Maryville ranked #23 in national poll

Rebel96

As much as I'm ready to see Maryville head to 5A, Powellfan, I don't know if they are going to be challenged that much. Oak Ridge and Dobyns Bennett can probably hang with them here in East Tenn, but Central already does that to them every year. As far as middle and west Tenn go, Riverdale maybe, but even I don't think they could consistently beat the Rebels. Congrats to Maryville.

u are a nut for this post :rolleyes:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who would win DB vs Maryville????????

DB has good fans that believe in their team. The boys are out to play hard.......but I'd give the win to Maryville this year. Why? Those boys are built to win state championships and play football from the day they were born. The fans are hardcore and expect nothing less from their team.

I'm not saying it would be a blowout, but I am saying that Maryville would take the win in a close game. They have that experience playing in tough tough tough nerve racking state title games.

4A, 5A, that just means that you have more students than another school. Players are players, and I just think Maryville has the players and the experience that would carry them in a game for the win.

DB should focus on actually winning a state championship before they can start to think they are the best in the state. And before you claim me as a Maryville fan, think again. Look at the name, I live near Kingsport.

[quote name='TheWeapon11' date='Sep 26 2006 - 09:15 PM' post='826159908']

Who would win DB vs Maryville????????

Maryville and DB scrimmaged in preseason. The scrimmage was conducted similar to a game....first downs and such. Only punt and kick returns were not allowed. Maryville pretty much dominated the first teams.

DB has good fans that believe in their team. The boys are out to play hard.......but I'd give the win to Maryville this year. Why? Those boys are built to win state championships and play football from the day they were born. The fans are hardcore and expect nothing less from their team.

I'm not saying it would be a blowout, but I am saying that Maryville would take the win in a close game. They have that experience playing in tough tough tough nerve racking state title games.

4A, 5A, that just means that you have more students than another school. Players are players, and I just think Maryville has the players and the experience that would carry them in a game for the win.

DB should focus on actually winning a state championship before they can start to think they are the best in the state. And before you claim me as a Maryville fan, think again. Look at the name, I live near Kingsport.

Good post and thoughts.

It is nice to see Maryville Ranked nationally but we must keep these things in perspective. In my opinion these High School polls, unlike college rankings are not based upon who is the best this year, but who has been the best the past the past several years. I do not think top to bottom this is the best Maryville team in the past 8 years even though they are very good, this team is at the tail of the current 36 game winning streak. Prior to that OT field goal vs. More west in the semi's in 04' the Rebels had a 39 game streak going, and the current players had little to do whit that. Still it is a nice honor but I don't want to lose to central this Friday. One game at a time!

Edited by FBEmeritus

Polls are just message board, newspaper, and talk radio fodder. They give somebody something to talk about or write about and when it's played out on the field, it don't amount to a good sized hill of butter beans.

I'm lots more enterest'd in what happens between the lines. In a my best Johnny Manners impression, "All I'm worried about right now is the Central Bowl on Friday nite."

Edited by STARSNBARS

Polls are just opinions and not real valid till season ends. If the Rebels win the state and go undefeated then they may deserve a true national ranking. And this is no direspect to a great program.

Agree, but they have done that the past two years after taking a year off after wining three State Championships in a row! 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 200? :lol:

No disrespect to you sir or your post but no one in Tennessee and has done that or come close to it since the play-off system was enacted. But still, to some, not anything big because they only play in 4A! Kind of silly don't you think?