MBA vs. MUS

TheBigRedDog

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MUS 10, MBA 7 Final.

Let me first say that MBA had plenty of chances to win this.

Having said that, it sounds like the refs hosed MBA at the end of the game. MBA drives down to the MUS 30 and spikes the ball with about 13 seconds left. The clock operator winds 2.4 seconds off for a spike. Coach Rutledge apparently was giving the ref an ear full for winding off that much time for a spike that should have been one second or less and they call a 5 yard sideline penalty on him. They then proceed to call a 15 yard unsprtsmanlike penalty on him backing MBA up to the 50 with 7 seconds left. The last play was a sack by MUS. Hard to beleive the refs would make those calls with the game on the line and MBA nearing field goal range. I have never heard of anything like this at any level. The radio guys said that Rutledge was continuing to give them an earfull after the game. This is amazing also because Rutledge is pretty softspoken and has even been criticized for not being fiery enough. I'll be interested to hear from someone who was there.

Edited by TheBigRedDog

about the penalty thing...MBA has no one to blame but themselves. if the refs warned the coach with a five yard penalty, then the coach should know that the refs aren't playin around. Anyways, it was a great hard fought game, and i just want to commend the MBA players for such good sportsmanship, in the last three years of playin, i cant remember the last time a guy on the other team helped me up off the ground (i was the right tackle #63). All of you are good guys and good luck on the rest of your season.

MUS 10, MBA 7 Final.

Having said that, it sounds like the refs hosed MBA at the end of the game. MBA drives down to the MUS 30 and spikes the ball with about 13 seconds left. The clock operator winds 2.4 seconds off for a spike. Coach Rutledge apparently was giving the ref an ear full for winding off that much time for a spike that should have been one second or less and they call a 5 yard sideline penalty on him. They then proceed to call a 15 yard unsprtsmanlike penalty on him backing MBA up to the 50 with 7 seconds left. The last play was a sack by MUS. Hard to beleive the refs would make those calls with the game on the line and MBA nearing field goal range. I have never heard of anything like this at any level. The radio guys said that Rutledge was continuing to give them an earfull after the game. This is amazing also because Rutledge is pretty softspoken and has even been criticized for not being fiery enough. I'll be interested to hear from someone who was there.

Sounds like Rutledge needs to keep his mouth shut.

Like TBRD said, MBA had its chances...gotta move forward and get ready for a CPA team that has looked good in its first two games and will be hungry to take on the Big Red. MUS has had MBA's number lately, and the trend continued tonight.

One thing's for sure - it will be good to be home. After about 1,200-1,300 miles of bus travel the past two weeks, the Big Red will be looking forward to playing a game in Nashville.

Like TBRD said, MBA had its chances...gotta move forward and get ready for a CPA team that has looked good in its first two games and will be hungry to take on the Big Red. MUS has had MBA's number lately, and the trend continued tonight.

One thing's for sure - it will be good to be home. After about 1,200-1,300 miles of bus travel the past two weeks, the Big Red will be looking forward to playing a game in Nashville.

Sure hope the clock is working next Friday nite. Look forward to coming over and seeing the facilities for the the first time. Come up to the pressbox and say hey.

was at the game and it was frankly ugly. neither team has a gamebreaker so the defenses dominated. MUS won on a great catch over a defender that was in position to make a INT. The MBA defender fell down after the catch and it was run in for the winning TD. In the 2nd half MBA simply lost their composure. Multiple false starts and the coach's penalties at the end. I will say this, if given time to throw the MBA QB is a good passer and takes care of the football, but neither team has many weapons. When the two penalties happened they were on about the 30 and it was actually about 10 seconds left and it ran down to 7.8. Even with 10 seconds, they had no timeouts so they would have had to hit a sideline pattern or the clock would have run out.

MUS 10, MBA 7 Final.

was at the game and it was frankly ugly. neither team has a gamebreaker so the defenses dominated. MUS won on a great catch over a defender that was in position to make a INT. The MBA defender fell down after the catch and it was run in for the winning TD. In the 2nd half MBA simply lost their composure. Multiple false starts and the coach's penalties at the end. I will say this, if given time to throw the MBA QB is a good passer and takes care of the football, but neither team has many weapons. When the two penalties happened they were on about the 30 and it was actually about 10 seconds left and it ran down to 7.8. Even with 10 seconds, they had no timeouts so they would have had to hit a sideline pattern or the clock would have run out.

I listened to most of the game via the internet, and have two thoughts.

First, for someone at the game, were the two late penalties really justified? In nearly 40 years of following football, I've never seen two calls of that sort under those circumstances. Perhaps they were merited, but I've never seen it before.

Second, for my money, the game was lost on that sequence in the third quarter when MBA stopped MUS deep in MBA territory, and took three straight penalties, and had to punt from the end zone. That's a recipe for disaster, and suggests some pretty fundamental problems. I'm sure that'll be a topic for most of the week.

No joke the kid has thrown for nearly 500 yards in two game? How was he not the starter at MBA & why did he leave?

I was very impressed with this kid when I saw him at MBA...not surprised he left for a bunch of reasons....hope it works out well for him.

At the same time my heart goes out to David Howe...a great kid who has had a lot to deal with.....he deserves better than this his senior year....

MUS 10, MBA 7 Final.

I have seen problems with the same type of thing before out of the refs in Memphis. You talk about home cookin, the Memphis teams always gets it.