Db vs South

readnoevil

I'll be there!! Art what time do you think a person will have to get in line to be able to get a seat a J. Fred? A lot of excitement in both communities this year! I'm expecting that you wont be able to stir 'em with a stick. This is the way this rivalry is supposed to be. Here's to hoping the Rebels finally get over that hump and to an injury free game!

If I was a South Fan without reserve seating, I bet you should get by by 6:00 - no later than 6:30. If you get there early there is so much pre-game action on the field.. With the Band, both Teams, it's good stuff no matter who you pull for.

The win streak is at 12.. Graham Clark is 12-1 vs the Rebels. 1984 was the last time the Rebels came away from J. Fred Johnson Stadium with the victory (10-7), that's 10 games running for the Indians against the Rebels in Kingsport.

As a Football Fan, I really enjoy watching the Rebels Offense. It is simple and yet it allows the QB (Phillips) so many options, in basically 1 or 2 formations. And the opposing Defense is basically guessing what is coming at them. Good Coaching by this Rebels Staff. As an Indian Fan, I am very excited to see whether the Indians Defense can stop it.

Should be a great game.

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read Curt Phillips had 5 TD's (2 running 3 passing) against Happy Valley (yeah, i know it's Happy Valley but still...) and was pulled with like 8 mins to go in the second quarter. wow. I haven't seen this guy play at all but I really would like to sometime this season, if I wasn't going to the Eliz/SHHS game I'd def. be at this one! I'll give my pred. later in the week..

This is going to be an amazing game.Not to be cliche,but special teams and turnovers will be huge.That was the story last year,and it will be this year too.It will probably be low scoring,and each team's defenses are great,but are South's running backs good enough for Db's defense not to focus on Phillips? Last year,DB had to respect Sandige and Mcmillan,this year are they gonna be able to focus more on Curt,either way,I'd call it a toss up,but since its at J. Fred I'm going to go with DB.

DB-17

South-10

I think last night showed the Indian Defense is "not as advertised". The defensive backs played like freshmen and even though the line did get some pressure on Smith he was able to scramble away to often. I wasn't that impressed with Smith, if you have receivers running down the field wide open every play it tends to make your QB look pretty good. Aside from a few big hits from the linebackers, they were pretty much average. Watson has been known to preform miarcles from week to week, this may be time for one.

I hated to see Sylvester only get 5 carries in the game. He is a game breaker and should be getting at least 15 carries per game. Looks like another season of no established running back.

DB might have to put up about 45 to beat South.

Other than that.....heck the Indians still won the game 35-7. Go figure.

hessforprez...

1st off a comment from a central student about DB is never honest.

2nd off Curt can play, but he was there last year and they didnt win.

But to answer the real question, it will be a very close game and it will definitely come down to the last seconds. At this point I couldn't tell you who will win but it well be a true Slobber-Knocker

I think last night showed the Indian Defense is "not as advertised". The defensive backs played like freshmen and even though the line did get some pressure on Smith he was able to scramble away to often. I wasn't that impressed with Smith, if you have receivers running down the field wide open every play it tends to make your QB look pretty good. Aside from a few big hits from the linebackers, they were pretty much average. Watson has been known to preform miarcles from week to week, this may be time for one.

Ouch, (as a parent of a D-B defensive player I can say that) but WaCo, everything you said is true! Believe me when I say that the first string defensive players know it too. I am betting we see a new and improved defensive unit on the field next week.

"Indian defense is not as advertised" - sorry guys, don't know what advertising you've seen, but the only publicity for the Indian defense has been for the linebacking corps and those guys played very well last night. The defensive line faced a massive front without their starting nose guard and by the second half they dominated virtually every play by blowing guys off the ball that outweighed them by 80 - 100 pounds. Zack Kramer and Daniel Preston stepped up big time. They have to pressure the quarterback more, but anyone who watched that game knows they were facing a pretty special QB in Smith. Two big hits by linebackers resulted in turnovers and Ben Davis' return of a fumble almost matched total rushing for the Cyclones who had only 59 yards - pretty good night for the D-line and the backers. I'd like to see a few more blitzes to pressure the passer, but hey, maybe next week...

Now what about that much maligned secondary? They have got to improve coverage, no doubt and we're all looking for the Hammer who will step up and hit like Jessee Alley did last year. But the big touchdown by Betsy that was called back in the first half was by a receiver that was covered by a lineman, ie, ineligible. You don't have to cover ineligible receivers, so is anyone surprised he was wide open. Another long pass play resulted when an Indian DB batted the ball down; unfortunately, into the hands of a Betsy player who was on his back (not to take anything away from what was a great catch) but that's not "freshman" coverage. Another long pass play should arguably have been a fumble recovery for DB if you believe the receiver had control. But this is the first game of the season for the refs and calls went both ways.

The defense will get better - the score was 35-7 against a very much improved Cyclone team - and I suspect this game will go a long way toward preparing for South than Happy Valley will go toward preparing for the Tribe. Phillips is good - but he hasn't been hit like D-B's gonna hit.

Offense - what can you say? In the opening game they looked like they had three or four games under their belt. That comes from scrimmaging competition like Maryville.

Waco and Direwolf, I think I figured out where you're coming from and I really don't disagree - "good to great" is a season long journey, but this team is good - make no mistake!

Roll Tribe!

DB will take this one again. South has a fine team and Phillips is a good talent but the Rebs don't have enough guns this year to overtake an improved Indian team.

Waco, If Smith didn't impress you, you might want to check the stats or better yet, ask your coach. :D And yes, it was the opener for both. :thumb: Hang in there....

Edited by GLee

DB will take this one again. South has a fine team and Phillips is a good talent but the Rebs don't have enough guns this year to overtake an improved Indian team.

Waco, If Smith didn't impress you, you might want to check the stats. :D And yes, it was the opener for both. :thumb: Hang in there....

D-b defininitly wins this one to much speed an sophmore rb justin slyvester had 2 touchdowns his first varsity game it will be interesting how south will try to stop him

ROLL TRIBE ROLL

Edited by indian60

SOUTH will be good but D-B is well.... better i no that the defense didnt look up to par but we r talkin about the indians we will be ready thursday night expect to see a really fired up db team thursday an a hole lot better defense

ROLL TRIBE ROLL :rolleyes:

Edited by indian60

As much as I like seeing anyone from around here beating the Indians, I still think they are probably the best coached team in upper east tn. The secondary problems that they seem to have had in game 1 will be worked out and they will probably win come friday against the Rebels. The cyclones QB is a good one but I think Phillips is even better. This game will be a shootout with the Indians coming out on top.

Prediction:

DB 38

South 28

Good luck to two fine football teams!!