Blount County Champs Unimportant

LordInfamous

Even as a Maryville High School student, I fail to see the importance of the Blount County Championship. It does little for bragging rights, because well when do all of these kids have time to rub it in. It is more for the adults who work at Alcoa, Denso, or the city of Maryville to sit around and argue about on lunch breaks and at company picnics. Over the past 4.5 years i have been in college I have seen highschool football go to new levels. I have watched Memphis Melrose go againts powerhouses from St. Louis, Atlanta, Chicago, and other metropolitian areas. I have also seen schools like Mccallie, MBA, and Austin-East (they atleast scrimmaged Independence) do the same. This has helped these teams gain recognition nationally which not only helps the program, but the players as well. Tennessee and C-N are great schools, but there are some players from Maryville who could have played at schools like Toledo, Central Florida, Colorado State, NorthWestern, KSU, and other D-1 schools but have settled on becomming fighting scots or eagles. I mean Maryville needs to start playing schools from other states as well as playing other in state powerhouses. It makes no sense that a school with all of those state championships, a 32-0 record over the past 2+ years, and all of the talents it has to not be recognized. #50 out o 100 on some backwoods VFW lodge#234 poll is not that great, when schools with 1/3 of Maryville recent accomplishments are being featured in USA Today. Just food for thought...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even as a Maryville High School student, I fail to see the importance of the Blount County Championship. It does little for bragging rights, because well when do all of these kids have time to rub it in. It is more for the adults who work at Alcoa, Denso, or the city of Maryville to sit around and argue about on lunch breaks and at company picnics. Over the past 4.5 years i have been in college I have seen highschool football go to new levels. I have watched Memphis Melrose go againts powerhouses from St. Louis, Atlanta, Chicago, and other metropolitian areas. I have also seen schools like Mccallie, MBA, and Austin-East (they atleast scrimmaged Independence) do the same. This has helped these teams gain recognition nationally which not only helps the program, but the players as well. Tennessee and C-N are great schools, but there are some players from Maryville who could have played at schools like Toledo, Central Florida, Colorado State, NorthWestern, KSU, and other D-1 schools but have settled on becomming fighting scots or eagles. I mean Maryville needs to start playing schools from other states as well as playing other in state powerhouses. It makes no sense that a school with all of those state championships, a 32-0 record over the past 2+ years, and all of the talents it has to not be recognized. #50 out o 100 on some backwoods VFW lodge#234 poll is not that great, when schools with 1/3 of Maryville recent accomplishments are being featured in USA Today. Just food for thought...

Cannot agree more with a few of your points. Two years ago the school had a chance to be the CSS game of the something and a deal could not be reached because the AD thought the company should pay to carry the games. There were some reasons he had for turning them down, some valid, but in my mind they did not pass the common scence test. I was a great opportuinity to get a great program and many young men exposure at a greater level. But the offer was refused because Maryville wanted money! No other school I know of wanted a money deal. Maybe the Adminstration over there, starting at Daltons level, should insure less money is stolen from the kids' sports concession stands and now, maybe from the school offices. It is like the fox is guarding the hen house!

The other good point you made was there is no doubt more MHS kids could play at the next level. Many really don't want too, because college ball at any level is more like work than the fun it was in HS. Many college coaches have no clue about what kind of quality program Maryville has become. There is no question this coaching staff had done a great job at developing many kids who could excell at the next level. But with the sorry press coverage the local area has, no radio exposure except for a station with only about a 10 mile raids broadcast area and no chance for TV coverage until they get to the state game, exposure is very limited and is totality non exictaint for a quality athlete at WB or Heritage.

The papers and radio in smaller towns like Elizabethton and Morristown do twice the job covering local sports, at all levels, with less staff than the Maryville Daily fish wrap does. I mean NASCAR cut and paste from the AP is OK, but every day? I would rather read about little Johnny hitting a home run off the new Cherkree athletic training center than I would read about the in Tennis in France!

Blount County has four good High Schools and a Small College that do pretty well in athletics. But the only ones that know that is guys like me who go to the games and support the local teams and kids. The ole' boys "From Here" like it that way.

Edited by FBEmeritus

I am a Maryville native who spent 6 years in Tulsa, OK where my kids attended Union Public Schools. I am convinced that MHS could play with Union. I also think that the Maryville/Alcoa Football game should have been on some type of TV. In Oklahoma the two largest metro areas all had COX cable. Cox would show a OKC area high school game on Friday night and a Tulsa area team on Thursday night in both markets. We also need to fix up the facilites a bit. Chair back seats for season ticket holders would be nice (I am one). Union is playing Hoover, Alabama on Sept. 1 on national TV. What great exposure for both schools and the Birmingham and Tulsa areas.

