Chris Donald

BIGBLU

I think UT is a very good academic school. It all depends on what you are wanting to do. I believe I read somewhere that UT's incoming freshmen had the highest GPA ever at the university, a 3.5 average. They also had to turn 100's down this year. That is a pretty good sign of how good the academics are at UT. No they are not Vanderbilt and no they are not Duke, however they are very good academically. Here is a little link to show some academic achievements, rankings and awards.

http://www.utk.edu/academics/

Here ya go I found this....

UT Continues Top Freshmen Enrollment Trend

KNOXVILLE –- The University of Tennessee this fall continues its trend of enrolling better and brighter freshmen, the dean of enrollment services said Wednesday.

Dean Richard Bayer said the incoming freshman class average ACT score is 24.3, a record high for the second straight year.

Three incoming UT freshmen also achieved the highest possible score on the ACT, Bayer said. Only 12 students in the state scored the maximum on the test, he said.

The average ACT score for incoming African-American students from Tennessee is 22.1, a record high at UT and well above the state average of 17.3, Bayer said.

Also, this year there were 717 incoming freshmen with a high school GPA of 4.0, Bayer said.

"Since 2001, we have seen steady, yearly improvement in the quality of incoming freshman as measured by test scores and high school GPA," Bayer said. "This higher level of academic achievement benefits the student, the university and the state."

First-time freshman enrollment is 3,575, Bayer said, and total undergraduate and graduate enrollment is 24,798.

Freshman enrollment in the UT Honors Program was 172 this fall and has increased at least 10 percent annually for the past four years, Dr. Mark Luprecht, honors director, said.

Selection for the competitive scholarships is based on academic performance and on academic and professional promise, Luprecht said. Most recipients must have had at least a 3.5 high school GPA and 27 ACT or 1210 SAT scores, he said.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Relative ACT's and SAT's are good measures of student quality. GPA's on the other hand aren't. With rampant grade inflation, you literally have valedictorians from small rural and inner city schools taking remedial classes as freshman. Those incoming stats you cited are good compared to University of Mississippi, begind UGA and not in the same galaxy as UVA, UNC and ND. Avg incoming stats for UVA are ACT 28, SAT 1319 and GPA 4.04, for UGA are ACT 27, SAT 1240, and GPA 3.74, ND's are ACT 31 and SAT 1369, UNC's are SAT 1299, ACT 28 and GPA 4.33. These are just averages entrance stats, not scholarship recipients.

95%+ graduation rates, no players appearing in lineups, players that can spell tradition without being spotted the first eight letters - it is a great tradition.

:lol: Oh yeah,we would not want to be like Vandy or Duke those disgraceful institutions.Man you really just summed it all up. Why would anyone care about what goes on off the field.What a pearl of wisdom. Sorry this was a reply meant for backinthaoc's comment.

Edited by seabass

Relative ACT's and SAT's are good measures of student quality. GPA's on the other hand aren't. With rampant grade inflation, you literally have valedictorians from small rural and inner city schools taking remedial classes as freshman. Those incoming stats you cited are good compared to University of Mississippi, begind UGA and not in the same galaxy as UVA, UNC and ND. Avg incoming stats for UVA are ACT 28, SAT 1319 and GPA 4.04, for UGA are ACT 27, SAT 1240, and GPA 3.74, ND's are ACT 31 and SAT 1369, UNC's are SAT 1299, ACT 28 and GPA 4.33. These are just averages entrance stats, not scholarship recipients.

I totally agree that UT isn't at the same level as ND, Duke or UNC. As a matter of fact I sated that in my first reply. However I did say that UT is improving academically and is becoming one of the best academic schools in the nation. Tennessee is a good school and so is ND. He will receive a good education at either place, no matter where he chooses to go. That is what is important. However Donald has said himself that a good education is important and so is playing football, saying all that while he also says that he has always been a Vol fan and had a hard time not committing to UT on his unofficial visit to the orange and white game in April. He will be a vol at the end of July when he is set to announce.

Edited by GoVols21

:lol: Oh yeah,we would not want to be like Vandy or Duke those disgraceful institutions.Man you really just summed it all up. Why would anyone care about what goes on off the field.What a pearl of wisdom. Sorry this was a reply meant for backinthaoc's comment.

