Top keeper in the past 10 years? (Middle Tennessee)

RCola123

The best of all time in Middle TN but way underated Melissa Berigan. With her in the goal she won a lot of games for SHS. She will be imazing in college.

In February 2006, it was reported that Melissa Berigan signed with Austin Peay University, a member of the OVC. However, on the AP website she is not listed on their roster and she is not listed under the team's cumulative game statistics for 2006. Is she at AP? If not, where is she playing college soccer?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best of all time in Middle TN but way underated Melissa Berigan. With her in the goal she won a lot of games for SHS. She will be imazing in college.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion, but there is no way Berigan is the "... best of all time in Middle TN ..."

You need to see a little more soccer, I think. :thumb:

You are definitely entitled to your opinion, but there is no way Berigan is the "... best of all time in Middle TN ..."

You need to see a little more soccer, I think. :thumb:

she had good skill but you never knew switch melissa would show up

centennial, brentwood and bga all have great goalkeepers

katherine baltz has done a great for us at tullahoma the last 3 years

Berigan was an above average keeper at best. Having worked with a ton of keepers and trained 3 who went on to be all-state(Jordan Moore, Bryan Cartmell, Lauren Paul), I thought Berigan was above average at best. I don't think she would make my top ten. Off the top of my head, this is how I would rank the top six in order:

1. Ann Shelton

2. Amanda Martin

3. Taryn Holland

4. Lauren Paul

5. Christy Zabek

6. Steph Stallo

Given me time, I would come up with more.

Berigan was an above average keeper at best. Having worked with a ton of keepers and trained 3 who went on to be all-state(Jordan Moore, Bryan Cartmell, Lauren Paul), I thought Berigan was above average at best. I don't think she would make my top ten. Off the top of my head, this is how I would rank the top six in order:

1. Ann Shelton

2. Amanda Martin

3. Taryn Holland

4. Lauren Paul

5. Christy Zabek

6. Steph Stallo

Given me time, I would come up with more.

She was TACA All State twice and TSWA All State once along with a few additional awards listed below.

2003-2004 – “All Rutherford County Area” Soccer Team

2004 – Katie Hunter “All Tournament” Team

2004 – “All District” First Team

2004 -2005 – 1988 ODP State Pool

2004 – 2005 – Brentwood Ambush (Select) Co -MVP

2004 TSWA – All State Team

2004 and 2005 -TACA – AAA – All State Team

2004 – Best season average for keepers in the State (.48) goals per game

15 shut outs.

2005 – District – Defensive Player of the Year

2005 – MVP Smyrna High School Team

2005 -2006 Co-Captain – Brentwood Ambush U-18 Soccer Team

2006 - Brentwood Soccer Club’s Player Excellence Award and Scholarship

2006 - “Daily News Journals” All Sports Award – Smyrna High School Girls

Soccer - MVP

By the way, how often have you seen her play?

I saw a couple of high school games and some select games. Decent but not great.

I would have to agree with you. I saw her play several H.S. games, select, and even saw a few of her training sessions. She may very well be the best keeper that SHS has had in the past ten years, but not one of the state's best in the past ten.

This is not a slam at soccermomguru or SHS Girls Fan. She was a better than average keeper and a good team leader, just not the best in Middle Tn.

This thread started out as "who's the best" and now it has turned into another BASH THE PLAYER routine. This was going on a few days ago and turned nasty. I don't really know any of the girls you guys argue about, but I don't find it entertaining or beneficial to bringing up the level of soccer in TN. What's worse is that it appears several of you are coachs and that disappoints me as a players parent even more. I've alway heard if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all. Mess with each other on why your team is better than my team or we played better on that day, but why let players see your negative thoughts on the web. Even the player at MS State felt she had to defend herself from bashing. My gosh, she's a freshman and should be an example for others to look up to. As stated before, 10 players have not done their job before the keeper gets in the game. Since I don't know the girls on your list and live out west, I don't know their teams and wonder if they are all really "middle TN" players. If so great. If not, you need to add Kelly Dyer. Just google her name before you start bashing her. The NSCAA picked her in 2005 and I don't see anyother TN players on the list and she was all state according to Eurosports. I've seen her play and she certainly needs mentioning, if our goal is to stete the best. Maybe we'll have 20 great keepers by the time the list is compiled.

P.S. I agree with the person who asked, " What school is SHS". Maybe some one could post a cheat sheet for us less informed.

This thread started out as "who's the best" and now it has turned into another BASH THE PLAYER routine. This was going on a few days ago and turned nasty. I don't really know any of the girls you guys argue about, but I don't find it entertaining or beneficial to bringing up the level of soccer in TN. What's worse is that it appears several of you are coachs and that disappoints me as a players parent even more. I've alway heard if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all. Mess with each other on why your team is better than my team or we played better on that day, but why let players see your negative thoughts on the web. Even the player at MS State felt she had to defend herself from bashing. My gosh, she's a freshman and should be an example for others to look up to. As stated before, 10 players have not done their job before the keeper gets in the game. Since I don't know the girls on your list and live out west, I don't know their teams and wonder if they are all really "middle TN" players. If so great. If not, you need to add Kelly Dyer. Just google her name before you start bashing her. The NSCAA picked her in 2005 and I don't see anyother TN players on the list and she was all state according to Eurosports. I've seen her play and she certainly needs mentioning, if our goal is to stete the best. Maybe we'll have 20 great keepers by the time the list is compiled.

P.S. I agree with the person who asked, " What school is SHS". Maybe some one could post a cheat sheet for us less informed.

Sorry, I don't see anyone bashing any player on this thread.

There's a difference between being critical and being negative. I think most of the posters have been thinking critically, not negatively.

I don't see any response from the player at MS State but her stats (I know she's just a freshman) don't lend itself to her being the best of middle tn.

Right now it's just a question of whether anyone thinks that there has been anyone better than Ann Shelton from Tullahoma.

Also, Kelly Dyer was mentioned early in the thread although she is not in middle tn. (memphis I think).

Don't be so uptight. Coaches are very pragmatic in their evaluations of players and teams. It's nothing personal. :lol: