Powell vs. Halls

Drega06

LOL, now why dont you like michigan.

OHHH yeah, I saw my Duckies are comming to Tennessee in 2009, I will be at that game if its the last thing I do in my life. SOrry a little rambling there.

I think Mcgaha should join the marshall crew with all the other knoxville guys heading there

Yeah, Marshall should just change their name to the Knoxville Stars

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like David coming into Goliath's territory to play. Bruhin,Magaha are monsters. I just can't see us matching up well with Powell this week unless we get to the corners and open up the field. Our defense will be hard pressed to stop Cruze and Huffaker running the ball. With that said I am watching with great interest the line play of our young defense in the last few games and hope they can carry out their toughest assignment to date. Both Leonard boys have been playing very well the past three games .I think our secondary has come together and the missing link in Waggoner & Turner have given our Devils more speed and cover to match up against passing formations. Linebackers have seen the biggest improvement Hodge,Dutton,Kelley and Carr are forming a good partnership. Moreland was all over the place the other night and if it wasn't for O'kicker hitting that 56 yarder he should have been the player of the game. All eyes will be on the Halls defense if they can slow down Powells impressive running game it may be a closer game than people think. :lol:

Thats what makes me sad about powell, YOu have 2 d1 prospects in Mcgaha and Bruhin, Plus cruze who could go to college, yet they cant beat a good team

I kinda thought Farragut was a good team.

I am not trying to get warm and fuzzy with Powell during Powell week but, Powell's program isn't doing bad. I know that your youth football program is up. I heard you guys had almost 80 kids in the 13-14 age group alone. That is double what Halls had. Times have been better at both schools, but I have also seen times worse with no end in sight.

I am looking forward to the game this week. Great rivalry.

Is there any plans for you guys getting a new stadium. You guys are kind of land locked I guess with the creek. But man that place is small.

I kinda thought Farragut was a good team.

I am not trying to get warm and fuzzy with Powell during Powell week but, Powell's program isn't doing bad. I know that your youth football program is up. I heard you guys had almost 80 kids in the 13-14 age group alone. That is double what Halls had. Times have been better at both schools, but I have also seen times worse with no end in sight.

I am looking forward to the game this week. Great rivalry.

Is there any plans for you guys getting a new stadium. You guys are kind of land locked I guess with the creek. But man that place is small.

Interesting that you mention the idea of a new stadium. There are 2 ideas on the table, one of which is about as impossible as it could get. The plan is to add seats in both endzones (like Clinton) over the next season or 2. There is room to do this, and that's what is supposedly going to happen. Obviously, that stadium is much too small for the size of the school and the draw for Powell football games. The other 'crazy' idea that has been mentioned was to build a new stadium at the defunct Powell airport, but that's just not going to happen. I would love to see them build a stadium there, but it would never happen. The school is simply sandwiched between the floodplain and the railroad, and there isn't much that can be done.

Divercity, I can only hope that Coach Lowe is sandbagging, but I doubt it. If this team makes the playoffs, he may pull out all the stops, but he wouldn't in this game, with 3 more games left. Regardless of the outcome Friday, one of these 2 teams will probably have to play Cleveland in the 1st round of the playoffs, so some trickeration would definitely be in the cards against a revamped blue raider team.

Interesting that you mention the idea of a new stadium. There are 2 ideas on the table, one of which is about as impossible as it could get. The plan is to add seats in both endzones (like Clinton) over the next season or 2. There is room to do this, and that's what is supposedly going to happen. Obviously, that stadium is much too small for the size of the school and the draw for Powell football games. The other 'crazy' idea that has been mentioned was to build a new stadium at the defunct Powell airport, but that's just not going to happen. I would love to see them build a stadium there, but it would never happen. The school is simply sandwiched between the floodplain and the railroad, and there isn't much that can be done.

Divercity, I can only hope that Coach Lowe is sandbagging, but I doubt it. If this team makes the playoffs, he may pull out all the stops, but he wouldn't in this game, with 3 more games left. Regardless of the outcome Friday, one of these 2 teams will probably have to play Cleveland in the 1st round of the playoffs, so some trickeration would definitely be in the cards against a revamped blue raider team.

That's the first i've heard of even a mention of the airport site. That just somebody spouting off. That property is on the market and the asking price is way more than anybody could come up with. It is prime commercial property with major interstate access. It will likely end up being purchased and developed by a large national corporation.

The stadium replacement lays squarely in the hands of Knox County. One of the first things I did when my tenure as the booster club president started 4 years ago (i'm no longer in that capacity) was to go to the capital improvement office of Knox County Schools to find out where we were on the list to replace the stadium. At the time I was told that we were "near" the top, but that was before the fiasco at Carter happened and they had to replace their new stadium not once, but twice, and before South-Doyle had its stadium problems and vaulted ahead of us, too. Since then, Farragut has allegedly moved ahead of us on that list because of structural problems with their stadium, and now the new Hardin Valley School looks to have pushed us down the list even further. I've been told recently that we shouln't expect anything on our stadium in "the next few years".

The bottom like is that Powell is landlocked. There is no place to build anything new at the school, structurally or otherwise. The only options are to wait on Knox County to replace the current stadium, or raise the money to build a new community owned stadium off site somewhere. The latter option is just not likely to happen, as you say. In gathering preliminary information a couple of years ago, the estimated cost of building a new stadium would have been over $5 million, just for the stadium, and that was before construction material cost skyrocketed after Hurricane Katrina. That doesn't even count the cost of property itself, which with the way property values are increasing in our part of the county, would likely be at least half of that figure or more again. There is just no way a community our size can raise that kind of money.

So, as I said, nothing is going to happen until Knox County sees fit to do so. There are some preliminary plans to build new concessions and restroom facilities, and there is hope for a new football fieldhouse, but nothing major on the seating area of the stadium itself.

Edited by HTV

That's the first i've heard of even a mention of the airport site. That just somebody spouting off. That property is on the market and the asking price is way more than anybody could come up with. It is prime commercial property with major interstate access. It will likely end up being purchased and developed by a large national corporation.

The stadium replacement lays squarely in the hands of Knox County. One of the first things I did when my tenure as the booster club president started 4 years ago (i'm no longer in that capacity) was to go to the capital improvement office of Knox County Schools to find out where we were on the list to replace the stadium. At the time I was told that we were "near" the top, but that was before the fiasco at Carter happened and they had to replace their new stadium not once, but twice, and before South-Doyle had its stadium problems and vaulted ahead of us, too. Since then, Farragut has allegedly moved ahead of us on that list because of structural problems with their stadium, and now the new Hardin Valley School looks to have pushed us down the list even further. I've been told recently that we shouln't expect anything on our stadium in "the next few years".

The bottom like is that Powell is landlocked. There is no place to build anything new at the school, structurally or otherwise. The only options are to wait on Knox County to replace the current stadium, or raise the money to build a new community owned stadium off site somewhere. The latter option is just not likely to happen, as you say. In gathering preliminary information a couple of years ago, the estimated cost of building a new stadium would have been over $5 million, just for the stadium, and that was before construction material cost skyrocketed after Hurricane Katrina. That doesn't even count the cost of property itself, which with the way property values are increasing in our part of the county, would likely be at least half of that figure or more again. There is just no way a community our size can raise that kind of money.

So, as I said, nothing is going to happen until Knox County sees fit to do so. There are some preliminary plans to build new concessions and restroom facilities, and there is hope for a new football fieldhouse, but nothing major on the seating area of the stadium itself.

Really the only way that Powell can add more seats is to tear down the old stands and build newer ones and make them bigger and wider...sorta like how central has their stadium. One other possibility is to put stands in the endzones. Theres no way Powell can add stands on the other side of the field unless they want to rebuild the softball stadium too.

2 questions for my daily readers. First, will This game live up to the Hype of the past years games? Second, is anyone hurt on either teams? :thumb:

Reddevilfever, Slowly but surely I havent forgotton about u , I talked to one of the coaches today and he is getting me a program!

Edited by ProVol90