2006 MLB Draft

GradfromtheNest

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why Nick Hill of the United States Military Academy is even on that list. Once a Cadet begins his third year at West Point he is obligated to serve at least 5 years of active duty in the United States Army after graduation. That's not negotiable.

That is not entirely true. I went to the Air Force Academy, and we had a pitcher/quarterback that was drafted after his senior year. The US military has a program that trains the elite athletes. It actually counts towards his time in the military! It is not an option for everyone, but once a cadet graduates, it is possible to play professional sports.

That is not entirely true. I went to the Air Force Academy, and we had a pitcher/quarterback that was drafted after his senior year. The US military has a program that trains the elite athletes. It actually counts towards his time in the military! It is not an option for everyone, but once a cadet graduates, it is possible to play professional sports.

It's not an option at West Point right now. My son is currently a Cadet. Our country is at war and West Point is in the business of training Cadets to become Army officers. If that were an option, Army running back Carlton Jones would have been taken in the NFL draft.

Edited by HTV

Price has no choice...he's not eligible for the draft for another year...next year he'll go number one overall.

That's big words saying he'll go # 1 overall! I don't know anything about the kid but still, to be the first player taken in the draft? From what school? What size is the kid? Position? Please tell me what the kid can do. I want to hear about him.

Price has no choice...he's not eligible for the draft for another year...next year he'll go number one overall.

That's big words saying he'll go # 1 overall! I don't know anything about the kid but still, to be the first player taken in the draft? From what school? What size is the kid? Position? Please tell me what the kid can do. I want to hear about him.

David Price goes to Vanderbilt University. He's a 6'6 lefty that throws 95 with an ungodly slider!! :angry:

HTV,

Can't someone still be drafted from one of the academies? Now granted they must serve their time, but that does not stop a team from drafting them does it?

No, it doesn't stop them from drafting them, but it's futile to do so. A Cadet or Midshipman has a 5 year active duty obligation after graduating to the Army/Air Force/Navy. In baseball and football the draft rights for a drafted player only last one year and then the unsigned player is eligible for the draft once again, so drafting a prospect who is currently at a service academy is essentially a wasted pick.