Tennessean Midstate Top 10

TheBigRedDog

I am sure that the D2AAA schools would welcome any of the D1 teams into D2AAA if they wish to take a leap of faith. It's seems odd that everyone wants to talk smack about D2AAA but few D1 teams wish to play them in a regular season game.

My comment was made tongue-in-cheek, but you are correct. Right or wrong, they are not going to play on what they believe is an unlevel playing field. And before we REALLY get this going, allow me a couple of comments. This is 28 years of experience that says D1 teams recruit, too. But there can be no arguement that D2 teams recruit, that's how they get students. Just because the student is a studd, well.........

VI

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I liked the HS preview pull out section, but would liked to have seen more info on each team. The Tennessean used to give more of a breakdown on each region and each individual team including several impact players on both sides of the ball. They used to start early in August with 1A and build up each day as the season approached. Now with the pull out, they just name the coach, last year's record and a couple of sentences on the team. Just a thought.

What you're looking for can be found in On The Ball Magazine's HS Football Preview. It's a new free HS sports magazine debuting in the Midstate after a successful year in West TN (sans Shelby County). You can find it at any Kroger in the Midstate as well as many Wal-Marts, Publix, and Food Lions.

What you're looking for can be found in On The Ball Magazine's HS Football Preview. It's a new free HS sports magazine debuting in the Midstate after a successful year in West TN (sans Shelby County). You can find it at any Kroger in the Midstate as well as many Wal-Marts, Publix, and Food Lions.

Nice. I'll have to pick one up.

1. Brentwood Academy

2. Riverdale

3. Franklin

4. Gallatin

5. Ravenwood

6. Smyrna

7. Hillsboro

8. LaVergne

9. Goodpasture

10. Wilson Central

I've got to question these rankings. I realize its just a preseason poll, but there are clearly some errors, once again, by Jeff Lockridge. To not have MBA even in the top ten is ridiculous. BA appears to be very strong, but we'll have to see. They were 7-5 last year. Seems like they are picked #1 or near it every year and don't get it done. I think Gallatin deserves to be in there. Franklin will be good, but #3 seems high. Goodpasture, while a good 2A team, should not be in the group. MBA handled them in a scrimmage. LaVergne(7-4) and The Smyrna(7-5) seem to be a little overated, as well. Both of those teams have alot to prove, especially playing in that region. Surprised to see Brentwood High, Whites Creek and Maplewood left out.

Also, I liked the HS preview pull out section, but would liked to have seen more info on each team. The Tennessean used to give more of a breakdown on each region and each individual team including several impact players on both sides of the ball. They used to start early in August with 1A and build up each day as the season approached. Now with the pull out, they just name the coach, last year's record and a couple of sentences on the team. Just a thought.

Whites Creek and Maplewood should be on that list.

6. Smyrna - off the list

8. LaVergne - off the list

The "Top 10" is an unscientific poll in which our prep writers, with input from area coaches, select the "best teams" in our coverage area regardless of classification.

That list is bais and bogus.

And it will change soon.

One of these years folks will realize that preseason polls are just best guesses and that's it. It's nothing worth getting worked up about. With the quantity of schools in the midstate and the quality of play at many of those schools, it's nearly impossible to create a top ten that everyone is going to pretty much agree upon. Of course, my Alma Mater's number three in the poll so whatever I say is going to seem like I'm defending it because of that.

I am sure that the D2AAA schools would welcome any of the D1 teams into D2AAA if they wish to take a leap of faith. It's seems odd that everyone wants to talk smack about D2AAA but few D1 teams wish to play them in a regular season game.

What would this accomplish? To get better, you have to play the best teams available. For a D1 school, this is a no win situation. If they win, they are only beating up on a weaker team and not getting themselves "ready for the real season" and if they lose, they get embarrassed and ridiculed for being a weak team that can't even go down a division and win.

The opposite is true for the D2 team. If they lose, they weren't supposed to win anyway..... it's a bigger, stronger school. If they win... wow, look how good we are, we beat up on an upper division school.