Need Suggestions

Lost Old Dad

As most of the readers here knows I have had 'problems' with a certain school and getting information to the NCAA Clearing House.

Now that he is FINALLY registered I find out that the certain school reported my son's GPA at 2.03 instead of the 2.58 it really is. I would not care so much but the 2.03 only makes him eligible for Div 2 schools instead of the Div 1 he is actually eligible for. He has a solid 18 on his ACT and I know that isn't that high, but it should get him in some good schools.

Now my main question, if it was YOUR son what would you do?

I figure the 2006-07 season is already shot, but I really would like him to have a fair chance at getting in a school where he can play if he wants to.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

As most of the readers here knows I have had 'problems' with a certain school and getting information to the NCAA Clearing House.

Now that he is FINALLY registered I find out that the certain school reported my son's GPA at 2.03 instead of the 2.58 it really is. I would not care so much but the 2.03 only makes him eligible for Div 2 schools instead of the Div 1 he is actually eligible for. He has a solid 18 on his ACT and I know that isn't that high, but it should get him in some good schools.

I figure the 2006-07 season is already shot, but I really would like him to have a fair chance at getting in a school where he can play if he wants to.

Yea i think you do have to have a 19 on the act to be eligible the first year by the ncaa.But i know the school your talking about and i had the same problem with my guidence councelor there. I told him at least 3 times to send everything off and ended up having to make him give me the papers and send it myself.

I would probably go to the school and have them show me the GPA because some classes dont count torwards the gpa such as football. It is the CORE gpa that the schools are looking for so i would go to them and ask them to show me his GPA and then go from there

I think guidance counslers are becoming a waiste of monsey in our schools now it SEEMS like they dont do much

but tha tis my opinion

I would probably go to the school and have them show me the GPA because some classes dont count torwards the gpa such as football. It is the CORE gpa that the schools are looking for so i would go to them and ask them to show me his GPA and then go from there

I think guidance counslers are becoming a waiste of monsey in our schools now it SEEMS like they dont do much

but tha tis my opinion

hmmmmm. a 19 wont cut it . to pass clearing house with a 2.03 you have to have a 22. trust me im a player in the SAME situation. and my GPA lowered b/c only a few classes count lol why cant they count football lol thats what im going to college for.

hmmmmm. a 19 wont cut it . to pass clearing house with a 2.03 you have to have a 22. trust me im a player in the SAME situation. and my GPA lowered b/c only a few classes count lol why cant they count football lol thats what im going to college for.

If you are going to college for football you may want to give some thought as to why they often call colleges & universities ACADEMIC institutions.

I handle this info at Creek Wood and I am still learning the processof the NCAA. Spent several hours on the phone and on the clearinghouse website. Each school should have a list of classes that are clearinghouse acceptable. From this list the NCAA will take the GPA from 14 in 07 and 16 for 08 and beyond NCAA core classes. Use that GPA with ACT results on the NCAA sliding scale and you find your eligibility. Some students could have a higher or lower GPA in the NCAA eyes compared to what your school has her/his overall GPA. PEACE-OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would suggest considering an NAIA school. To be eligible...you have to have a 2.0 over all...18 on the ACT...and or graduate in the top 50% of your class. You only have to have 2 of the 3. Your son would qualify as a freshman. There are some very good NAIA schools in this area. Most give quite a bit of money for a good player.

If you are going to college for football you may want to give some thought as to why they often call colleges & universities ACADEMIC institutions.

While you are correct, and I wish it werent this way, that is not the system that we live in, and this man's son should have a shot to play college ball just like every other young man that shouldnt be elligible to play

Edited by volfromchat

It actually ain't R'dales fault THIS time. While Rutherford County counts ROTC for a substitute for Government, the NCAA does not. NCAA threw out all of the clones ROTC 'As'.

Riverdale, I APOLOGIZE!!!!!!! :blink:

As for the NCAA Clearing House, that is a different matter. I do NOT agree with them but they have me by the short hairs on this one.

For the posters here you have my Sincere "Thank You" for your suggestions.

I guess I gotta get a list of NAIA schools now. Any suggestions where to look?

It actually ain't R'dales fault THIS time. While Rutherford County counts ROTC for a substitute for Government, the NCAA does not. NCAA threw out all of the clones ROTC 'As'.

As for the NCAA Clearing House, that is a different matter. I do NOT agree with them but they have me by the short hairs on this one.

http://naia.cstv.com/member-services/about/members.htm

All do not have football teams.

The ones in Tennessee that do are

Bethel College, McKenzie, Tenn.

Cumberland University, Lebanon, Tenn.

Lambuth University, Jackson, Tenn.

The Mid South Conference consists of those 3 along with Georgetown Ky,

Campbellsville Ky, Kentucky Wesleyan (Ownesboro Ky)...Belhaven (Miss), Cumberlands (Williamsburg Ky), Union College Ky, Pikeville College Ky, Universtiy of Virginia at Wise (Va), Shorter College (Rome Ga.)

All are relatively close...and all are very good private schools.

Edited by Antwan

After the dead period, I am confident Coach Aydelott will help you.

I believe he is well-versed in this area.