Maybe when we get to be 5A we will be able to schedule other teams like that if we are in the same district as WB and Heritage.

GO REBELS GO UNION REDSKINS

Nice post, LordInfamous...I believe Maryville should definitely try their hands at teams like Camden County(GA), LaGrange(GA), Byrnes(SC), etc. etc....also, I know winning 5 out of the last 6 championships gives Maryville plenty of credibility, however, scheduling teams like Riverdale, McCallie, Montgomery Bell Academy, etc. etc. would give them lots of credibility, just like playing Byrnes, Camden County or LaGrange would...I think until Maryville starts playing some out of state teams, they won't get much recognition nationally...and my oppinion, for what its worth...its all well and good that Maryville can win state every year in 4A over here...but 4A over here compared to Georgia, South Carolina, and Florida is pretty weak...just my oppinion...

Nice post, LordInfamous...I believe Maryville should definitely try their hands at teams like Camden County(GA), LaGrange(GA), Byrnes(SC), etc. etc....also, I know winning 5 out of the last 6 championships gives Maryville plenty of credibility, however, scheduling teams like Riverdale, McCallie, Montgomery Bell Academy, etc. etc. would give them lots of credibility, just like playing Byrnes, Camden County or LaGrange would...I think until Maryville starts playing some out of state teams, they won't get much recognition nationally...and my oppinion, for what its worth...its all well and good that Maryville can win state every year in 4A over here...but 4A over here compared to Georgia, South Carolina, and Florida is pretty weak...just my oppinion...

Yeah my guess is Maryville cannot enjoy the drive back from Murfreesboro in December because they are worried sick about what is going on in Ga, SC and Florida. How many "weak" championships has your team won the past six years? Just curious. And by the way, opinion only has one P.

Edited by mhs

Yeah my guess is Maryville cannot enjoy the drive back from Murfreesboro in December because they are worried sick about what is going on in Ga, SC and Florida. How many "weak" championships has your team won the past six years? Just curious. And by the way, opinion only has one P.

I was just giving my opinion (happy with the spelling grammar buff?)...thats all...you're really taking this the wrong way...I mean, think about it...you all win the state title every year, thats come to be expected under the Quarles regime...would you not like for your school to have some national recognition, because that is quite a feat...not many schools can say they won 5 titles in 6 years...I was just saying you all could make the people think that Class 4A in the State of Tennessee is not weak if maybe you all scheduled some tough, perhaps nationally ranked out of state teams...and by the way...I don't support any particular team...I just love football :thumb:

Do you folks have any idea how the process works when you schedule games? Coach Lussier and Coach Quarles tried to work it out but never could. Would have been one heck of a game at the time. One reason is Maryville has to play the other Blount county schools. When you only have maybe 4 games that are not region games it doesn't leave much to work with. Plus you have to have an open week when the other team does. It just gets complicated.

I was just giving my opinion (happy with the spelling grammar buff?)...thats all...you're really taking this the wrong way...I mean, think about it...you all win the state title every year, thats come to be expected under the Quarles regime...would you not like for your school to have some national recognition, because that is quite a feat...not many schools can say they won 5 titles in 6 years...I was just saying you all could make the people think that Class 4A in the State of Tennessee is not weak if maybe you all scheduled some tough, perhaps nationally ranked out of state teams...and by the way...I don't support any particular team...I just love football :huh:

and the colors blue & white with 8's and engins' ......

I was just giving my opinion (happy with the spelling grammar buff?)...thats all...you're really taking this the wrong way...I mean, think about it...you all win the state title every year, thats come to be expected under the Quarles regime...would you not like for your school to have some national recognition, because that is quite a feat...not many schools can say they won 5 titles in 6 years...I was just saying you all could make the people think that Class 4A in the State of Tennessee is not weak if maybe you all scheduled some tough, perhaps nationally ranked out of state teams...and by the way...I don't support any particular team...I just love football :unsure:

Ok what National Poll are you using?

I can name three respected ones where Maryville is ranked nationally this year.

What poll are you looking at? No, BS or stammering name your favorite polls that you choose to respect.

Ok what National Poll are you using?

I can name three respected ones where is ranked nationally this year.

What poll are you looking at? No, BS or stammering name your favorite polls that you choose to respect.

In this post last year (link), you deemed national polls "silly" (and made your typical potshot at private schools).

Are we now to believe that you find national polls not "silly" and instead "respected"? Does the presence (or absence) of any certain team(s) in the national polls change your opinions about the polls?

Just curious.