Crockett County vs. Bolivar

crockettfan

If Perry would worry more about coaching his team instead of what crockett's doin he might keep his team competitive in their games. hate to say it but crockett takes it by 3 tds

Yeah...I was at the Lexington game and I know what you're talking about. You wonder what (if anything) is going through that head of his. I believe Crocket County will recognize the fact that Bolivar has talent...but this one will get out of hand early.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I attended the Crockett Dyersburg game friday night and i will have to say that Bolivar doesn't have much of a chance. Crockett is good, but i'm not sure that they are good enough to go all the way. I mean no disrespect so don't take it that way but there were a few things that i observed friday. If Crockett plays a team that runs a wide open 4 reciever offense, it will be hard for the Cavs to stop because of the 5-3 defense they run, no Dyersburgs offense doesn't count because the quarterback couldn't throw a complete pass over 10 yards, I am talking about a "real" passing team. I also feel that there were times when the playcalling was questionable for Crockett. When Dyersburg had a little momentum and Crockett needed to use clock and gain yards, they ran two consecutive plays to Ron Johnson, who is the 3rd best back on the team. Also when Crockett had second and like 25, instead of trying to get a little each down, they threw two deep balls on the same play consecutive times. Crockett is a good team don't get me wrong, i am just trying to point out some flaws that it wouldn't be suprising to see someone take advantage of.

Just so you all know, I was totally neutral friday night, i was slightly pulling for Crockett cause i know a lot of people who went to school there as well as used to play against them.

Just the same, good luck to Crockett, hope you can stay injury free and we'll see how good you really are come November.

I attended the Crockett Dyersburg game friday night and i will have to say that Bolivar doesn't have much of a chance. Crockett is good, but i'm not sure that they are good enough to go all the way. I mean no disrespect so don't take it that way but there were a few things that i observed friday. If Crockett plays a team that runs a wide open 4 reciever offense, it will be hard for the Cavs to stop because of the 5-3 defense they run, no Dyersburgs offense doesn't count because the quarterback couldn't throw a complete pass over 10 yards, I am talking about a "real" passing team. I also feel that there were times when the playcalling was questionable for Crockett. When Dyersburg had a little momentum and Crockett needed to use clock and gain yards, they ran two consecutive plays to Ron Johnson, who is the 3rd best back on the team. Also when Crockett had second and like 25, instead of trying to get a little each down, they threw two deep balls on the same play consecutive times. Crockett is a good team don't get me wrong, i am just trying to point out some flaws that it wouldn't be suprising to see someone take advantage of.

Just so you all know, I was totally neutral friday night, i was slightly pulling for Crockett cause i know a lot of people who went to school there as well as used to play against them.

Just the same, good luck to Crockett, hope you can stay injury free and we'll see how good you really are come November.

Some good points here, but I will counter with a couple of comments.

-We won't run a 5-3 defense against a legitimate passing team. There will be adjustments.

-Ron Johnson was the number #2 back behind Perry last year and coming into this year. He and Shaun are more like #2 and #2a- it's not really fair to differntiate because they are nearly identical insize, style, and speed.

-Yeah, two deep balls is kind of unusual on 2nd and 25 for Crockett, but PA is often considered overly conservative. I don't know the thinking on the play calls personally, but I would guess the surprise element was a factor, as well as the fact that we had several big plays in the night already.

-Whether or not Crockett makes it all the way to the finals, who knows? What team could they run into before the finals that has a true passing attack? (Are any of the Region 5 teams a pass-first offensive style?)

I think this poster should leave the coaching to PA. Where do people get the arrogance to do a critique of teams' offensive and defensive gameplans after seeing one game? Do these people not know that P. A. Pratt and James Counce, the two head coaches from Friday night, know the players just a bit better than the commentator, have been with them for two years or more, have spent the week preparing what they intend to do. What arrogance! Does the poster think that PA Pratt would line up in a 5-3 against a team with 4 wide receivers? Would any coach do that? Does the poster know that Crockett County has used a 4-3 earlier in the year?

I am sure that Coach Pratt will appreciate the poster pointing out the "flaws" in his gameplan.

I hope this poster is not from the 6 3-A region. I am not sure that many people know of the politics which came into play when the TSSAA redrew regional lines two years ago. There were 14 3-A sized schools from which to create two regions.

What happened? Dyersburg, Crockett County, Obion Central, Dyer County, Covington, Ripley and Haywood went into one region (7 3-A), making it one of the

strongest in the state--22 wins and 5 losses outside the region last year. Who went into 6-A? Bolivar, McNairy Central, Chester County, Liberty, Lexington, Jackson Southside and Fayette-Ware. Lexington was last year's paper tiger, a fact which was exposed as soon as they got out of regional competition. Last year, this region had a losing record playing outside their region, and they do again this year.

This is not a complaint. I am very happy with the alignment. Our Region 7 has good teams, natural rivalries and some top-notch football.

