alcoas brandon warren, maryvilles thompson and stewart

ILuvsports

It is good to see that great players from little blount county are able to go out and compete on the national stage and do a great job. A lot of times people say that guys from this area are good players here but cant compete with the other players from around the country. Thompson has been impressive and competing for the backup role at south carolina and should have a chance to see some action this year.stewart has played in a bunch of games over the last few years at auburn and should be the tigers starting fullback this season.Warren has been beyond good for the seminoles so far this camp and will open up the season monday night at miami as florida states starting TE as a true fr., wearing jersey number 1. congrats and good luck to those players as well as other players from this are who are now playing college ball.

Article from fsu:

Whether it's been a scrimmage or the daily 11-on-11 passing drill, one of FSU's two freshmen tight ends, and sometimes both, have made at least one long reception in each of the last four practices. On Friday, it was Brandon Warren's turn.

During the short red zone segment of 11-on-11's, the tight end from Alcoa, Tennessee ran a crisp route, got separation from the safety and reeled in 12-yard touchdown pass from Drew Weatherford.

"Me and Drew hooked up for a nice touchdown," Warren told Warchant.com. "I was on a take-off route and the safety was cheating over and I'm told if he's cheating over I'm supposed to break my route in like a post. I broke in and Drew put it on the money and I caught it."

Friday's touchdown pass to a tight end was hardly an aberration. Since practices began on August 8th, there has been a concerted effort on the part of the offensive coaching staff to incorporate Warren and Caz Piurowski into the offense as more than just an additional blocker.

"They've been focusing on using the tight end a little more and I respect that a lot," Warren said. "It's only fair to me that I respond."

It's not just the coaching staff that is focusing on getting the tight ends more involved. The quarterbacks are going out of their way to look for tight end in the passing lanes and it's paying off. In Wednesday's scrimmage, Weatherford hooked up with Warren for a 17-yard gain that set up the first touchdown. We have put a lot of things in for the tight ends," Weatherford added. "We know the type of potential they are going to have not only this year but in the years upcoming. We are trying to utilize them a little bit more and because of that we have plays designed that go to them. I have a lot of faith in the young guys we have, Caz and Brandon, and they are out there making plays."

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stewart has to get past Kenny Irons to be the #1 TB. He should still see the field a lot though.

I have been following these kids and all three are doing well.

I am watching the SC vs. MSU game right now and after Blake Mitchell went down in the first Qtr, I thought Cade would get in the game. I knew the Freshman Smelly was doing better, but thought in no way he knew the O like Cade would. I was wrong but Smelly did not look that good. I think Cade will get some snaps and Mitchel has never stayed healthy for a season.

Brandon Warren I thought for sure he would red shirt, but has competed well for the starting TE job for FSU. His primary compention is a kids who is 6-7 and a pretty good player. I think Warren will be the back up for the opener, but I bet by the middle season he is the starter.

Carl Stewart will probley start at FB. I think his days as a tail back are over. THe has bulked up now listed as 6-2 224 where last year was 210. I think he'll do well

I am watching the SC vs. MSU game right now and after Blake Mitchell went down in the first Qtr, I thought Cade would get in the game. I knew the Freshman Smelly was doing better, but thought in no way he knew the O like Cade would. I was wrong but Smelly did not look that good. I think Cade will get some snaps and Mitchel has never stayed healthy for a season.

Brandon Warren I thought for sure he would red shirt, but has competed well for the starting TE job for FSU. His primary compention is a kids who is 6-7 and a pretty good player. I think Warren will be the back up for the opener, but I bet by the middle season he is the starter.

Carl Stewart will probley start at FB. I think his days as a tail back are over. THe has bulked up now listed as 6-2 224 where last year was 210. I think he'll do well

stewart is definitly going to start at FB against WSU this Sat. and is listed as the 4th string TB, so ya not much at TB..

stewart is definitly going to start at FB against WSU this Sat. and is listed as the 4th string TB, so ya not much at TB..

Bobby Bowden, OC jeff bowden and TE's coach john lilly have announced that warren and the other true fr. TE Caz puriouski will split all the reps at TE during mondays miami game, with both of them being in on double tight sets. one of those two will start because the one scholarship TE they had returning has been out with an injury and wont be back, so the TE position will be in the hands of two very talented freshman against miami.

I'm happy to see that you've had a change of heart about Brandon-that's a far cry from saying that he won't play a down of D1 ball...

Edited by alcoafan72

I'm happy to see that you've had a change of heart about Brandon-that's a far cry from saying that he won't play a down of D1 ball...

Well I was wrong! He is in the right place at the right time because the upper classman is injured. Without question FSU is thin at that position this year because if BW was my son I would want him to Red Shirt because it would give him or most athletes a chance to better develop and maybe have an opportunity to make it to the next level and get paid for playing a kids game on Sunday.

I still don't think BW is a Top D1 player and let's see if he can stay out of trouble.

He has the size and speed for sure but still has along way to go. He is young enough and has time to improve.

He has a great opportunity this Monday to earn the top spot on the depth chart and I will enjoy watching a local kid play Monday night and cheer every pass or quality block he puts on Miami!

Hey and let’s not forget Alex Rouse over there at Carson-Newman who yesterday co-lead them to a huge victory throwing a TD pass and getting one on the ground. I love to see the local kids do well because there are many more who could give the opportunity.

I don't mind being wrong, it does not hurt and builds charioteer in a man.

Well I was wrong! He is in the right place at the right time because the upper classman is injured. Without question FSU is thin at that position this year because if BW was my son I would want him to Red Shirt because it would give him or most athletes a chance to better develop and maybe have an opportunity to make it to the next level and get paid for playing a kids game on Sunday.

I still don't think BW is a Top D1 player and let's see if he can stay out of trouble.

He has the size and speed for sure but still has along way to go. He is young enough and has time to improve.

He has a great opportunity this Monday to earn the top spot on the depth chart and I will enjoy watching a local kid play Monday night and cheer every pass or quality block he puts on Miami!

Hey and let’s not forget Alex Rouse over there at Carson-Newman who yesterday co-lead them to a huge victory throwing a TD pass and getting one on the ground. I love to see the local kids do well because there are many more who could give the opportunity.

I don't mind being wrong, it does not hurt and builds charioteer in a man.

You have proven yourself a gentleman sir-maybe when I get back home I could buy you cup of coffee and we can shake hands as two gentlemen who love high school football our respective teams and blount county..........

Edited by alcoafan72

I doubt FBE was talking about the ability of BW when he stated "he wouldn't play a down of D1". Brandon Warren is one of the better athletes to ever come out of Blount County plus his effort when the whislte blows is outstanding.....no plays taken off by this kid. Per his coaches he almost didn't make it though. Alcoa needs to do something about their athletes and academics. IMO it's a little embarrassing to the school for so many of their athletes to struggle or not qualifying when great opportunities present themself. We know these kids are not dumb.