South Pittsburg vs. Grace

flake

SP won, as real they should have but I wouldn’t raise my flag to high. I worked the sideline and after the language and comments I heard from both the players and the fans I would be ashamed. Now granted, as stated previously, they had more than an ample supply of fuel, with the officiating crew. I would agree that between the calls, the spots, the clock mis-management and just the general confusion frustration would set in, but I can’t imagine the behavior if the game would have been close. The two women that actually said and did something inappropriate to #9 after the game, grow up and get a life.

Okay, on the bright side, the SP coaching staff, on the other hand, was one of the best I’ve worked around in three years. Given the circumstances, they had more than enough reason and plenty of opportunities to have a complete meltdown but chose not to and took the high road and exhibited a great deal of class.

The casualty of the evening, I hope that the young man who got hit by his own player in the knee is alright. It didn’t sound good from the sideline.

Yea, there were some fans around me that went over the top and I will go ahead and appologize for their behavior. You saw the officials at work so you know the source of the frustration. I'm sure some of the players were frustrated by the officiating too. The Ladies that said something to #9 should have kept their mouth shut after the game. It is not fans places to confront kids, that is totally unacceptable. #9 was the kid who took a cheap shot after the whistle to the back of our #55 and when #55 reacted he drew a personal foul (his second, the mouthpiece was his first) which resulted in his ejection. 55 should have been smart enough to not retaliate but unfortunately he didn't. I was standing on the sideline right in front of the play so I know it happened. I also saw him do this 3 other times but in those cases our guys managed to stay out of trouble. The coach needs to review the film and disipline this kid. I sure hope your coach does not condone this type of behavior.

Vic and the rest of the coaches did a good job of keeping their cool with what was happening. I understand that the mouthpiece personal foul will be appealed. Technically it was a correct call but the timing was suspect as was the need. The rules were changed to make it easier for officials to see mouthpieces so they could make sure they were being worn. Why not just send him to the sideline? It was presribed by his orthodonist so I see it as a safety issue for the kid. As for Gary's knee he will be getting an MRI to see how bad it is. Hopefully it is not as bad as it looked.

The Grace football team played a gutsy game and it is unfortunate that officating ruined what should have been an enjoyable evening for all the players and fans on both sides. It didn't have to be like it was. My guess is that #9 just let the frustration get to him too and this is not his normal way of playing. The coach does need to talk to him. Grace was a gracious host and I for one appreciate that. Officials are supposed to be transparent but in this case they created the problems.

Edited by zonepirate

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, the coaches showed an unbelievable amount of restraint and I enjoyed talking to them on the sidelines. Before the game was over however, I did manage to learn a few new words.

I hope the MRI comes out okay, you hate to see the kids get hurt. I hope to see the game against FCA, if it happens down the road.

I can imagine that words not normally used were pulled out for those refs :D . Maybe next year when Grace comes to SP we can return the hospitality and avoid the problems. Life is too short to go to a football game and win and still feel mad and frustrated.

He was a starting guard and a good kid. I hope it is not as bad as it looked. The kid that got thrown out over the mouthpiece/retalitory shove was the other starting guard. The coaches will have their work cut out for them if at least one can not play this week against MC

Agreed, the coaches showed an unbelievable amount of restraint and I enjoyed talking to them on the sidelines. Before the game was over however, I did manage to learn a few new words.

I hope the MRI comes out okay, you hate to see the kids get hurt. I hope to see the game against FCA, if it happens down the road.

Its FCS not FCA. Sorry but seems like everyone puts FCA, and that is incorrect.

I talked to him tonight and he said his knee was OK, no major injury. He was still limping so this week may be doubtful.

Also SP's JV team defeated Grace's JV 38-6. Talent is in the pipeline