8/18 Week 0 JP2 at Greenbrier

timbdp

Bobcat field is one of the best high school fields/atmospheres around. Both sets of bleachers are right on top of the field. Seriously, there is about 10 feet of sideline space on both sides. Puts you up close and personal to the action. And believe me, you can almost feel the BIG HITS from the stands. The Greenbrier locals will back their trucks up to the field on the visitor side and pull out their lawn chairs. The fence will be packed with people standing from end zone to end zone. The playing surface is immaculate. It rivals most collegs playing surfaces. The coaching staff must spend an unbelievable amount of time and money on the playing surface. You can't help but appreciate it when you see it. I've been to a few games there and can't wait for friday night. Also, I heard that Greembrier may dress as many as 85-90 players this year. With the limited space on the sideline, these players will line up single file on the sideline. From the visitor bleachers, it looks like soldiers lining up to do battle. Very intimidating. Get there early to 1) get a seat, and 2) enjoy the atmosphere. If you are looking for a good place to go on Week 0 come out to Greenbrier.

Now for predictions: It will be a close game. Tate will score on a big play sometime during the game. The difference will be the fourth quarter. In a hot, early season game, conditioning will be a factor. I think GB wll be within striking distance late in the game. The game will be decided with GB making one of their patented long drives and either JPII defense will hold deep or GB will finish the drive to win the game late.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greenbrier's Bobcat Field has been around for literally ages. Thankfully the bleachers are no longer wood, but until you get there you can't appreciate the way that little community turns out for thei Bobcat football team. The town has been growing, but hometowners, and oldtimers find their way back for football. I've seen the field lined four or five deep and people standing at the end zones looking through the fences. It's small-town football at it's very best. I recall a line said in the game last year by one of the announcers for Comcast. It was something like "Friday night football in Greenbrier and everybody's here".

You'd better believe it.

Good luck Cats. We're waiting our turn. :thumb:

Greenbrier's Bobcat Field has been around for literally ages. Thankfully the bleachers are no longer wood, but until you get there you can't appreciate the way that little community turns out for thei Bobcat football team. The town has been growing, but hometowners, and oldtimers find their way back for football. I've seen the field lined four or five deep and people standing at the end zones looking through the fences. It's small-town football at it's very best. I recall a line said in the game last year by one of the announcers for Comcast. It was something like "Friday night football in Greenbrier and everybody's here".

You'd better believe it.

Good luck Cats. We're waiting our turn. :lol:

Those old wooden bleachers had character..... and splinters.

Coach Williams and his crew take a lot of pride in the condition of the field and I don't think there's any way to gauge the number of hours that they spend on it. Not to mention the time spent throughout the week painting the school crest and the lines. They have it down to a science.

While the field does have the small-town feel, there are already plans in the works to move the home section back to the visitor's side and build a large, concrete set of bleachers with lockers rooms, concessions, etc. under the seats. There's even a possibility of being able to purchase the seats as a PSL.

With the weather that's expected..... it'll be a perfect Friday night for high school football. Maybe we'll even be lucky enough to have a little smoke from one of the local tobacco barns drift across the field. That'll REALLY make it seem like football season............ :thumb:

(And FYI for visitors: The gold section of bleachers in the center of the home side is reserved seating.)

Those old wooden bleachers had character..... and splinters.

Coach Williams and his crew take a lot of pride in the condition of the field and I don't think there's any way to gauge the number of hours that they spend on it. Not to mention the time spent throughout the week painting the school crest and the lines. They have it down to a science.

While the field does have the small-town feel, there are already plans in the works to move the home section back to the visitor's side and build a large, concrete set of bleachers with lockers rooms, concessions, etc. under the seats. There's even a possibility of being able to purchase the seats as a PSL.

With the weather that's expected..... it'll be a perfect Friday night for high school football. Maybe we'll even be lucky enough to have a little smoke from one of the local tobacco barns drift across the field. That'll REALLY make it seem like football season............ :thumb:

(And FYI for visitors: The gold section of bleachers in the center of the home side is reserved seating.)

Thanks for that info, NoDoubt. It appears some improvements are in the works at the field. Now that the small building at the end of the field has been replaced with a bigger, nicer one, things are on the upswing. Moving the sides would seem different, but would make more sense since the reserved parking is on that side, or would they move the reserved parking down behind the girls field? It would be great for the players to have a nice big locker room, and for the fans to have bigger stands. It would especially nice on those late May graduation afternoons when the sun is blinding in the face of the homeside.

Other suggestions I would have would be new pavement around the middle school parking areas, and an actual ticket booth. But I know those things will take time. Do you think this field will ever become a practice field, and the games will be moved to the new park? Just wonderin'..

Thanks for that info, NoDoubt. It appears some improvements are in the works at the field. Now that the small building at the end of the field has been replaced with a bigger, nicer one, things are on the upswing. Moving the sides would seem different, but would make more sense since the reserved parking is on that side, or would they move the reserved parking down behind the girls field? It would be great for the players to have a nice big locker room, and for the fans to have bigger stands. It would especially nice on those late May graduation afternoons when the sun is blinding in the face of the homeside.

Other suggestions I would have would be new pavement around the middle school parking areas, and an actual ticket booth. But I know those things will take time. Do you think this field will ever become a practice field, and the games will be moved to the new park? Just wonderin'..

