should south pittsburg move to AA

Geno

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay my other post were deleted so here goes...I went back and looked and SP has "only" won 3 state championships in Football. That's not exactly tearing it up. I say stick to 1A and if you start winning championships every single year then maybe think about going to 2A. Also, I gaurantee you that if you ask anybody who has ever won a championship they could care less what class it was in. Every championship is special and it doesn't matter what class you're in. The goal is to win championships not prove that you can beat teams that your not supposed to.

Okay my other post were deleted so here goes...I went back and looked and SP has "only" won 3 state championships in Football. That's not exactly tearing it up. I say stick to 1A and if you start winning championships every single year then maybe think about going to 2A. Also, I gaurantee you that if you ask anybody who has ever won a championship they could care less what class it was in. Every championship is special and it doesn't matter what class you're in. The goal is to win championships not prove that you can beat teams that your not supposed to.

The thing is region 3-1A is so weak that the fans are a little frustrated. Look at this in 2004 South Pittsburg went 3-7 and finished second in the region. Yes they were a little better than their record showed but a 3-7 hosting a round one playoff game. Last year and this year SP has a good team (this year's team by far better than last). The move to 2A would hurt chances when the playoffs come around but the rivalries in the Sequatchie valley would definitely mean something again. Yes they can compete with Tyner maybe not win every year but they could defintely compete with them. I really don't think they will move up but it does deserve at least some consideration.

I believe the Pirates are where they need to be. They only have about 220 students roughly, so it's not like theyre one of the bigger 1a schools. I believe they could compete in the higher classifications. I'm not sure about winning championships but they could make a run in the playoffs. Yes they are in a weak region and traditional 1a powers such as Greenback and Oneida aren't what they used to by but you've still got Trousdale, FCS, and Gordonsville to contend with.

Edited by MIKE LINEBACKER

Speaking from experience being a TC fan. The move to 3A was alot of fun especially the region that we were in SC,MC,Portland,LA,and York. It sounds like you could have a fun region for awhile but the problem is the numbers. A small public school such as TC or SP can not compete year to year simply because of numbers. Several injuries on a 1a squad can be devestating where a 2a or 3a squad has more players to choose from. They can find a replacement out of 80 easier than we can find one out of 30. I wouldn't trade those four years in 3a for nothing it was great fun but i'm happy to be back in 1a now. Good luck to the pirates where ever you play in the future. This TC fan has alot of respect for your program.

Nothing is going to happen or can it happen until the 2009 season when it will be time for another reclassification. Trousdale County shifted around from 1A-2A-3A-1A. Their goal was to play for State Championships and move accordingly to who was in what region on what side of the State. Depending on enrollment figures or if the tSSAA does a total split in 2009, S. Pitt probably needs to see what happens with some of the other 2A schools, such as Goodpasture and the multiplier rule. They could move to 3A as David Lipscomb based on this year's numbers would move to 4A.

2A Football is very strong across the state especially during the Playoffs. Throw in the Alcoa's and Tyners in the East, Goodpasture, Milan, and Huntingdon out of the West, The Road to Murfreesboro gets very rocky. If it is the goal of S. Pitt to play and compete for State Championships then they need to stay 1A. If they wish to upgrade the opponents in the Playoff chase, then move to 2A. Based on my experience of watching David Lipscomb football move from 1A to 2A to 3A, there is a difference on each level and it gets harder. The 2A playoffs were extremely difficult. 3A Football, there are no patsies on the schedule. Everyone has more athletes, you may still win big, but the game is more physical for a longer period of time.

S. Pitt has had a long great tradition in football. As someone "who has been there and done and experienced that" build your program to be the best it can be on the 1A level and be that success model to the other 1A teams. If you have any non-region dates available, schedule tougher opponents, and include some 2A or 3A teams or even some DII teams. You can change those dates out every two years.

well i suspect the pirates wont be going anywhere anyway..... i agree we play some great teams in the playoffs.. so i guess the answer is whoever becomes the new head coach for south pittsburg next year needs to make a tougher schedule....

Edited by Geno

I have to believe it is So. Pitts best interest to stay A. Ask USJ how the jump to AA has been for them. A big difference in talent when you get to the upper crust of AA football. Alcoa, Goodpasture, Smith Co. Huntingdon, Milan westview, Lewis Co. Camden among others. The Pirates maybe able to make the playoffs in Region 3-2A, let's face it outside of Tyner the region is not very strong, but no way do they have a chance at a state title.

well i suspect the pirates wont be going anywhere anyway..... i agree we play some great teams in the playoffs.. so i guess the answer is whoever becomes the new head coach for south pittsburg next year needs to make a tougher schedule....

I think if South Pitt wants more regular season comp then either schedule more difficult non region opponents or move up. By the way,what makes you say their will be a new coach next year?