Will MBA make the playoffs?

CT7954

Reconstructing MBA's playoff history, they made the '71 playoffs, losing to Covington, and then didn't make the playoffs again until '79. There were bowl appearances in '73, and I believe '80. I don't remember the '81 season, and the '82 team had a very rough year.

We did make it in '87, losing to Stratford in the first round, and then (I think) did not make it in either '88 or '89. WE made it from '90 thru '92, and then I don't think in '93 (the Peter Thurmond year, in between Coach Owen and Coach B ). We then made it in every year since. I do know that the '90 team was the first to make it to the quarterfinals.

Edited by big red big blue

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did make it in '87, losing to Stratford in the first round, and then (I think) did not make it in either '88 or '89. WE made it from '90 thru '92, and then I don't think in '93 (the Peter Thurmond year, in between Coach Owen and Coach B ). We then made it in every year since. I do know that the '90 team was the first to make it to the quarterfinals.

The '93 team didn't make the playoffs. They were 5-5 in the regular season and went to the Tullahoma Lions Bowl, which they won. That team was coached on interim basis by Floyd Elliott. Speculation after the season was that Thurmond would get the job(he ran our spring conditioning), but Bowers got it and Thurmond went to BGA. The '94 team went to the 2nd round and lost at JCM and a guy named, Al Wilson. The '95 team was the first to make it to the semifinals(BA) and the '96 team lost the legendary 2OT game to BA in the quarters. Since the split ('97), they've made the playoffs every year, although barely in 2001, Bowers' last year. As I've stated before, this team will struggle to make the playoffs. Next year should be better.

• 1 month later...

Een though they pulled out a lucky win against Father Ryan, they still managed to lose to the rest of their opponents. This is a sad thing for a "dynasty" type program.

Maybe I'm misreading your post, but it sounds as though you're implying MBA has done something wrong, or something that merits embarrassment. While nobody at MBA is likely to be thrilled with a 4-6 record, there are occasional hiccups, even in dynasty type programs. The fact is that MBA has about 350 boys from which to select a varsity football team. Depth is always something of an issue, and a few key injuries can be devastating. This became an awfully young team, but one that showed some real character. Let's not forget that MBA went to Trinity with some injuries, lost its quarterback during the game, and still managed to come from behind and leave Lousiville with a win. To date, nobody else has done that.

As to the lucky win against Ryan, two thoughts. First, I suspect Ryan would have been delighted with any win, lucky or not. With enough lucky wins in a season, you get a lucky state championship. Second, rivalry football is one thing, and pretty football is another. Very seldom do the two cross paths.

IMHO opinion, a very young team showed a lot of character. There's nothing sad about that.

Maybe I'm misreading your post, but it sounds as though you're implying MBA has done something wrong, or something that merits embarrassment. While nobody at MBA is likely to be thrilled with a 4-6 record, there are occasional hiccups, even in dynasty type programs. The fact is that MBA has about 350 boys from which to select a varsity football team. Depth is always something of an issue, and a few key injuries can be devastating. This became an awfully young team, but one that showed some real character. Let's not forget that MBA went to Trinity with some injuries, lost its quarterback during the game, and still managed to come from behind and leave Lousiville with a win. To date, nobody else has done that.

As to the lucky win against Ryan, two thoughts. First, I suspect Ryan would have been delighted with any win, lucky or not. With enough lucky wins in a season, you get a lucky state championship. Second, rivalry football is one thing, and pretty football is another. Very seldom do the two cross paths.

IMHO opinion, a very young team showed a lot of character. There's nothing sad about that.

How much of an impact did the new area schools have on the program

How much of an impact did the new area schools have on the program

IMO, Ricky Bowers & Ensworth is having a major impact on all private schools in Middle Tennessee. Look for Ricky to build Ensworth into the type of powerhouse that MBA once was.

It also helped when MBA had a run of QB's like Martin & Fisher. How many schools get that type of QB once every 25 years much less when they follow each other?

Based on my experiences coaching at MBA and Oak Hill last year, as well as conversations with some MBA faculty, Ensworth has had much less of an impact on MBA than initially expected. Ensworth will probably field some good teamsin the near future, especially with athletes like Tavarris Jefferson (sp?) there, but in terms of kids from their traditional feeder schools that both MBA and Ensworth are competing for, MBA is not currently seeing too much of an impact.

IMO, Ricky Bowers & Ensworth is having a major impact on all private schools in Middle Tennessee. Look for Ricky to build Ensworth into the type of powerhouse that MBA once was.

It also helped when MBA had a run of QB's like Martin & Fisher. How many schools get that type of QB once every 25 years much less when they follow each other?

How many students does MBA have