Boy, you're right about the new pavement needed around the middle school. It's disgraceful! The county should be ashamed.

Although change is inevitable, personally, I hope we never leave this field. It's too storied and convenient. My children have played there for over 10 years and we love the location, the support shown and just the small-town atmosphere. It's a happenin' place on football Fridays and, to my family, it is the big-time!

I'm not in to predictin', but, for some reason, I feel like PJP may be ripe for an upset: 1st game of the season on our field (you wanna see excitement, come on out); unknown talent level for GB (remember last year's overachievers?); our coaching staff (not saying Coach Brothers and his staff won't be prepared); and the coup de grâce - the 12th man, OUR FANS! Sometimes Bobcats are rabid.

Good luck to both teams.

Go Cats! :thumb:

Edited by 5-Sport Dad

My personal opinion is the paving issue needs to be top priority. There are holes big enough to lose a small child in. I would bulldoze the old little league baseball fields, after they are moved to the new park, and make that additional parking for the high school and football games. Another idea would be to make a “real” practice field for the middle school football team.

I don’t know where the money will come from to finance these improvements……maybe we should ask Coopertown….they just built a beautiful facility, new football field and new weight room complete with weights. Maybe they were funded with traffic tickets.

As far as moving the current high school field to the park….I don’t see it happening anytime in the near or distant future….especially if they are planning on all of these new improvements….and PSL’s.

The parking lot next to the field is in bad shape. With all of the buses, students, visitors, and construction workers; it's in as bad of shape as I've seen it. Fortunately the majority of the parking won't be here anyway. Only walking fans that will probably fall into one of these and drown.

I agree. I don't think you'll ever see the field leave from it's current location. It's just too convenient and it just plays into the mystique of our small-town Friday night football. I just wouldn't be the same to go some place else for a game. The good thing is that the Athletic Club has continued to make major improvements each year. From the home bleachers, to the press box, the visitor’s bleachers, and now the new building.... it's all going in the right direction. Having successful years and good fans make this all the easier.

Looking forward to a huge Friday night!!!

My personal opinion is the paving issue needs to be top priority. There are holes big enough to lose a small child in. I would bulldoze the old little league baseball fields, after they are moved to the new park, and make that additional parking for the high school and football games. Another idea would be to make a “real” practice field for the middle school football team.

I don’t know where the money will come from to finance these improvements……maybe we should ask Coopertown….they just built a beautiful facility, new football field and new weight room complete with weights. Maybe they were funded with traffic tickets.

As far as moving the current high school field to the park….I don’t see it happening anytime in the near or distant future….especially if they are planning on all of these new improvements….and PSL’s.

Excellent point. Maybe Ridgetop should funnel some of 'that' cash our way and we could become the GreenRidge High Top Kats, ain't that right No Doubt? :thumb:

Excellent point. Maybe Ridgetop should funnel some of 'that' cash our way and we could become the GreenRidge High Top Kats, ain't that right No Doubt? :thumb:

I actually started to mention that in my last post but the more I thought of it the madder I became. If we're going to use funds that come from tickets......... Ridgetop will be building a domed Neyland Stadium II sometime in the near future.

Heads up to the PJP fans.......... drive slow and observe the speed limit when you come into Ridgetop or you'll be back a month later to donate $125....... :lol:

Heads up to the PJP fans.......... drive slow and observe the speed limit when you come into Ridgetop or you'll be back a month later to donate $125....... :thumb:

I have a relative that lives in Springfield so I come through there about every week. Ridgetop waits for drivers to come up the hill and catch you by waiting at the carwash just inside city limits. You're pushing the accelerator to maintain speed while climbing the hill. Then you have to go from 55-60 to 40 in about 2 seconds. If you're not prepared it is easy to get caught.

Why are the tickets so high...wow $125!?! Is that because everyone that gets caught is going about 15 miles over the speed limit?

I'll try to keep my anticipation of the game under control until I get to Greenbrier Friday night!! :lol:

I have a relative that lives in Springfield so I come through there about every week. Ridgetop waits for drivers to come up the hill and catch you by waiting at the carwash just inside city limits. You're pushing the accelerator to maintain speed while climbing the hill. Then you have to go from 55-60 to 40 in about 2 seconds. If you're not prepared it is easy to get caught.

Why are the tickets so high...wow $125!?! Is that because everyone that gets caught is going about 15 miles over the speed limit?

I'll try to keep my anticipation of the game under control until I get to Greenbrier Friday night!! :thumb:

You're exactly right. They have some sneaky ways. They also like to sit on the sides of the road, or even in private driveways, in the dark, just where the speed limit changes. But it's not a speed trap by any means......... :lol:

$125 is the standard price to go to traffic school and you have to pay in cash. They won't take a check. I think it's around $108 if you just pay the ticket.

Edited by NoDoubt

Exactly. They also like to sit on the sides of the road, or even in private driveways, in the dark, just where the speed limit changes. But it's not a speed trap by any means......... :thumb:

$125 is the standard price to go to traffic school and you have to pay in cash. They won't take a check. I think it's around $108 if you just pay the ticket.

Can anyone tell me...does Ridgetop officers train Millersville officers, or vice versa? :lol: