Proposed TSSAA Changes

CoachT

# Elimination of supervised practices between a high school coach and players during the period from July 15 until Oct. 15.

# No preseason scrimmages from the time practice begins on Oct. 15 until Nov. 1.

# Limit preseason scrimmages to four.

# The elimination of fall team leagues with the inception of the "Fifty Percent" rule. That rule states that any team involving players from the same school may not have more than half the number required to play the game from the school in question. In basketball's case, for instance, the maximum number is three. If four participate, one of those players will be ineligible during the school year.

# Reduction of regular-season schedule from 26 to 24 games.

1. I don't see a problem with a 3 month dead period per se. In basketball, I'd see a couple or 3 schools combining to play AAU ball. Baseball is practically over by July 15th. Some showcases or travel teams that are 50/50 would result.

2. So? Define a pre-season scrimmage?

3. 3 schools, 9 players. Even rural areas have adjacent schools in the same boat. Enforcement is the problem. These 3 teams with a third from each school could play each other and maybe 3 other teams from 3 schools every weekend in a tournament. The high school teams just wouldn't be together, but there would be the same amount of games. This is where it gets stupid. The kids are going to find a game. It's going to be my guards with your posts and a couple of swing men from their team. Play each other all the time and evaluate what you've got. No different than AAU, just watered down like 12U travel ball. The best recruiter wins. The others try to get in a different level of competition to say they played summer ball.

4. None issue.

Who cares im sure the good teams from the east play together all summer. I know Grace (state runner-up 03-04 and 05-06) plays together over the summer. And about rural areas whats the big deal traveling to MTSU camp, or UT camp, or UTC camp?

If you make rules, people are only going to bend them. Elimination of supervised practice... think of all the loop holes around it. And im still trying to figure out how organized basketball over the summer gives the West a big advantage, Memphis gives West a big advantage, not summer basketball.

• 3 weeks later...

I have mixed emotions. My son played for his school and ran track. Track conflicted with AAU and he felt torn. He ran track and gave up AAU this summer. He has attended good camps and will be taking private lessons soon. He felt pressured to play AAU but did not give in. I would like to see AAU practices start at least around May. I know the tournaments start sooner, but it allows kids to participate in various sports or other school functions without missing out on summer league ball, or starting late.

Also, I don't like when a child is (in so many words) informed that they need to chose which sport or school function (band, forensics, etc.) is more important.

Let them be all they can be!!!!

Who cares if kids are playing basketball, football, wrestling, etc... ? If they are participating in sports they will be to busy to steal my car, break into my home or any of the other vices that will get them into trouble. While it's JMO, I feel that the high schools need to define what is in season and what is offseason. If I could wave a magic wand I would have the following season for high school sports:

Football & Fall Sports: practice starts the 2nd Monday in August with the first games on the Friday before Labor Day

Basketball & Winter Sports: Practice starts the 1st Monday in November with the first game being the 1st Monday in December (If most every school didn't qualify for the football playoffs you would have very few conflicts)

Spring Sports: Practice starts the 2nd Monday in Feb. & the first games will be the 2nd Monday in March (Spring Fling would start the 2nd Monday in June. This would allow for very few if any problems with graduation and exams during Spring Fling) I hate to hear of seniors having to choose between graduation and playing in a state championship game. Let's keep in mind that athletics are fun but we send our children to school to receive an education and graduation is a major part of that academic education process.

Edited by cbg

cbq,

You can't have spring fling the 2nd Monday of June. What would happen with all of the AAU basketball team practices, kids would be competing in the fling and their coaches would get mad.

Do the research on how many basketball players participate in Spring Fling. It wil probably be less than 10% which would be a minority the last time I checked.

Edited by cbg