Which doesn't mean, of course, that our coaches aren't always glad to have coaching tips from outside "experts."

Nice post. I think we have always been a little vulnerable to a pass happy "fun and gun" style attack, and i very sharply remember ty evans of lexington hitting several deep balls against us a couple of years ago in a loss. However, I agree with crockettfan in that there is really no one in our region who runs that spread set enough to really be efficient at it. Once we get to the memphis teams in the postseason...who knows? I also believe that if we were to run up on a mckenzie style team we might back someone out into a 4-4 or even a 4-3 which i believe we showed against obion week 2. But i certainly see the point.

As for the playcalling when chewing up the clock...I also thought that was what jarvis perry and his 235 or so pounds were for. Not sure if coach was going for the element of surprise or trying to deliver a knockout blow or what.

Thanks for the comments and your well wishes.

Lexington was last year's paper tiger, a fact which was exposed as soon as they got out of regional competition. Last year, this region had a losing record playing outside their region, and they do again this year.

This is not a complaint. I am very happy with the alignment. Our Region 7 has good teams, natural rivalries and some top-notch football.

Which doesn't mean, of course, that our coaches aren't always glad to have coaching tips from outside "experts."

Whoa, I know this is the Crockett County/Bolivar thread, but i have to defend Lexington on here. Paper Tigers? Lexington beat everybody on their schedule until they got to DL in the quarterfinals. A game in whinch their best player (a player now starting as a freshmen in college) went out in the 2nd quarter, and a game in which the starting QB played 1 series. They even beat that 2-8 Sheffield team that put out Dyersburg in the first round. Now if the Tigers where paper, then what were the Trojans?

All that being said, region 7 does have the better teams. But, why hate on a region 6 team for having a great year.

Edited by montague1

I think this poster should leave the coaching to PA. Where do people get the arrogance to do a critique of teams' offensive and defensive gameplans after seeing one game? Do these people not know that P. A. Pratt and James Counce, the two head coaches from Friday night, know the players just a bit better than the commentator, have been with them for two years or more, have spent the week preparing what they intend to do. What arrogance! Does the poster think that PA Pratt would line up in a 5-3 against a team with 4 wide receivers? Would any coach do that? Does the poster know that Crockett County has used a 4-3 earlier in the year?

I am sure that Coach Pratt will appreciate the poster pointing out the "flaws" in his gameplan.

I hope this poster is not from the 6 3-A region. I am not sure that many people know of the politics which came into play when the TSSAA redrew regional lines two years ago. There were 14 3-A sized schools from which to create two regions.

What happened? Dyersburg, Crockett County, Obion Central, Dyer County, Covington, Ripley and Haywood went into one region (7 3-A), making it one of the

strongest in the state--22 wins and 5 losses outside the region last year. Who went into 6-A? Bolivar, McNairy Central, Chester County, Liberty, Lexington, Jackson Southside and Fayette-Ware. Lexington was last year's paper tiger, a fact which was exposed as soon as they got out of regional competition. Last year, this region had a losing record playing outside their region, and they do again this year.

Did you see Lexington play last year? Were you at their only loss of the season? Do you know their best player went down in the first half and the lack of depth is what really hurt them? And how would you propose redrawing those region lines? Swapping Crockett for FW is about the only logical argument you can make, unless you want to make the overall most logical and group FW in Region 8.

And you call others arrogant?

Edit -

Please, oh please, tell me how geographically outside the above I have mentioned that the regional allignments do not make sense. Here is the TSSAA allignment map to help you out.

http://www.tssaa.org/Classifications/class...0&report=DA

Edited by Solomon

Did you see Lexington play last year? Were you at their only loss of the season? Do you know their best player went down in the first half and the lack of depth is what really hurt them? And how would you propose redrawing those region lines? Swapping Crockett for FW is about the only logical argument you can make, unless you want to make the overall most logical and group FW in Region 8.

And you call others arrogant?

Edit -

Please, oh please, tell me how geographically outside the above I have mentioned that the regional allignments do not make sense. Here is the TSSAA allignment map to help you out.

http://www.tssaa.org/Classifications/class...0&report=DA

Please point out anything which I posted which was arrogant, since you have such a good view of West Tennessee football from Knoxville.

I saw Lexington play 6 games on tape last year (including the Sheffield game) and when I saw them play, I mean, I saw them play--rewind, rewind, rewind. I saw enough to know what was going to happen when they went to Lipscomb. (I saw that game in person.) 11 players bunched foot-to-foot against Lipscomb, doesn't work as well as it does against Chester County.. No passing attack. I thought DeBerry was their best player (Apparently those who vote for post-season awards did, too.) And yes, I know "what really hurt them in that game." It was those guys across the line of scrimmage who were a lot better than they. They were down and out of it before the injury to "their best player happened." I think Lexington got over midfield once.

Regardless, others on this thread have posted their beliefs that 7 3-A is much stronger than 6 3-A. I would retract one statement, though: 6 3-A is 7-7 in non-conference play this year, thanks to 3 wins by Fayette-Ware.

