How does Tn football compare to Ga Football?

tcpioneer3

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does Tn football compare to Ga Football? Just curious to what opinions are and why?

I agree with SC3. Coaches definitely make more money, but the pressure is greater also. Speaking in generalities, though, I think GA football is more physical than TN football. That is not true everywhere, but in many of the schools I have witnessed that is the trend. Also, football is more important in GA than here. The communities and administrations back the teams more. Again, that is a generality, and does not encompass all TN schools and GA schools. And all of this is on my observations only. ( I have coached both places).

Roughly 30 percent of the population of GA is African-American, roughly 15 percent of Tennessee's population is. GA has more people overall too. That's a major difference in the number of skill players going on to play in college, it would be like comparing Tennessee to Idaho. And that's not saying no white guys can run or all black kids are fast. I think for the most part the coaching staffs are larger in GA, when you're specializing on teaching one position, on the average, it has to make a difference. I do think the top few teams every year in TN, whether it's Riverdale, MBA, Brentwood Academy, Melrose, could match up with most any in GA, but there are more of those top level teams in the Peach State.

Some good comments..Ive coached both places and the biggest difference I see is the coaching staff..when I coached in Tn there were 3 ppl on the high school coaching staff...now in ga we have 12. The kids are expected to do more also...and they do it or they arent a part of the team...numbers are larger also...more talent...Ive coached good players in Tn that would have trouble seeing the field in Ga...and as far as the pay...its MUCH better...however more time is put in...around 35 hrs a week from july thru november...but the payoff is worth it..id like to see tn, or some systems in tn, give the head coaches a full staff so it can be done right...dont get me wrong, im a tn boy all the way but there is no comparison when it comes to georgia high school footbal and tn h.s. football.

Some good comments..Ive coached both places and the biggest difference I see is the coaching staff..when I coached in Tn there were 3 ppl on the high school coaching staff...now in ga we have 12. The kids are expected to do more also...and they do it or they arent a part of the team...numbers are larger also...more talent...Ive coached good players in Tn that would have trouble seeing the field in Ga...and as far as the pay...its MUCH better...however more time is put in...around 35 hrs a week from july thru november...but the payoff is worth it..id like to see tn, or some systems in tn, give the head coaches a full staff so it can be done right...dont get me wrong, im a tn boy all the way but there is no comparison when it comes to georgia high school footbal and tn h.s. football.

You make a good point about the size of the coaching staff. I went form one in Ga of 14 coaches for a 4A school to one of 4 coaches for a 3A school in TN. Much smaller!

The hard cold facts are that Georgia places more emphasis on football than we do in Tennessee. The large high schools in Georgia run their football teams like small college programs. In Tennessee most head coaches try to do everything where in Georgia the head coach is more like a CEO and watches over his staff.

The hard cold facts are that Georgia places more emphasis on football than we do in Tennessee. The large high schools in Georgia run their football teams like small college programs. In Tennessee most head coaches try to do everything where in Georgia the head coach is more like a CEO and watches over his staff.

Man, how right you are. At the school I just came from in GA, the HC made 99K last year, and organized all the practices, oversaw the coaches and their individual groups, but did very little "coaching". We finished 8-2 in the reg season, and was 4th in our region. We made the playoffs for the 7th straight year.

I would have to say that across the board, Georgia high school football is slightly better than TN football.more talent,more pressure to win, lots of talent.I do however believe that it depends where in the state you are talking about.Just like the knoxville area has great football, so does ATL and theyre surrounding regions

Georgia high school football is better than Tennessee high school because of the coaching and talent. As much as we like Tennessee High School football it lags behind some of the other states in the south.

Case in point. Maryville was one of the better football teams in Tennessee last year. As much as I love the Rebels I saw a team play last year that would have beaten Maryville by 50-60 points. That team was Byrnes High School from South Carolina. Byrnes was by far the greatest high school team I ever seen. No other team I ever seen played at a level that Byrnes played at. I watched them beat MBA 62-14. Byrnes let up or it could have been 80-90 to 0. This isn't a slap at MBA either. MBA had a good team. Every team in Tennessee would have been drilled by Byrnes.