Who is the best coach in East Tennessee

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allthough these are two very well respected coaches, it seems as if you are judging them on their winning streaks and their State Championships. I think a good coach isn't one who always wins, but instead one who turns around a program from losing season after losing season to an 8-2 or 9-1 team. I do not know the history of Alcoa or Maryville before they started the massacre of AA and AAAA so maybe they have came from a mediocre team to state champions. Someone help me out on these two teams history

I disagree, I think George Quarles is the best case closed. He takes a team with no real"superstars" and makes them a team. A good coach not only turns programs around, he continues to build upon what he has and to maintain the tradition at Maryville is remarkable in the least.

As good as Alcoa is, They have dominated 2A with D-1 level kids at 2-3 positions. this year for example, the have the 5A allstate running back from Jefferson County during his Freshman year, He was not a full time starter at Alcoa last year. Still haven't quite figured that one out. I know the Alcoa "official" Statement but that is BS.

I disagree, I think George Quarles is the best case closed. He takes a team with no real"superstars" and makes them a team. A good coach not only turns programs around, he continues to build upon what he has and to maintain the tradition at Maryville is remarkable in the least.

Are you kidding me? you don't take a mediocre team in 5A that wins state championships. It just doesnt happen. You have to have athletes but with that said, you also do need a good coach. I do believe the George Quarles is a very good coach, but your reasons for stating that don't seem to be true. And to be honest, to build upon a state championship program is not very hard. Especially when you are the only good team in your city, of course every good athlete is going to want to go to the winning school. But like i said, it isnt like Quarles isnt a big part of the program but just because his team is the best in the state doesnt mean there arent coaches out there who could do the same with the athletes he has.

• 2 weeks later...

Im just wandering who everybody thinks is the best coach and there opinions who is the best coach.

hey ******* i think i am the only one who knows who u are and u know who i am... but me and u play under the same coach and i think that coach davey gillium is a heck of a coach for the highlanders.... he has came in and we have worked like dogs to be prepared to play in this region.... his offense has really worked for us... i start center and the blocking schemes that we have really work for us under the leadership of our qb josh terry who is no doubt gonna be all state this year.. i know that we havent proved ourselves yet but in time we will my class is real good and im just a somphmore so be lookin for scott to make a rise in this region :thumb:

When I think of the best head coaches in East TN, the names that immediately come to mind are Coach Quarles at Maryville, Coach Kries at Coalfield, Coach Satterfield at Knox Christian and Coach Woods at Morristown West.

Both of our coaches in Scott County, Jim Burchfield and Davey Gillum, are class acts who coach their teams well. With enough years under their belt as head coach, I think either would prove themselves among the best around.

We also have a couple of assistant coaches in Scott County who are outstanding at what they do. One has been a head coach, one hasn't, but I think either could be a head coach just about anywhere and be successful. And they are Tony Lambert and Bill Hall.

When I think of the best head coaches in East TN, the names that immediately come to mind are Coach Quarles at Maryville, Coach Kries at Coalfield, Coach Satterfield at Knox Christian and Coach Woods at Morristown West.

Both of our coaches in Scott County, Jim Burchfield and Davey Gillum, are class acts who coach their teams well. With enough years under their belt as head coach, I think either would prove themselves among the best around.

We also have a couple of assistant coaches in Scott County who are outstanding at what they do. One has been a head coach, one hasn't, but I think either could be a head coach just about anywhere and be successful. And they are Tony Lambert and Bill Hall.

amen. you're a pretty smart guy written word. I don't care what people say :lol: