Best MHS Team In A While?

GovMan

Just an opinion; best Defense in many a year was last years. best Offense was the 2002 squad. best overall team from offense to defense and the kicking game was 1998. didn't get to see many of those games- but just an opinion.

Agree 3.....this years offense may match or exceed 2002. Defense will have to replace possibly the best D-line with only one/Dwight Woods, returning. Linbackers are outstanding and DB's are outstanding. Singleton has put on some muscle and is over 200 pounds. Expect Shuler and McCoy to play with Tank being the anchor.

Funny how it's assumed that Burnett or Burnett and Hunt will be the QB's. Based on last years finish and preseason it may just be Hunt. My guess is GQ will use both of his quality QB's much like last year. Wr's at Maryville will most likely be the best ever with Maples, Clendenon, Douglas, Shiver, Reiser, Clement, and Jordan. I know I missed a couple but this group of WR's are outstanding and will be formidable.

Opposing defenses will have to find a way to keep the Maryville O off the field if they want to hang with them. They should be explosive.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best quarterback 2004 Cade Thompson

Best backfield 2001. Carl Stewart,TJ Brock and Chris McCord

Best offensive line. 1998. That offensive line is the best I ever seen in high school football.

Best receivers. This years team will have them. Tyler Maples is the best receiver ever at Maryville. The other receivers are good also.

Best defensive line. 2005 This was the best defensive line depthwise ever at Maryville.

Best linebackers. 1976. Danny Spradlin was the best player in Maryville history. Tim Arnold was a stud also.

Best secondary. 2003. Even though this wasn't a state title team the secondary that year was the best ever at Maryville.

Special teams. 1998. That team had 2 placekickers and punters.

i dont know ron, what about the recieving corp when merritt (sp?) was a sr. they were a talented group. but in all serious, i dont think powell or anyone else will pose a threat to maryville this year. looks to be another good season coming up (even tho it'd be nice if you'd share with mo'west a lil bit, lol) but in all seriousness, good luck to the rebs this year.

i dont know ron, what about the recieving corp when merritt (sp?) was a sr. they were a talented group. but in all serious, i dont think powell or anyone else will pose a threat to maryville this year. looks to be another good season coming up (even tho it'd be nice if you'd share with mo'west a lil bit, lol) but in all seriousness, good luck to the rebs this year.

50.....the group with Merrit was special but were more of a possession group. They had height with Gaskin and Holt and the speed and great hands of Merrit but nothing like this upcoming group. Besides Maples Clendenon is very close to Maples in speed, agility, and pass catching ability. He was ineligible last year. Douglas is 6'7" and 250 coming from the TE position. His speed is good but his hands are excellent. Rumor's are he has already committed to UT though he will only be a junior. Shiver is 6.3" and 210 with excellent hands and athletic ability. THis in not even taking into account 3 or 4 more quality receivers. Not only are they talented but they have depth.

BTW......have you decdied to extend your career in collge? If so where?

I agree best D line ever stats wise was last year. The good thing is this years secondary and LB's will be there to allow the front 4+ to develope. I think the Douglas kid will be a blue chip, highest rated player to come out of the Maryville and area in years. Higher than Stewart, Thompson, Hilsher and of course Warren from Alcoa. Yea, I know, big bold statement, but I think the kid is the real deal with the right size, speed and gentics to be big time and under GQ will only make him better. Belive it or not GQ is better at what he does as well.

I think Maryville is very solid in many places and that is a good problem to have. The O will have so many playmakers it's going to be hard for GQ to pick a number!

10-0 and it's Maryville's Crown to lose. Go Reb's

50.....the group with Merrit was special but were more of a possession group. They had height with Gaskin and Holt and the speed and great hands of Merrit but nothing like this upcoming group. Besides Maples Clendenon is very close to Maples in speed, agility, and pass catching ability. He was ineligible last year. Douglas is 6'7" and 250 coming from the TE position. His speed is good but his hands are excellent. Rumor's are he has already committed to UT though he will only be a junior. Shiver is 6.3" and 210 with excellent hands and athletic ability. THis in not even taking into account 3 or 4 more quality receivers. Not only are they talented but they have depth.

BTW......have you decdied to extend your career in collge? If so where?

actually i signed gardner-webb (d1aa) cause the big schools dropped me for grades, but thats my fault. and i missed being eligible for GW by a couple points on the ACT, so now i'm going to carson newman, still full ride. should have fun.

actually i signed gardner-webb (d1aa) cause the big schools dropped me for grades, but thats my fault. and i missed being eligible for GW by a couple points on the ACT, so now i'm going to carson newman, still full ride. should have fun.

Good luck....don't let that Rouse kid get hurt.... :rolleyes:

Carson Newman just got a great person and player. Good luck Dylan. It will be a lot easier for me to catch one of your games now!

Good luck....don't let that Rouse kid get hurt.... :rolleyes:

Speaking of Rouse...I hung out with him yesterday at the river...he said his shoulder is doing better but it gives him some pain here and there...actually he left this morning to go back to CN and start summer school and workouts for football...yeah OT50 don't let him get hurt again...he has been through some serious injuries...and by judging from the semi-finals of last year you will do just fine...good luck.