Region 1-3A season discussion thread

KevB1990

On to Week 5 action...

Morristown East at Carter. I think East can win the game with their new attitude and coaching staff, but I believe Carter will defend the home field and stay undefeated.

David Crockett at Rutledge. It's Homecoming at Optimist Field as the Pioneers battle the Pioneers. Last season in Jonesborough, Crockett was the victim and Rutledge snapped an 11-game losing streak in the process. Now Rutledge is on a 4-game tear following the season-opening heartbreaker to Cherokee while Crockett is sliding again after a season-opening win over Sullivan East. Rutledge should cruise.

Gibbs at South-Doyle. Very interesting considering the Eagles were shut out at home by CAK who is no slouch and South-Doyle just broke a 9-game losing streak by knocking off Clinton who is a slouch. S-D won 33-nil last season at Corryton. I'll take South-Doyle at home.

Sevier County at Seymour. The Eagles are going to be smarting from their double overtime loss to Rutledge and the Smoky Bears should be feeling pretty good after knocking off Science Hill. Lots to consider, especially county pride, but I will go with the Bears on the road.

Campbell County at Union County. Another interesting matchup. Campbell County has lost three straight, but has had a week to prepare after getting blanked by Clinton. Union County looked to be getting back on track after beating Greenback two weeks ago, but took a step back in getting thumped by Claiborne. The common thread is both teams were in the playoffs in 2004 after years of being at or near the bottom of their regions. Not a lot of hope remains for the loser of this one to get an important non-region win for seeding should tie-breakers come into play. I'll take Union at home, though the Cougs may be well-rested enough to pull it out.

GOTW

Claiborne at Cumberland Gap. The battle for supremacy in Claiborne County goes on in Arthur (for those who ain't in the know, that's a little community between Harrogate and Speedwell on TN-63). Last season, the Panthers came to New Tazewell and rolled. This season, the Panthers are just winning their first game of the season against three defeats while the Bulldogs got back on track a couple of weeks ago after being shut out by Carter.

In a nutshell...Claiborne has been itchin' to exact a little revenge over their neighbors to the north and the Gap is struggling this year after taking three pretty good beatings before nailing Chuckey-Doak last night.

Based on C-D as the common denominator, Claiborne by 12.

Edited by KevB1990

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Week 6

West Greene at Claiborne: Why even bother? Claiborne is getting what amounts to an open date before a huge game with Gibbs in Week 7. Dogs by 40 over the Buffs.

Rutledge at Gibbs: The Pioneers hit a little bump in the road called reality last week in losing at home on Homecoming to Crockett. This is a rivalry game going back to the 70s. A lot riding on this game for both teams...Gibbs can put themselves into the middle of the title chase in the region with a win or Rutledge can continue to move on to a possible showdown with Carter for all the marbles with a victory. One other sidenote is the 6 Shares competition between the schools to benefit Second Harvest.

The Eagles caught a big break last year with a 13-12 win at Rutledge. The Pioneers get some payback. Rutledge by 10.

Union County at Pigeon Forge: This is for playoff position. For all their woes, Pigeon Forge can still salvage a playoff spot with wins in three of their final four region games. This one in Dolly Parton Country will show just how far off some folks predicitions for PF were this season, or see if they have the resiliency to make a stand this season.

This was one of two games that the Patriots won last season in shutout fashion...in Maynardville. The location makes the difference...PF by 3.

GOTW

Seymour at Carter: The Eagles are on a two-game skid looking to make things a great big mess at the top if they can go to Strawberry Plains and pull the upset.

The last two meetings between the schools have produced blowout shutouts...one each. Something says both teams will score, but...

Carter by 17

Edited by KevB1990

Gibbs might be hitting a stride at a good time. I look for them to beat Claiborne and be on a streak coming across the highway to Carter.

I wasn't there, but was told by several that attended the game was more of a product of Rutledge playing like they forgot how to rather than Gibbs playing that well...

45-yard FG is one of those freak things...not a lot of kickers in high school can do that and I'm sure it being homecoming had a little something to do with a little more pep in the Eagles step...Claiborne will win

Hey KevB,

45 yard field (Cole's was actually 44) goals in high school may be a freak thing, but when a kid can hit it twice (the officials whistled a time-out for Rutledge after the snap) in a row with that much pressure and the game on the line, I say it was more a desire to win, and total concentration than a freak thing. Cole is a great kid, and has a bright future in store. I think the Claiborne game will be a good one, and I'm not going to name a winner, it depends on how each team shows up.

I wasn't there, but was told by several that attended the game was more of a product of Rutledge playing like they forgot how to rather than Gibbs playing that well...

45-yard FG is one of those freak things...not a lot of kickers in high school can do that and I'm sure it being homecoming had a little something to do with a little more pep in the Eagles step...Claiborne will win

Well, I was there and both teams made mistakes. Gibbs clogged the veer somewhat and Rutledge slowed up Gibb's passing game. But the kicking of a 45 yard field goal twice still is something special Cole.

Just for your info, Monday, the Rutledge JV beat Gibbs JV by two touchdowns and Thursday, Gibbs Freshman beat Rutledge Freshman 16-0. Looks like it will still be a dogfight between the schools for the next few years.