As a former coach, I am still disturbed when someone watches a team play for 48 minutes then presumes to suggest improvements to be carried out by a coach with P.A. Pratt's background or record. But, let me concede something else: It's probably not arrogance, but something else.

Edited by Augielio

Please point out anything which I posted which was arrogant, since you have such a good view of West Tennessee football from Knoxville.

I saw Lexington play 6 games on tape last year (including the Sheffield game) and when I saw them play, I mean, I saw them play--rewind, rewind, rewind. I saw enough to know what was going to happen when they went to Lipscomb. (I saw that game in person.) 11 players bunched foot-to-foot against Lipscomb, doesn't work as well as it does against Chester County.. No passing attack. I thought DeBerry was their best player (Apparently those who vote for post-season awards did, too.) And yes, I know "what really hurt them in that game." It was those guys across the line of scrimmage who were a lot better than they. They were down and out of it before the injury to "their best player happened." I think Lexington got over midfield once.

Regardless, others on this thread have posted their beliefs that 7 3-A is much stronger than 6 3-A. I would retract one statement, though: 6 3-A is 7-7 in non-conference play this year, thanks to 3 wins by Fayette-Ware.

As a former coach, I am still disturbed when someone watches a team play for 48 minutes then presumes to suggest improvements to be carried out by a coach with P.A. Pratt's background or record. But, let me concede something else: It's probably not arrogance, but something else.

What is the difference in calling someone arrogant for pointing out his opinions of a coach, versus what you point out with every college football team in the country in completely ridiculing any coach you have a problem with? Do you honestly believe you know more about football that a coach of a Division 1-A program?

Buckley was what made that team 12-1 last year. Deberry might have been more well-rounded, but Buckley was the the best athlete. Of course, both were pretty darn good, and I feel both undersigned in college as well. Would they have won if Buckley had not gone down? Probably not. Do I think they could have made a couple of halftime adjustments to put sme poitns on the board with him? Absolutely. They had no big play threat on the field when he went down. Also, I'd also go so far as to say what hurt Lexington more than anything was trying to throw the ball so much so early instead of going with what got them to that point.

You might be surprised what a Knoxville boy might know about West TN football. It's a small world now-a-days.

Finally, you never answered how the geographic lines of the region 6 and region 7 split do not make any sense. I'm waiting............

I'm 100% sure that Solomon can defend his knowledge of West Tennssee football, so I'll leave that alone.

Let me set you striaght on a few things I do know. Kevis Buckley was the MVP of that team as well as region 6-3A. What vote getters are you talking about? The ones that voted for DeBerry as the 3A lineman of the year. A position that Buckley has never played, but DeBerry was very deserving of. Any player thats All-State at multiple postions for 3 years straight is probably that teams best player. Lexington did pass last year, if you saw the Hardin Co tape or the McNairy tape I guess that you know this. If not you can go look up old posts right here on coacht to get the stat lines.

Again thats last year, and I dont mean to go on about Lexington on another teams thread.But, it seems you were a little misguided by the information you had on Lexington last year. DL had one heck of a team, but thats no reason to call Lexington "Paper Tigers". Last time I checked, they beat everybody in the playoffs except for LA.

Edited by montague1

What is the difference in calling someone arrogant for pointing out his opinions of a coach, versus what you point out with every college football team in the country in completely ridiculing any coach you have a problem with? Do you honestly believe you know more about football that a coach of a Division 1-A program?

Buckley was what made that team 12-1 last year. Deberry might have been more well-rounded, but Buckley was the the best athlete. Of course, both were pretty darn good, and I feel both undersigned in college as well. Would they have won if Buckley had not gone down? Probably not. Do I think they could have made a couple of halftime adjustments to put sme poitns on the board with him? Absolutely. They had no big play threat on the field when he went down. Also, I'd also go so far as to say what hurt Lexington more than anything was trying to throw the ball so much so early instead of going with what got them to that point.

You might be surprised what a Knoxville boy might know about West TN football. It's a small world now-a-days.

Finally, you never answered how the geographic lines of the region 6 and region 7 split do not make any sense. I'm waiting............

a question.....does anybody know who the real life "Augielio" was? not the one here on coacht, the real life "Augielo"

Edited by mg

a little about the augielio here on coacht.....he is probably the most knowledgeable person on these boards when it comes to west tn football......i know he is the oldest for sure :ph34r:

his resume speaks for itself.....and many times he probably is communicating on a higher level than most people on these boards would understand......

he coached hs for many years, scouted and was a highly respected educator for over 30 years....

i think he has even testified before the warren commission.......

and i do know that any coach in west tn who has coached for more than 20 years knows him.......

until somebody on these boards can top that....well when he speaks, a lot of people listen.....

which is something that i and many others should learn how to do....

but of course what do i know.....i was member number 870......and have only made 690 post.......i guess i got a lot more to learn...thank god

Edited by mg