or not? He goes to or did go to an Elementary School at the time of the scrimmage and wasn't in High School yet and hadn't signed in at that High School.

It's probably not legal..exspecially for a real game...it may not matter if it was just a scrimmage...but im not sure...