Maryville Football!

kobayashi

Maryville has benefited from transfers. Aaron Douglas,Brent Burnett,Travis Carpenter and Tyler Clendenen's families moved to Maryville from Knoxville. Landon Hall's family moved from Louisianna 4 years ago. Tim Rodrigues moved from Virginia.

Maryville has also lost kids. TJ Franklin is a beast at Catholic. He is a D1 prospect. He played at Maryville Middle School.

I figured it out yesterday. Maryville's offensive line averages 212lbs a man. Boy that is huge. :thumb: Those kids are tough as nails though. This friday they will go up against guys who will outweigh them by an average of 80lbs. Powell is always much bigger than Maryville.

Here is a question for people who accuse Maryville of recruiting. If Maryville has recruited for years how come they went 20 years without a championship? How come they had a bunch of 5-5 seasons? 1989,1990,1993 and 1996 MHS goes 5-5. MHS didn't go to the playoffs in 1980,1983,1985,1988,1989,1990,1991,1993 and 1996. MHS went one and done in 1987,1992 and 1994. Those teams had tuition students. There wasn't no bitching about tuition students then.

I want all you people to read this. 99.9% of the reason why Maryville wins is because of their great coaching staff. Success breeds success. Kids want to be part of a winner. Those kids at Maryville are willing to sacrafice to be a winner. They are willing to pay the price.Those kids hardly miss a workout. Something has to happen for them to miss. I know some of the parents of a Rebel Football player. They will all take their vacation when the dead period is in effect because they don't want their son to miss a workout. To those kids 15-0 is the goal every year. Anything short of a state title isn't good enough. That is the mindset those Maryville players have. Those boys are commited to excellence. MHS has won championships every year since 1998 except for 1999 and 2003. My nephew quarterbacked the 99 team. I will tell you it bothers him to this day that Maryville didn't win a championship his senior year. I talked to a few kids that were seniors from the 2003 team. They feel the same way.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maryville has benefited from transfers. Aaron Douglas,Brent Burnett,Travis Carpenter and Tyler Clendenen's families moved to Maryville from Knoxville. Landon Hall's family moved from Louisianna 4 years ago. Tim Rodrigues moved from Virginia.

I want all you people to read this. 99.9% of the reason why Maryville wins is because of their great coaching staff. Success breeds success. Kids want to be part of a winner. Those kids at Maryville are willing to sacrafice to be a winner. They are willing to pay the price.Those kids hardly miss a workout. Something has to happen for them to miss. I know some of the parents of a Rebel Football player. They will all take their vacation when the dead period is in effect because they don't want their son to miss a workout. To those kids 15-0 is the goal every year. Anything short of a state title isn't good enough. That is the mindset those Maryville players have. Those boys are commited to excellence. MHS has won championships every year since 1998 except for 1999 and 2003. My nephew quarterbacked the 99 team. I will tell you it bothers him to this day that Maryville didn't win a championship his senior year. I talked to a few kids that were seniors from the 2003 team. They feel the same way.

Scarifice what sacrifice....sounds like to me these kids are spoiled with rich families willing to give them whatever they want. You know its not a bad thing for a kid not to lose and learn the actual struggles of life instead to have everything handed to them. Its builds character and motivates them to be better, not just everything handed to them. Where the pride in that.

What kind of sacrifice is it for these kids to play one quarter and out because they are up 24 pts and then there fresh for next week. Thats a big sacrifice right there. It may sound like sour grapes and maybe it is to a point but that doesnt make it right. The bottom line is if your kid has to be on a winning team and dont want to lose then play and work harder not go to a school where they could win with there 3rd string. Gimme a break.

I don't know if it's huge. In my mind the distinction is between a move that's not primarily motivated by athletics and one that is. If the motivation is to play football, there are all kinds of ways to make it happen for all but the poorest families. In the case I'm personally familiar with, property was purchased and there was a move, but the reason was for the kid to play at Maryville. Again, I'm not against that, even though it clearly hurt the team I root for.

Agreed. Its not at all a transfer.

So one of the Maryville qbs "transfered" to Maryville, from Halls, by virtue of his family building and living in a house in their city. But if he left Halls and now lived in another state it would have been a "move"?

If a student wants to go to Knox Central instead of Gibbs its a transfer if approved? Isn't this possible if the student "needs" to take French III or maybe Art IV? Because Central offers the class but Gibbs does not? You could actually pick up a football player that way!

Agreed. Its not at all a transfer.

So one of the Maryville qbs "transfered" to Maryville, from Halls, by virtue of his family building and living in a house in their city. But if he left Halls and now lived in another state it would have been a "move"?

If a student wants to go to Knox Central instead of Gibbs its a transfer if approved? Isn't this possible if the student "needs" to take French III or maybe Art IV? Because Central offers the class but Gibbs does not? You could actually pick up a football player that way!

Boy if this is not an example of playing with the rules then I dont know what is. Ill give you guys credit MHS you sure know how to bend things to make your self look good. Must be alot of lawyers living in the area. LOL :thumb:

Boy if this is not an example of playing with the rules then I dont know what is. Ill give you guys credit MHS you sure know how to bend things to make your self look good. Must be alot of lawyers living in the area. LOL :thumb:

What are you yappin about? I asked those questions and have not even "transferred" to Maryville.

Edited by 3

Whether to play football, baseball, basketball or any other sport Oak Ridge, Central, Powell, Alcoa, Fulton, Farragut, Maryville, Halls have all benefitted from kids moving or transferring into their school. Unfortunately, when any school, (like a Maryville in football or a Farragut in baseball for example), enjoys the success they have had theres always going to be a minority of folks who will make negative accusations. Bottomline, success breeds success!

