should south pittsburg move to AA

Geno

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Harry Larry

I think if South Pitt wants more regular season comp then either schedule more difficult non region opponents or move up. By the way,what makes you say their will be a new coach next year?

Coach Grider is taking over the principal position next year.

Slick Rick says no one cares what zonepirate heard. Hearing stuff will get you in trouble. Hear say means nothing. Slick Rick is surprised that zonepirate don't want Coach Bryant to take over the reins.

When Slick Rick speaks everyone listens.

Slick Rick hope's they do move up, but they should probably stay put.

The quality of what you hear depends on your source. Now Geno and Harry Larry may have better sources but I think it is still a fluid situation. She was leaving at mid year but it doesn't look like that will happen. If anything has been decided as to when and who it has not been formally announced (at least to me :unsure: ). Coaching is a big part of Vic's life so any decision that could possible affect his coaching would be a tough one.

Slick Richard and his good buddy Tiny Tim should bow down and pay attention when the King of ZONE speaks

I don't think they should move up. Jasper (Marion County) moved up to AA in the old clasification in about 1983 or 1984 as did Sequatichie county. Grundy County moved up to AA in 1979. In the 1980s, Jasper was putting 60-90 players on the sidelines.

The classification system has changed a couple of times since then. So. Pitt has not moved based on enrollment and will not based on enrollment. They are actually one of the smallest high schools in the state probably in the smallest 10. Some of the 2A

schools are a lot bigger in size and field 3 or 4 more times the player the Pirates do.

Goodpasture hasn't had 1a or A enrollment in decades and neither has Alcoa, Milan and some of the other perrenial powers. Tyner was AAA under the old sytem. I remember when the mighty City Dynamoes moved down from AAA to A for a couple of years into the Pirates district and thought they were going to run over everyone and they didn't make the playoffs those 2 years and got pasted both years against the Pirates side-saddle single wing offense. They were glad to get out of A. Those years only 2 teams from each district one to the playoffs and before that only one made it.

When people look at schools history they should take into account that South Pittsburg and Trousdale County were making the playoffs when only one or two teams from their districts or regions were going.

South Pittsburg is 3-3 in state title games and have been in the semifinals about 12 times. Outside of TC, the pirates have won more titles than anyone in 1a I think. TC and South Pitt are definately the winningest 1a teams in history in TN.

I think they are 2-2 against each other in the semifinals in some classic games by any classification standards.S o give me a break for all of you people that like to pull Tyner out of your hip pocket. Have them show up with 21 players against the Pirates top 21 or TC from those games and you would be shocked.

They Have to play Jasper every year and the always have at least one more bigger school on the schedule.

The real problem is the TSSAA clasification system. There aren't enough schools in TN to have 5 classes. They were just trying to act like states such as FL and CA that have large populations. I think they should have no more than 4 classes maybe even go back to 3. That way some of the samller 2a schools would go bact to 1a etc.

Its those larger 2a schools that would make it tough for the Pirates to compete at that level year in and year out. Lose a qb for the season and it could be tough for a 1a school to overcome that in the 2a playoffs.

The real problem is the TSSAA clasification system. There aren't enough schools in TN to have 5 classes. They were just trying to act like states such as FL and CA that have large populations. I think they should have no more than 4 classes maybe even go back to 3. That way some of the samller 2a schools would go bact to 1a etc.

Great post but the line I copied above says it all. The classification arrangement is the heart of some problems. First off when 4 teams from 8 regions in 5 classes go to the playoffs - and this is not including the D-II schools - that is way too many. What is that? 160 schools make the playoffs? And how many of the lower seeded teams are deserving of it? When a 1-9 or 2-8 team makes the playoffs it make the whole thing a joke for the most part. Granted, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread the Pirates made the playoffs a couple of years ago with a 3-7 record as the 2nd seed in the region. But still there are too many teams making the playoffs from a single classification. Drop it down to 4 classes or back to even 3 and have 4 teams from the 8 regions go. It makes for some big time games then AND it makes every game that much more important. It does make it harder to schedule out of region opponents but who would really need to?

Back to the starting post though, no SP should stay where they are. Just schedule the higher classification teams like they always have. Remember this about their schedule too: Yes, they blew out Greenback this year but last year that game came down to the last couple of minutes before the game was decided. Sounds like a good game to me. The Sequatchie County game was 7-0. Not boring either. The Marion game was a 1 point loss. Aside from the region games, Bledsoe county was the only game that wasn't close. And of those non-region games that were close (2 to 2A teams and 1 1A team) they were all a one big play away from being a different story. Then the Pirates took a 2nd round loss in the playoffs to a real good Friendship team. None of this looks like a reason to me to move up.

Edited by The Drunken Sailor