Maryville and 5A

REBELRON

Region 3-4A is by far the toughest league up and down around. In 5A Oak Ridge is a good team, Farragut has gotten better, DB is still good, Soddy Daisy good, Ooltewah is pretty good, Sevier Co normally pretty good. Now that is two different regions in 5A. Knox Central hangs with any of them, Powell beats at least 4 out of six, and Knox West hangs with half of them. Maryville takes all these teams just like they do everyone else. Maryville will be as dominant in 5A as they have been in 4A.

Come on!!! It doesn't matter who would hang with who, what counts in wins and losses. Central can hang with Maryville, so what?? Central would lose to OR, DB, and possibly Ootlewah, just out of the teams you mentioned. And, also, why are you using Soddy Daisy in your argument? Last time I checked 4-6 wasn't good. Powell does not beat four out of six, Powell loses to OR, Farragut, DB, Ootlewah, and maybe SC. Knox West hangs with half of them??? That's really saying something there. :rolleyes:

If you want to talk about the toughest Region, try 2-5A. OR, Farragut, Ootlewah, and some other very competitive teams.

But, really, we can't say any of this. These teams don't play each other, and if you play the comparison game, but it's about as effective as flipping a coin.

Central can hang with Maryville, so what?? Central would lose to OR, DB, and possibly Ootlewah, just out of the teams you mentioned.

I wouldn't count on Central losing to those teams. As a matter of fact Central would play a minumum 500 ball against the 3 you have mentioned. Maryville would beat all three consistently. Didn't Ootlewah lose to William Blout last year? Maryville beat WB to death, and that was in the first half. You 5A supporters in E. Tennessee are dreaming. 4A in East Tennessee is at least as strong as 5A and arguably better.

Edited by MLREB

TG24

"If you want to talk about the toughest Region, try 2-5A. OR, Farragut, Ootlewah, and some other very competitive teams."

Here is how I see it.

Ooltewah loses to William Blount last year and Farragut twice, but beats Oak Ridge. Two years ago they go 3-7 and lose to some average 4A teams. They have gotten better though.

Farragut did lose to Knox Central a 4A second place team, and almost lost a close game to Powell the 3rd place team. I agree that Farragut has gotten much better, but top to bottom 3-4A is much better.

Oak Ridge has also finally gotten over the hump to the Championship game, and would put on a good game with Maryville. Just don't think they could play the complete game that Maryville plays

What other competitive team are you talking about in 2-5A?

Edited by LEONARDSLOSERS

Central can hang with Maryville, so what?? Central would lose to OR, DB, and possibly Ootlewah, just out of the teams you mentioned.

I wouldn't count on Central losing to those teams. As a matter of fact Central would play a minumum 500 ball against the 3 you have mentioned. Maryville would beat all three consistently. Didn't Ootlewah lose to William Blout last year? Maryville beat WB to death, and that was in the first half. You 5A supporters in E. Tennessee are dreaming. 4A in East Tennessee is at least as strong as 5A and arguably better.

If you play the comparsion game, as you are playing, you can always twist it in your favor. Here are the scores I'm going to be using. Central beat Farragut by 11. OR beat Farragut by 39. Maryville beat Central by 3. Ootlewah beat OR. So, by your logic, OR and Ootlewah would beat Central. And, also, OR and Ootlewah would beat Maryville. If you want to keep on this train of logic, William Blount would also beat Central. Using your same logic, 5A is MUCH stronger than 4A.

"LEONARDSLOSERS-

Here is how I see it.

Ooltewah loses to William Blount last year and Farragut twice, but beats Oak Ridge. Two years ago they go 3-7 and lose to some average 4A teams. They have gotten better though.

Farragut did lose to Knox Central a 4A second place team, and almost lost a close game to Powell the 3rd place team. I agree that Farragut has gotten much better, but top to bottom 3-4A is much better.

Oak Ridge has also finally gotten over the hump to the Championship game, and would put on a good game with Maryville. Just don't think they could play the complete game that Maryville plays

What other competitive team are you talking about in 2-5A?"

That just shows the parity of the teams in a very strong region.

In 3-4A, there are three or four good teams, just as in 2-5A (with the fourth being William Blount, they can beat some good teams, and take everyone to the wire when they're on their game.)

They are pretty equal, but, in no means is 4A better than 5A.

If you play the comparsion game, as you are playing, you can always twist it in your favor. Here are the scores I'm going to be using. Central beat Farragut by 11. OR beat Farragut by 39. Maryville beat Central by 3. Ootlewah beat OR. So, by your logic, OR and Ootlewah would beat Central. And, also, OR and Ootlewah would beat Maryville. If you want to keep on this train of logic, William Blount would also beat Central. Using your same logic, 5A is MUCH stronger than 4A.

Here is some logic..........I witnessed all of them last year in regular season and playoff games. I stand by my statement that Central would play a minimum 500 and Maryville would sweep them consistently. For Ootlewah to lose to WB is not a sign of a good solid team.

Good stuff. Back then. like now DB was a very large school. I would like to see who these teams played. JR College? Who? Noy doubting you sir, I'm just wondering. Still the play-offs are the only way to crown a champion.

FBEmeritus, It may have been a freshman college team, but I do know that on more than one ocasion, DB did play above the high school level. Also, DB was not any larger than any other school so I don't know where you got that, maybe the fact that in those days they pumped out championships in so many sports. If Biglon will ever see this post, he can give you a much more detailed history and name those colleges. I do know that sometimes DB would play bowl games after the season against some of the best schools from around the South.

Edited by bud

Here is some logic..........I witnessed all of them last year in regular season and playoff games. I stand by my statement that Central would play a minimum 500 and Maryville would sweep them consistently. For Ootlewah to lose to WB is not a sign of a good solid team.

I also watched all of the above teams in the regular/post-season. Central would beat Farragut, as they did, pretty consistantly. Maryville would struggle with OR on a regular basis, and they would not beat DB more than half of the time. Every team has a bad game, and WB was Ootlewah's. But, losing to WB last year is not that big of thing.

I also watched all of the above teams in the regular/post-season. Central would beat Farragut, as they did, pretty consistantly. team has a bad game, and WB was Ootlewah's. But, losing to WB last year is not that big of thing.

Maryville would struggle with OR on a regular basis, and they would not beat DB more than half of the time. Every

I am not so sure about that. Not on a consistent basis anyway. I simply do not think there is such a huge difference in 4A and 5A that Maryville would have totally dominated 4A Statewide for so many years and would struggle against two 5A teams that while talented and loaded with tradition, have no titles between them in years. The results you are looking at and basing your opinion on is ONE year. It is hard to draw any reliable conclusions on that.

Maryville would struggle with OR on a regular basis, and they would not beat DB more than half of the time. Every

I am not so sure about that. Not on a consistent basis anyway. I simply do not think there is such a huge difference in 4A and 5A that Maryville would have totally dominated 4A Statewide for so many years and would struggle against two 5A teams that while talented and loaded with tradition, have no titles between them in years. The results you are looking at and basing your opinion on is ONE year. It is hard to draw any reliable conclusions on that.

Maybe the reason Oak Ridge and Dobyns-Bennett do not have more recent titles is because it is harder to win in their classification.