Scarifice what sacrifice....sounds like to me these kids are spoiled with rich families willing to give them whatever they want. You know its not a bad thing for a kid not to lose and learn the actual struggles of life instead to have everything handed to them. Its builds character and motivates them to be better, not just everything handed to them. Where the pride in that.

What kind of sacrifice is it for these kids to play one quarter and out because they are up 24 pts and then there fresh for next week. Thats a big sacrifice right there. It may sound like sour grapes and maybe it is to a point but that doesnt make it right. The bottom line is if your kid has to be on a winning team and dont want to lose then play and work harder not go to a school where they could win with there 3rd string. Gimme a break.

Does your school's players go to 5:30 AM workouts? Does your schools players throw at least 3-4 days a week? Your post is full of sour grapes.

Spoiled rich kids? I know a kid who was a senior last year. He is anything but rich. His mom died when he was little. His dad hardly comes around. He lives with his grandparents. He was a 3 year starter.

I am just a HS football fan. Not one of the regular posters of MHS football. But I can tell you this coaching staff has built a football dynasty. They have all of the elements in place for this to continue; good feeder program, outstanding coaches, great support, transfers(prospects are going to want to be a part of this), and a winning tradition.

I would like to see MHS play a regional powerhouse each year. I think they would win.

This is the best HS football program in Tennessee in any classification. No Question!

so why did u make this a topic ????? no point

Edited by SCN08FearTheSpear

oh my bad i just realized that maryville according to you has had every state championship in the last six years handed to them without competiiton. And the first team goes out early because they are dominating and GQ wants to get his players ready for next year.

The recruiting accusations go back a long way and have never been substantiated that I've ever heard or read.

There was a big kid who played in the line 30+ years ago whose family paid tuition for him to go to MHS after 7-8 years at county schools. He started 3 years and played (never started) for Vandy. As a matter of fact, he also attended kindergarten inside the Maryville City Limits -- at a place on Lawrence Avenue less than a football field away from the high school. He could've gotten into Vandy on his grades and SAT score alone, football aside. I can tell you this for a fact because we were buddies when we were barely out of the playpen. His little brother attended MHS and now one or more of the next generation have gone to MHS. It wasn't solely for the football (whether or not anybody "recruited" them) in the case of the boys I knew and I bet the same goes for their kids.

There was a Townsend kid on the same team who paid tuition to come to Maryville. He mostly rode the bench as a receiver, but had some notable -- in one case game-breaking -- catches his senior year. Was he a recruit? For a few catches? I don't think so. There was a girl in the same class from Townsend. She was a majorette. I wonder if she was recruited.

As for academics, my cousin and his wife moved to Maryville to take care of my grandmother at the end of her life. Their kids were little when she died and they could have gone anywhere they wanted to live. His wife had a thriving business that was centered on Chattanooga. They stayed in Maryville for one main reason: the quality of the schools, pre-k through high school. Neither kid plays football or any other school-sanctioned sport.

Show me a football star whose tuition was waived. Show me a football star whose family got a job or a discounted house to lure them to Maryville. Then I'll start thinking there might be something worth investigating. Absent credible evidence of those kind of circumstances, and given the other, much stronger reasons for a family to choose Maryville to school its children, I can't see any reason to believe these recruiting accusations -- especially when they're made in such hostile terms.

Maryville has the team it has because of their coach and dedicated players. Recruiting allegations without evidence to back it up is basically pointless. I never went to maryville, I actually went to Alcoa but I cheer Maryville on in every game they play except for the Alcoa game. Success will always bring allegations of recruiting it seems. People would hate to think that a team other than theirs winning is doing by means such as working harder and longer than others. It may be easier for football fanatic to cope with a team less than maryville by justifying it in his head as maryville cheating. Fact is Maryville outworks opponents, and if Maryville faces an equally athletic and talented opponent Quarles outcoaches them. If I were zoned in an area and had to choose between going to a county school for free or going to maryville I would choose maryville. Why? Academics, they are far better than the county schools and a student wanting better college prep would choose maryville. The same could be said for Alcoa also, they have good academics and well paid teachers who are very good at their jobs. Lets look at another successful school, Oak Ridge, once again superior academics. Yes some may go to Maryville or Alcoa to play football, that is a possibility, but unless a coach is bringing them in it is not recruiting.

But in all honesty, recruiting does happen in these schools. It is a known fact that some colleges take interest in the players Maryville produce. In fact I would assume quite a bit of recruiting occured before Maples chose UT. Talent+Hard Work+Coaching and discipline= WINNING TRADITIONS. Maryville is a dynasty that any kid would love to play for. But Quarles need not recruit, he can coach any team to play beyond their ability. That is why Maryville football is what it is. I hope the best for Maryville and Alcoa for this year, and the same to Heritage and William Blount. But as for recruiting lets look at the evidence. Wait, what evidence. Here is how I see it, either they win by working harder, which we know they do, dedicated coaches/players, discipline, and motivation, all which we know to be true, or they win by recruiting, which has no substantiating evidence. it doesn't take a genious to figure this one out.

You know nothing and it is obvious. This will be my last denial , you pick the #.your conclusion in this matter go hand in hand with the other ones. no credibility is the bottom line in your case and I am sorry for you.In the end your accusation are fantasy at best. The rest of your post is pure ignorance and I will have to end for good my response on your spewed venom. if you cannot get help here get help somewhere.