Who is the best coach in East Tennessee

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't declare him the best, but Charlie Wiggins of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish has done an amazing job in four years. He went from 1-9 to 8-4 to 13-1(NDs best season EVER) in just three years. You have to consider him to be one of the top in East Tennessee if not the entire state or Tennessee

Edited by michigan21

I guess I'm just the first to say it but i know everyone has it in their mind. George Quarles (Maryville). Theres a reason you get offered the offensive coordinator job at South Carolina by Steve Spurriur. The next on my list is Gary Rankin (Alcoa) who could also coach at the next level. I personally wish George would have accepted the job at SC. It would be kind of cool for him to coach Cade Thompson a former player of his from Maryville. Who by the way will be exceptionally good when he starts (which he will).

I guess I'm just the first to say it but i know everyone has it in their mind. George Quarles (Maryville). Theres a reason you get offered the offensive coordinator job at South Carolina by Steve Spurriur. The next on my list is Gary Rankin (Alcoa) who could also coach at the next level. I personally wish George would have accepted the job at SC. It would be kind of cool for him to coach Cade Thompson a former player of his from Maryville. Who by the way will be exceptionally good when he starts (which he will).

Allthough these are two very well respected coaches, it seems as if you are judging them on their winning streaks and their State Championships. I think a good coach isn't one who always wins, but instead one who turns around a program from losing season after losing season to an 8-2 or 9-1 team. I do not know the history of Alcoa or Maryville before they started the massacre of AA and AAAA so maybe they have came from a mediocre team to state champions. Someone help me out on these two teams history

Top 3:

Rankin at Alcoa - The Man! Whoo!

Quarles at Maryville - Football Coachin Son of a Gun! Whoo!

My man at Oak Ridge, Whoo!

Then...

Mike Lunsford, Whoo!, an assistant coach at Hampton took Cloudland (with 208 students) to the promised land in 2001. His addition to the staff at Hampton immediately turned a 4-6 team on average into a state semi-final squad that year. This year he will lead Hampton to the semi's again. Whoo!

Graham Clark, Dobyns-Bennett

Greg Stubbs, Tennessee High - Whoo!

theres not a best coach because each team is different and they will all be different under other coaches.. when you look at maryville yeah they are great but but so are other teams that win state on a semi-regular basis.. every1 has their opinion but naming coaches good when their teams have a below 500 record is just wrong.. so dont do it