Obion Co hosts Dresden

VOREBS

I agree...But it's still a lose-lose....Especially since UC dropped to 1A...I would at least like to see OC drop Dresden and Gibson Co....I think playing Chester Co is a good thing they are 3A....And the Rebs could schedule either some Memphis 3A school that doesn't expect to play us home and home and a rural 3A team that has a big fan base over toward the Tennessee River....Or see if a 4A team would play us...Say a Henry County or a team OC used to play,Brighton....Or maybe play a team from out of state...That always generates interest....

Backinthaaoc... you're contradicting yourself. Why would a 4-A school want to play a 3-A squad like Obion County? It would be a no win for them. I'm sorry but you can't have it both ways. For many years Huntingdon played Bruceton and we didn't look at it as a 2-A playing a 1-A team. Heck man, they've beaten us a bunch of times but you know what.... They brought more fans to Huntingdon than Lexington ever did.

Edited by Mr. Mustang

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree...But it's still a lose-lose....Especially since UC dropped to 1A...I would at least like to see OC drop Dresden and Gibson Co....I think playing Chester Co is a good thing they are 3A....And the Rebs could schedule either some Memphis 3A school that doesn't expect to play us home and home and a rural 3A team that has a big fan base over toward the Tennessee River....Or see if a 4A team would play us...Say a Henry County or a team OC used to play,Brighton....Or maybe play a team from out of state...That always generates interest....

well why would u want to to drop gibson co.? we were ya'lls homecoming two years ago but spoiled that and we had a heck of a game with yall last year...why drop it the past 2 years have both been really good games

Ridgeway 5A has already come up that way to play a 4A henry co team. the difference between 3,4,and 5 A are not as big as the differnce between 3 and 1 or even 3 and 2. just look at college scouting, if you dont play 3A or better they dont really consider you. take hewett for example, arkansas st is the biggest school interested in him. its not because of talent its because of classification. schools that size are playing guys on both sides and usually a lot of them, but once you get to the 3, 4, and 5's you dont see that as much. players are more rested and you get a better feel for what kind of player someone is. all that was said in support of OC not playing down in classification, at least not in rural west tennessee.

Backinthaaoc... you're contradicting yourself. Why would a 4-A school want to play a 3-A squad like Obion County? It would be a no win for them. I'm sorry but you can't have it both ways. For many years Huntingdon played Bruceton and we didn't look at it as a 2-A playing a 1-A team. Heck man, they've beaten us a bunch of times but you know what.... They brought more fans to Huntingdon than Lexington ever did.

I can have it any way I want..Im not a coach and don't have to schedule opponents.... :P ....What I am saying is that for the Rebels to play a 4A would put them in the win-win....I'm not worried about the team that puts themself in that lose-lose position against us.... :P ...I just get tired of that excuse...So,if the Rebels win Friday,people will come on here and say well,you should its a 2A team...And if they lose,it's like how could you let little ole 2A Dresden beat you?...When me,you and everybody else knows for a fact that there are a few 2A teams that could compete very well in 3A....Huntingdon,Milan and in many years Westview....

I'm also not real sure what you meant by the "3A squad like Obion County"comment

I understand the county rivalry thing...I've been on both sides of it...I know they will continue to play because of the tremendous gate....But a 3A team can't make a living playing 1A teams....And I've already been hearing things like,well OC is 3A and we(UC fans) are 1A so yea,they should beat us all the time now..It's a crock...Like the Huntingdon-Bruceton series..you never used to hear that said..Of course Union City was winning all the time

By the way...Why does Huntingdon and Bruceton not play anymore???..Is it because McKenzie dropped to 1A and Coach Mansfield didn't want two 1A's on his schedule??Looks to me like a Mustang-Tiger game would bring much more fans and money than a Huntingdon-Liberty game??...Just Asking...

But even forgetting about a 4A team, for the sake of your argument,there are 7 teams in Region 6-3A the Rebs could schedule..And we are only talking about 2 games to schedule anyway, if we were to keep Chester Co., because Union City is going to stay on the schedule...

Backinthaaoc... Well, I was using OC as an example because you brought it up. Please feel free to insert any team in that wording. Let's look at it another way. Why wouldn't Henry County want to play Dresden? If they got beat they could use that same excuse as a no win situation. What about CC and Milan. If Milan wins do you think CC will say it's a no win situation for them? Huntingdon only had 18 more students than McKenzie in the last classification but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be playing them.

Bruceton quit playing us and Camden after last year and they picked up Fayette Academy and McEwen in off weeks for both schools.

Huntingdon has always played a tough schedule and that's the reason they do well in the post season in my opinion. Now we're pretty much locked in our schedule and have no room for old rivalry games. Don't you think we'd rather play Bruceton than Liberty. Been playing them for 75 years.

Know what.. It doesn't matter what classification Huntingdon's opponent is. The team that blocks and tackles the best usually wins..

One last thing.. Don't think Dresden is a "little ole 2-A team" like you said...

Edited by Mr. Mustang

This could be a season for the record books at OC....The offense is in place..The defense is going to be much better....The Rebels have better senior leadership than they have had in many years....One of their goals this year is to protect their house...Week 1 is the first step in reaching that goal....Dresden is a solid club..They have two all-staters in Hewitt and Vallee...OC had the game won last year in the lightning storm until a referee misinterpreted the deception rule and took a long gain for the Rebels away on a fake punt to the Lion goalline..The Rebels not only lost the big gainer..They had to punt the ball...Dresden scored a late TD then got a booming field goal at the end to win...I still hear that sound of the ball being kicked...Sounded like a cannon going off...47 yards into the wind and rain and off the fieldhouse at Dresden...Probably could have gone 57 yards....

I think Dresden will come out strong,but the Rebel O-Line will wear the Lions down in the end...I think the Rebels will come out and balance their offense between the run and the pass...If they can do that not many teams will be able to stop the mid-line option and veer......I predict a Rebel victory...This team will move the ball and will score....I see the Rebs winning 31-14....

The rule was not misinterpreted! Nashville was called and the ruling on the feild was determined to be correct. Anytime a substitution is made with intent or not and it is decieving than it is a penalty. Check your Rule Books!

sbl0702

The rule was not misinterpreted! Nashville was called and the ruling on the feild was determined to be correct. Anytime a substitution is made with intent or not and it is decieving than it is a penalty. Check your Rule Books!

sbl0702

The player in question ran past the official who was past the hash marks.....So if that is deception...So be it... :thumb:

Jacob Fullbright offically out for the season with a torn ACL. Thats gonna hurt us tonight on the last second thing ,but Justin Ogden has seen his time on the field and will be able to fill in.

I'm giving this one to us in a close game.

FEAR THE VEER!!!!

i heard the score was 21-14 with central winning...congratulations to oc and best of luck to dresden!

Obion Co. Central wins their season opener tonite in Troy beating the Dresden Lions 21-14....Garrett Grady led a Rebel ground attack that utilized one of their strengths,the experienced offensive line...Grady running mainly behind 3 year starter Steven Weaks,Savion Hayslett and Adam Battles gained close to 140 yards on 28 carries...Justin Ogden filling in for the injured Jacob Fulbright had a good night rushing with close to 60 yards on only 6 carries and Chase Clanton also did his usual steady job fom his slot position and also ran for close to 60 yards...Logan Parker had an efficient game,mainly handing the ball off to Grady on the mid-line option...Logan completed only two passes,but none more important than a 9 yard completion to Ogden on a 3rd and 8 late in the game to help OC run out the clock...The defense was opportunistic coming up with 5 fumble recoveries..Three by all-state running back Matt Hewitt and two by Dwayne Bailey on back-to-back series in the second half....OC has plenty to work on..This was a far from perfect performance,but it is a win nonetheless...OC had a couple big penalties that brought back big gainers and had four turnovers...Three fumbles and an interception.....OC scored first and led 7-0....Dresden scored on a blocked punt..Nanney missed the PAT and the score stood at 7-6 OC...OC took a 14 -6 lead into the locker room at half....OC then received the opening kickoff and drove easily down the field on 3 consecutive Grady runs,forcing the Lions to call timeout...But on the following play Chase Clanton fumbled the ball after a nice gain around the Dresden 10....Dresden followed that with a fumble at the Lion 20 yard line...Justin Ogden scored on the first play and OC led 21-6 after Grady's 3rd consecutive PAT....Dresden scored in the 4th quarter one play after a 4th and 8 try at the Lion 47 was no good by the Rebels....QB Justin Coleman threw a 53 yard TD pass to Randy Williams...Hewitt ran in the 2pt conversion to make it 21-14...OC held on and won their first season opener under Darren Bowling...Next up..Crockett Co..a 35-14 winner over Milan...Looks like the Cavs are for real this year...

A little side note to this game...OC had to go into the game blind as far as a scouting report...Craig Rogers,coach of Dresden,decided not to trade films with OC...Now,I don't believe it's mandatory to do this,it is a widely accepted practice..Why he decided not to do it,I don't know,but to the OC coaching staff it was perceived as a lack of respect to them as a staff and it was used as motivation by the players as it was perceived by them as an act of disrespect to the Rebel program...

Edited by backinthaoc

Despite the results, I think Dresden showed they're going to be a better team than some might have thought. Their 7-2A region will be a shootout as always, but this year looks to be especially interesting with Peabody and Westview's wins. Good luck to the OC next week with Crockett...I definately think the Cavs have a great chance at their region.