Question

WesVLT

HTV, If this did occur in a clasroom full of students, then it seems to me that Coach Fulkerson needs to learn to keep his mouth shut or at the least be careful of what he says to certain people. With Lindsays track record, I say hire Mr. Isaacs and take your chances. The worse part of the entire situation is that the football players at Karns are without their coach and very well could be for an extended period of time. Not a good situation. In addition, the Karns/Powell connection is a real stretch. Sounds like someone just out there fishing. Of course we should never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Edited by papatj

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HTV, If this did occur in a clasroom full of students, then it seems to me that Coach Fulkerson needs to learn to keep his mouth shut or at the least be careful of what he says to certain people. With Lindsays track record, I say hire Mr. Isaacs and take your chances. The worse part of the entire situation is that the football players at Karns are without their coach and very well could be for an extended period of time. Not a good situation. In addition, the Karns/Powell connection is a real stretch. Sounds like someone just out there fishing. Of course we should never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

My son played for Coach Fulkerson for 2 years. He is a solid coach and has helped the program gain some respectability. He is not a smoothe talker. He can be blunt, and is not someone that worries about being politically correct. IMHO, Karns Admin and Knox county need to either realize and accept this, or cut him loose because I don't think this 50 year old football coach is going to change his personality anytime soon. It is sad, because it seems like those that do not like him are looking for opportunies to hang him.

Crystal and papatj, I agree with you both. Having talked to Fulkerson a few times, he is not the politically correct type. I'm not, either, so I don't find fault with him on that basis. What does seem puzzling to me is that he knew that he was out of last chances. There comes a time that you have to learn how to control yourself when you know that you can't screw up again.

His students and football players are the real losers here. No matter what one thought of him personally, i've been told that most of his players liked and respected him.

Yeah, that Karns/Powell connection thing went way over my head, too, Rob. The only remote connection is that Diane Pshiogios was the principal at Karns 2 years ago and hired Fulkerson, but that's quite a stretch.

From what I am told, Lindsey is going to need a good lawyer, but I hope that we as Knox County taxpayers don't get stuck with the bill. Lindsey badly bungled the investigation in to the Powell assistant principal situation and he didn't even bother to be sure that the correct legal guidelines were followed. It is getting more and more clear with each passing day that Lindsey is not qualified to serve as our school superintendent.

Of course, i'm for, and have been all along, an elected and not appointed school superintendent. As it is now, he only has to be accountable to enough school board members to keep him in his position. That has taken the voters/citizens almost completely out of the process of deciding who is running our school system.

HTV, I have said since he was hired that Lindsey would do nothing but drive this school system into the ground. I wonder how many Knox County residents realize the reason he got ran out of the Montgomery County school system and why he was not even a top 5 pick for the Hamilton County job this past year?

As bad as this is gonna sound... I actually agree with HTV on this one.

Edited by reddevilfever

HTV, I have said since he was hired that Lindsey would do nothing but drive this school system into the ground. I wonder how many Knox County residents realize the reason he got ran out of the Montgomery County school system and why he was not even a top 5 pick for the Hamilton County job this past year?

As bad as this is gonna sound... I actually agree with HTV on this one.

RDF, we probably agree on a lot more things than either of us realizes. That's scary, isn't it? :thumb:

The thing with Lindsey that has caught my attention is the number of other jobs he has applied for, many of them latteral moves, since he's been the superintendent here. If he's not happy in Knox County he needs to find somewhere else to be. There is an old saying that goes something like "an unhappy employee is a bad employee". I see Lindsey as both.

By the way, you are going to come up and introduce yourself when Halls comes to Powell, aren't you? I'd like to meet you.

Well another Knox Co coach bites the dust. I know one of the current administrators at Karns very well and I'm sure that he is upset over the situation. I do not know Coach Fulkerson but it is sad that when you start doing things that are not politically correct then you are going to be gone. I have seen this before. Also, when you start moving administrators around then the people who get hurt are the ones who got hired by the previous and then most importantly students and ball players. Sorry Karns I saw this happen somewhere else a few years ago.

Crystal and papatj, I agree with you both. Having talked to Fulkerson a few times, he is not the politically correct type. I'm not, either, so I don't find fault with him on that basis. What does seem puzzling to me is that he knew that he was out of last chances. There comes a time that you have to learn how to control yourself when you know that you can't screw up again.

His students and football players are the real losers here. No matter what one thought of him personally, i've been told that most of his players liked and respected him.

HTV, I see your point but I am not sure what Fulkerson could change to suit those who did not like him. He is a plain talking, tobacco chewing, old football coach. His players love him and play hard for him. I am sure that he is oblivious to what he is saying that is even offending these individuals. The guy can be sarcastic and tells it like it is. I am not sure he can turn it on and off. I spent many afternoons observing practice and I never heard him curse or belittle a player. He can be animated and will let you know what he thinks of your effort. I am guessing that Knox County is pandering to the few "sensitive souls" roaming the halls at Karns.

I hate to see this happen. I don't know Coach Fulkerson but do remember him from years ago when he coached at Sequatchie County and they came down and played against Smith County in the play-offs. He was running the wishbone back then and was very physical. It seems like those types of coaches are becoming dinosaurs and the touchy feely type are taking over. Wish him and Karns the very best and only hope that the people who do things like take a coach out during the season realize that they are effecting many people to simply make a few happy.

HTV - you are right talking about school superintendents, that is a political issue that should be changed. Thing is it probably will take at least 4 more years to get that moved back where voters decide who runs the school system and they quit letting 4 or 5 choose the fate of many

HTV, I see your point but I am not sure what Fulkerson could change to suit those who did not like him. He is a plain talking, tobacco chewing, old football coach. His players love him and play hard for him. I am sure that he is oblivious to what he is saying that is even offending these individuals. The guy can be sarcastic and tells it like it is. I am not sure he can turn it on and off. I spent many afternoons observing practice and I never heard him curse or belittle a player. He can be animated and will let you know what he thinks of your effort. I am guessing that Knox County is pandering to the few "sensitive souls" roaming the halls at Karns.

I don't dissagree with you. It's hard to change, but I wish he could have so this situation could have been avoided.

Like I said, most whom I have talked with who had a son play for him liked him very much.

That is the part that looks unfair. I do not know what allegedly happened but I do know that he must be guilty until proven innocent. It seems that someone had an agenda and has now got their agenda and voice heard. I am totally for taking care of our children but have a real problem with people who do not know the difference between discipline and abuse and also people whose children never do anything wrong. It has to be someone else's fault. To quote Coach Fulkerson "read your Bible"