Sunbright in 06

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) I know this is the Sunbright board and I'm not into stealing anyones thunder, but reading through this it appears the Tradition rich team from the North has pretty much been written off. I think its going to back fire on some people because they have the best defensive coordinator in East Tennessee. Sunbright was predicted to win it all in the 1983-84 season, too, and their fullback was a monster that year(I think he signed with TTU), but the Tribe turned back that year's 22 seniors. I don't think we can assess the teams in this district too soon or someone is libel to smoke the rest of them. Riddle me this, in the last 30 years, who reigns supreme in this district. (I'd guess the Indians have won over half those titles) This may be Sunbright's year, but Oneida will not go as softly as everyone has said they will. With Wamp's exit, will things on the offense suddenly improve. I'd say he is a fair coach in the right situation, but this was definitely NOT his finest moment. Hey Ro, how have the Orange Men looked at this point?

:) Kaz :lol:

you apparently havent been around region 2 football. To say that it is weak is just dumb cause it is one of the toughest regions in single a. There is no guaranteed win any night in the region. Yeah sure some teams are weaker than others but every game will be very close. And spring doesnt tell you anything really cause you are working off of just a couple of practices when you play the scrimmages so i guess you will just have to wait and see.

Just because all the games are close doesnt make it one of the toughest regions in football. Region 5's sixth place team White House-Heritage beat Sunbright last year, and Sunbright went to the playoffs. So that tells ya that Region 5 is better then Region 2. Then Region 5 lost 3 first round games, w/ only Jo Byrns winning, so that tells ya that Region 6 was overall better then 5, even tho Jo Byrns beat 3 the top 3 region 6 teams. So that means region 5 and 6 is better then 2, and i know region 4 is better, so i wouldnt consider urself one of the best regions in 1A.

:lol: I know this is the Sunbright board and I'm not into stealing anyones thunder, but reading through this it appears the Tradition rich team from the North has pretty much been written off. I think its going to back fire on some people because they have the best defensive coordinator in East Tennessee. Sunbright was predicted to win it all in the 1983-84 season, too, and their fullback was a monster that year(I think he signed with TTU), but the Tribe turned back that year's 22 seniors. I don't think we can assess the teams in this district too soon or someone is libel to smoke the rest of them. Riddle me this, in the last 30 years, who reigns supreme in this district. (I'd guess the Indians have won over half those titles) This may be Sunbright's year, but Oneida will not go as softly as everyone has said they will. With Wamp's exit, will things on the offense suddenly improve. I'd say he is a fair coach in the right situation, but this was definitely NOT his finest moment. Hey Ro, how have the Orange Men looked at this point?

:) Kaz :)

Kaz, I could be wrong, but I think the Sunbright team you're talking about was the 84-85 team that was loaded and so good. I know because I was a starter for Wartburg that year and they beat us at Sunbright. Yes, their fullback WAS a monster! He ran over me more than once!! We actually beat Oneida up there that year 14-6, but it was a very hard fought game! Tell me, what ever happened to Mike Smith? He was one of the best athletes I've ever faced- in football and basketball. The only six footer who I ever played against that could jump straight up and dunk with two hands!!! He was an incredible athlete!!!!

I think Region 2 was down last year as where it had been in recent years, but I think it will be better this year with a lot of teams returning a lot of players.

I know Sunbright, Harriman and Midway return a lot of talent from last year and should be better. Coalfield lost a couple of good linemen along with a big receiver and tight end, but I think that's about it so the region favorite is still Coalfield until someone beats them. I really don't know much about Greenback and Oneida, but it's hard to imagine one or both of them missing the playoffs two years in a row. I heard Oakdale's numbers were up, but I also heard thy were small.

SCW86, I am sure they had 21 or 22 Seniors on the team I'm referring to, but that fullback on that team was just a Junior, so prehaps he left you as roadkill a year after me! I think his name was Shuwin or Shuen? Anyway, he flattened me once so hard, that when I returned to the huddle I asked if anyone got the plate number on that semi. And I wasn't kidding! :lol: Sunbright was favored to beat us that year and the final score was like 21 to 12, but it was a lot closer than the score indicated. Somehow, we managed to win it. We didn't play Wartburg that season, or if we did it would have been a victory by us because we only lost to Gatlinburg-Pittman twice that season (11-2). I still run into Mike from time to time, and it doesn't look much like the years have been unkind to him. "Jump out of the gym" was an expression we heard a lot during Mike's time at OHS. Tackling him couldn't have been fun since his thighs looked like tree trunks, I wouldn't know because he was a soph. when I graduated and our running back was the very strong and reliable Dale "Move the Chains" Martin. Mike did start with us on defense that year.

Peace out!

:unsure: Kaz :lol:

Edited by kazam37

SCW86, I am sure they had 21 or 22 Seniors on the team I'm referring to, but that fullback on that team was just a Junior, so prehaps he left you as roadkill a year after me! I think his name was Shuwin or Shuen? Anyway, he flattened me once so hard, that when I returned to the huddle I asked if anyone got the plate number on that semi. And I wasn't kidding! ;) Sunbright was favored to beat us that year and the final score was like 21 to 12, but it was a lot closer than the score indicated. Somehow, we managed to win it. We didn't play Wartburg that season, or if we did it would have been a victory by us because we only lost to Gatlinburg-Pittman twice that season (11-2). I still run into Mike from time to time, and it doesn't look much like the years have been unkind to him. "Jump out of the gym" was an expression we heard a lot during Mike's time at OHS. Tackling him couldn't have been fun since his thighs looked like tree trunks, I wouldn't know because he was a soph. when I graduated and our running back was the very strong and reliable Dale "Move the Chains" Martin. Mike did start with us on defense that year.

Peace out!

:thumb: Kaz ;)

Well, you might just be right about the tear. That would have been Max Spurling's senior year I referred to when I was a junior. Spurling was an incredibly big fullback for those days and from what I heard back then, he was a freak in the weight room. I don't think he played college ball - why I don't know. Oh, by the way we DID play Oneida that year(83-84). You all beat us 34-0. Then again, most everyone beat us that year. Tackling Mike Smith? My senior year we didn't play Oneida, so we scrimmaged them. Me and Smith had a collision that cracked my face mask and blacked my eye!! I'm reminded of that every time I look at my senior school picture and see remnants of that shinner. If he's still half the athlete he was back then, that's still saying something!!