Bro...those boys go to Tennessee to win football games and fill up that stadium..Don't ever think otherwise...You can sugar coat and say what you want about academics..Thats what all those other students are going to school for....These guys are going with dreams of playing in the NFL and making millions of $$$$..Don't be so naive to think otherwise.....And NO!!!Tennessee does NOT want to be regarded in the same light as those NOTHING football programs....And this reply WAS meant for the bass... :lol:

;) What a holier than thou bunch of garbage.....

I get this one alot but it is so fun watching these two kids.Donald reminds me alot of Chris Walker,if Donald were going to play on the offensive side in college I would say hands down Donald.Donald is a guy with good speed strong as a bull and an understanding of the game a sure fire college LB.Hogsett however is 6-3 230 maybe bigger by now and growing,I believe his bench is near 400,he is the hardest hitter I have seen @ this level in 10 years.However being a big hitter is nice but there are lots of those,wherever the ball is you will find Hogsett.I still contend that he is the best player in west tenn he may just be a little more green,but I have seen them both and you can't go wrong either way.I think however in college hogsett may switch to DE while donald is a lock at linebacker. Sea Bass

And oh by the way...If Chris Donald's true intention,and I'm talking Chris's, not mama and daddy's,is to get an education 1st,then play football,he will go to an "academic" institution,such as Duke or Stanford...If Tennessee fits that label,then all the luck to him and Tennessee fans will welcome him with open arms,because this kid is a man among boys in high school and can play the game and would be a great addition to the Vols..... :lol:

I totally agree that UT isn't at the same level as ND, Duke or UNC. As a matter of fact I sated that in my first reply. However I did say that UT is improving academically and is becoming one of the best academic schools in the nation. Tennessee is a good school and so is ND. He will receive a good education at either place, no matter where he chooses to go. That is what is important. However Donald has said himself that a good education is important and so is playing football, saying all that while he also says that he has always been a Vol fan and had a hard time not committing to UT on his unofficial visit to the orange and white game in April. He will be a vol at the end of July when he is set to announce.

a desire to stress academics to student athletes is being holier than thou?I sure hope you have nothing to do with the kids @ Obion,because brother you went way past pitiful.I have nothing but respect for UT as a school and the athletic department when it is being run right,but is people like with you this win at all cost and heck if you wanna skip class,sell drugs,beat people and on and on and on and on and on and on thats cool just be sure you win on saturday attitude that allows it to keep on happening.Truth is care you don't give a darn about those kids if in 5 years they are out of school broke and homeless cause they serve you no purpose due to having no more eligibility.Me I am thankful that these kids chose to attend my school for the next four years and yes I want to win just as bad as you,but you my man are everything that is wrong with college sorts so go to Kenton and eat an albino squirrel.

And oh by the way...If Chris Donald's true intention,and I'm talking Chris's, not mama and daddy's,is to get an education 1st,then play football,he will go to an "academic" institution,such as Duke or Stanford...If Tennessee fits that label,then all the luck to him and Tennessee fans will welcome him with open arms,because this kid is a man among boys in high school and can play the game and would be a great addition to the Vols..... :lol:

I guess it will be 2-3 weeks before this debate is over.

http://notredame.Unapproved Website/content.asp?CID=558534

Dont be fooled!

I love to read how everyone "knows" where Chris is going to school. The decision isnt based on football right now guys....... Chris is looking at an education. Not the football aspect as much as everyone would like to think. Chris IS a different kind of kid. Many of you talk like you know Chris personally and have no clue what his goals are in the future. " Mommy and Daddy" play a big part in making that foundation for Chris and others as well. But the Final decision is totally up to him.

Chris has great support in Huntingdon and all of West Tennessee but some are only looking at the lines between those goal posts on Saturday. Chris is far beyond that aspect of maturity. He Doesnt think or act like your typical teenager He's looking past the strapping on of a helmet and putting in a mouth piece. He's really handling this as one step towards one of his future goals.... A COLLEGE DEGREE, and life after that. If football is in the picture thats all fine and dandy. If not... so be it. But I promise you HE WILL BE PREPARED FOR LIFE after college regardless of what college that may be.

So for those of you that think you know Chris and Know his school of choice...... Dont be fooled thinking this is all about football.

When you cry with him, laugh with him, mourn with him, and is always there when he needs you.............. You know him!

Or do you really need him for 7 tackles 2 sack and a fumble recovery a game to really know him?

GO STANGS!!!