Strong Rumor............Oak Ridge vs Maryville Week 0 2007

MLREB

The facts ...

this was SO CLOSE to happening. The WB coaches wanted to drop the Maryville game. The Oak Ridge and Maryville coaches had indeed worked out a week zero game. The William Blount ADMINSTRATION stepped in and refused to drop the Maryville game.

Therefore, it's offically NOT going to happen in 07.

But let's be honest, it's going to happen soon because in two years, they will be in the same region. Now I respect Maryville and their coaches as much as anyone with a football brain, but in the next few years, I think Oak Ridge will have the players to make this a VERY exciting game.

Maybe Quarles will be gone to college by then, sheesh! :thumb:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What 5a teams has Maryville beaten besides Heritage and William Blount? Don't get me wrong you guys are really good but when you move up to 5a where you are suppose to be it will much different. You will win your ball games but not in the fashion that you do in 4a....

Edited by ImaOWL

The facts ...

this was SO CLOSE to happening. The WB coaches wanted to drop the Maryville game. The Oak Ridge and Maryville coaches had indeed worked out a week zero game. The William Blount ADMINSTRATION stepped in and refused to drop the Maryville game.

But let's be honest, it's going to happen soon because in two years, they will be in the same region. Now I respect Maryville and their coaches as much as anyone with a football brain, but in the next few years, I think Oak Ridge will have the players to make this a VERY exciting game.

Maybe Quarles will be gone to college by then, sheesh! :thumb:

Thanks Tank....as I stated it was a strong rumor. I had not heard that the WB administration had stepped in. Let's hope they have a change of heart. WB is a warm up game for Maryville to prepare for the stronger 3-4A competition. Being that the game is at WB next year who knows what will happen when Maryville puts another beat down on them. It's the wild wild West down there.

Anybody surprised that WB COACHES want to end the series? They ended the Alcoa series when a strong class was coming through. Now that Alcoa will be weaker the next two year WB wants to put them back on the schedule. Alcoa has a very strong 8th grade class coming through so I bet WB will want back off Alcoa's schedule in three year.... Anybody see a patern?..... :angry:

No Reb, thank you!

Reading your post, I got some material for a story in the paper tomorrow. :thumb:

Thanks Tank....as I stated it was a strong rumor. I had not heard that the WB administration had stepped in. Let's hope they have a change of heart. WB is a warm up game for Maryville to prepare for the stronger 3-4A competition. Being that the game is at WB next year who knows what will happen when Maryville puts another beat down on them. It's the wild wild West down there.

Anybody surprised that WB COACHES want to end the series? They ended the Alcoa series when a strong class was coming through. Now that Alcoa will be weaker the next two year WB wants to put them back on the schedule. Alcoa has a very strong 8th grade class coming through so I bet WB will want back off Alcoa's schedule in three year.... Anybody see a patern?..... :angry:

What 5a teams has Maryville beaten besides Heritage and William Blount? Don't get me wrong you guys are really good but when you move up to 5a where you are suppose to be it will much different. You will win your ball games but not in the fashion that you do in 4a....

Let me put it to you like this....if 5A doesn't get better in East Tennessee there will be little difference. I watched the Owls versus WB recently and let me assure you the Owls don't want any of Maryville........ :thumb:

The facts ...

Maybe Quarles will be gone to college by then, sheesh! :lol:

[/quote]

Tank....after thinking about this I believe Maryville should step in and DROP WB. Give the WB coaches what they want...... :thumb:

When maryville moves to 5A, I hope we go to region 1 and stay away from William Blount. I am sick of hearing from some of there fans about Maryville players and coaches having no class.

I am tired of this city / county thing that has been going on for far to long and it is not just at the high school level. It starts in the youth leagues and everyone in Blount County knows one of the youth coaches that keeps it going. It is time for this series to come to an end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Maryville / William Blount football game has gone far beyond what High School sports are all about. It is not fun anymore and I would rather play 9 games a year that to play the Govs.

William Blount needs to play someone else every two years at home rather that Maryville and drop that gate from about $40,000 down to $10,000. You can make that $30,000 up in donations or mabey you could sponsor a WWE match on the fifty yard line and fill up the place. I might even come to see that ix DX is there.

Rebel9

Yaaaay !!! I had just posted to PepVol on another thread that I hoped the WB administration would step in and prevent this from happening. I am very proud of Donnie Moore (AD) and Steve Lafon (Principal) and whoever else might have figured in to this decision.

I still trust Coach Meadows--and believe he's a fine coach--but I DID NOT want to drop Maryville. We've beat them I believe like 3 times in 27 years ... but you know what, there's always next season.

I'm hoping that it is true that we get Alcoa back on the schedule too. Those who really know the truth, know that there was more to it than just Alcoa being "too good" for us. But still, I wish we'd never dropped them either.

Thanks Tank for the update and thanks ML for bringing this up (honestly).