Sports Illustrated HS Football Preview

FBEmeritus

Rise Magazine high school football writer Jon Mahoney has selected Maryville HS as the Best Team in TN. I think this to be a great recognition for maybe not just this year’s team but the last 5-6 years of winning teams at Maryville has brought national recognition. Reading the article there is some tough company around the country.

Congratz to the home town team.

follow the link

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/high...map.info/4.html

Tennessee

Top team: Maryville

Maryville won its fifth Class 4A state title in six years last season. Seniors Tyler Maples (WR-DB), Adrian Baker (RB) and Dwight Wood (DL) make it the favorite to repeat.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With that said cbq, I would like to raise a question that I have been wondering for a while...how does Maryville get good talent year in and year out...I must say, I hardly believe Blount County is THAT loaded with talent, especially for one high school...not slinging dirt at Maryville, just stating my oppinion and asking the oppinion of others...

With that said cbq, I would like to raise a question that I have been wondering for a while...how does Maryville get good talent year in and year out...I must say, I hardly believe Blount County is THAT loaded with talent, especially for one high school...not slinging dirt at Maryville, just stating my oppinion and asking the oppinion of others...

It is about coaching more than it is talent. Not saying that there has not been a good amount of talent there over the years but there have not been D1 players all over the place. Maryville replaced their top running back the past two games with a 5'6 150 pound sophmore. Maryville is about preperation, coaching and primarily fundamental football. The good teams are not always necessarily "loaded" with talent. At the high school level, more than any other coaching has a lot to do with it. At Maryville if you see a player go down, more times than not you will see another come in with little if any let down at the position. That is preperation and coaching. Quarles constantly tells them they do not have to be the best team in the State every friday night, just better than the one they are playing and that formula has worked pretty well.

As good as an example as any is probably last year when we beat a much more talented Alcoa team. They are in Blount County also by the way.

Edited by mhs

I know they are in Blount County, as is Heritage and William Blount...and I know coach Quarles is a good coach, a really good coach...and you're right about there not being alot of d1 talent, but just preparation and coaching...however, I just don't honestly believe preparation and coaching wins you 5 titles in 6 years...of course, then again, until I've been in the lockerroom with Coach Quarles or been to a practice, who am I to say...

I know they are in Blount County, as is Heritage and William Blount...and I know coach Quarles is a good coach, a really good coach...and you're right about there not being alot of d1 talent, but just preparation and coaching...however, I just don't honestly believe preparation and coaching wins you 5 titles in 6 years...of course, then again, until I've been in the lockerroom with Coach Quarles or been to a practice, who am I to say...

As far as the coaching goes it is more than just Quarles. David Ellis has been at Maryville for several years and it would be hard to find a better offensive line coach in the State IMO. He has head coaching experience as does Def Coordinator Jimmy Gaylor. They have a good group of coaches and Quarles is not a control freak but lets them all do their jobs. Not all high school coaches feel comfortable doing that. I can honestly say Maryville players are much more talented when they leave then when they arrive. Like I said there have been talented players but we honestly send more to the Maryville Colleges of the world than the big schools. With a system the players buy into and good coaching, average players become good players and good players can become outstanding players. Before Quarles came on board as head coach they had one title in 20 years. What is your explanation for their success?

Before Quarles came on board as head coach they had one title in 20 years. What is your explanation for their success?

I already said Quarles is a good coach, what more do you wish to hear??? I believe Quarles is among the best in the state, however, 5 titles in 6 years just isn't natural in my oppinion...something seems wrong with that picture to me...and it is either one of two things in my oppinion...either the state is weak in 4A year in and year out...or...there could be more going on then "good coaching"...

Maryville playing Byrnes would be interesting. The Byrnes QB, Willie Korn, is a Sevier County native. His dad was a Dr. there. He was and is a very talented QB and rated high by Rival.

I have to disagree...I believe Byrnes would dismantle Maryville...just my oppinion...

I already said Quarles is a good coach, what more do you wish to hear??? I believe Quarles is among the best in the state, however, 5 titles in 6 years just isn't natural in my oppinion...something seems wrong with that picture to me...and it is either one of two things in my oppinion...either the state is weak in 4A year in and year out...or...there could be more going on then "good coaching"...

I have to disagree...I believe Byrnes would dismantle Maryville...just my oppinion...

LOL....are you stupid or just trying to stir the pot. Obviously comprehension is an issue with you.

Please tell us what you think is going on?... Have you ever been to a Maryville game? Ever witnessed those boys execute the GQ offense? Have you ever observed the discipline of a Maryville football team? Take some time and watch these Maryville teams win state championships with less tallent than their opponents. If you knew a little about football then you would understand..

Most of these kids start playing together at age 7. Of the 23 seniors on this years team 13 of them fall under that catagory. Over 100 of the 138 team members played together in the Maryville youth leagues.

Mayville has the best coaching staff in the state and this staff has been together for several years with little change.

That's only the tip of the iceberg as to why Maryville is consistently good. Drive by the school on a normal Sunday in ....let's say March and note the 15 to 25 kids running pass paterns and QB's throwing....all on their own. This is almost a dailey occurance during the off season. Stop by after a three hour practice an see how many kids stay an hour afterwards to hone their skills.

You see...it's not too difficult if you desire to be champions. Maybe someday you will obtain that desire in whatever you do. :thumb:

Edited by MLREB