Who is the best coach ever in TN?

Bassfishing_205

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quarles has no competition... football talent in TN has never been higher and he owns this state..

quarles has done a terrific job, but he inherited a program that had already tasted success for many years. rankin came in and put riverdale on the map, so that would be my vote. 2 great coaches regardless :thumb:

Coach Boyce Smith at Springfield High School, back in the day. He made the Ripley's Believe It or Not for 'Touchdown a Minute Team' were his 1930(i know it is old but if you think about it) team average a touchdown a minute in football play. He now has the high school field/stadium named after him he is the one of the winningest coach in Tennessee History to this day(288 victories from 1928-1972 (288-116-34 .696)( He is 4th behind Carlton Flatt(341 wins @ Brentwood Academy from 1971-2005, John Tucker 332 victories @ Parsons, Tiptonville, Lewis County, Dickson, Milan, Gibson County, Humboldt , and 324 E.B. "Red" Etter @ Chattanooga Central & Baylor School) That is pretty amazing in my books

Coach Boyce Smith at Springfield High School, back in the day. He made the Ripley's Believe It or Not for 'Touchdown a Minute Team' were his 1930(i know it is old but if you think about it) team average a touchdown a minute in football play. He now has the high school field/stadium named after him he is the one of the winningest coach in Tennessee History to this day(288 victories from 1928-1972 (288-116-34 .696)( He is 4th behind Carlton Flatt(341 wins @ <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a> from 1971-2005, John Tucker 332 victories @ Parsons, Tiptonville, Lewis County, Dickson, Milan, Gibson County, Humboldt , and 324 E.B. "Red" Etter @ Chattanooga Central & Baylor School) That is pretty amazing in my books

I have to put in a plug for Red Etter. During his tenure at Central the TSSAA website attributes 6 Litkenhous or Litratings recognized state championships to his teams from 1946 to 1965. This website http://www.class61.com/etter_record.htm credits his teams with 9 championships from 1946 to 1964. The disparity arises because the TSSAA didn't sanctions playoffs (actually not to dissimilar from what we have now with 8 "champions"). His 1973 Baylor team was the state champion and recognized nationally as the top team in the country. All of his championships were at the highest level in Tennessee football. His teams rarely played Podunk High from Itsy Bitsy County and often travelled out of state to find competition - kind of like DIIAAA teams do now.

No question that the before mentioned coaches have done great things at those respected programs. I grew up playing both Phil King and Boyce Smith football, so for Boyce to have a league named after him says something and I definately respect what he did as a coach. I am not surprised however, that no one has given the respect to the answer to this question, Carlton Flatt. In 34 years of coaching, he is the winningest coach in TN, averaging over 10 wins per season. He has been in roughly 20 finals, winning 9. He started the program from scratch in 1970 and he built it into a dynasty. Brentwood Academy and Flatt have won state titles in almost every classification. He will get his 10th title, that elusive D2AAA title, this year. No disrespect to Tucker, but he coached for over 50 years or something like that. Flatt is one of the winningest coaches nationally(percentage wise)in the history of high school football. So, it is wise to say that he is the best coach in Tn high school history. BRENTWOOD HAIL TO THEE

No question that the before mentioned coaches have done great things at those respected programs. I grew up playing both Phil King and Boyce Smith football, so for Boyce to have a league named after him says something and I definately respect what he did as a coach. I am not surprised however, that no one has given the respect to the answer to this question, Carlton Flatt. In 34 years of coaching, he is the winningest coach in TN, averaging over 10 wins per season. He has been in roughly 20 finals, winning 9. He started the program from scratch in 1970 and he built it into a dynasty. <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a> and Flatt have won state titles in almost every classification. He will get his 10th title, that elusive D2AAA title, this year. No disrespect to Tucker, but he coached for over 50 years or something like that. Flatt is one of the winningest coaches nationally(percentage wise)in the history of high school football. So, it is wise to say that he is the best coach in Tn high school history. BRENTWOOD HAIL TO THEE

Let me be the first one to reply to this one............Carlton Flatt is only a good coach when he has superior athletes brought in from all over TN and even some from other states. Most of his titles were at the AA level in a 3 class system. He was playing the likes of Marion Co., Marshall Co. etc. He "developed" his program to the level that all kind of "recruits" were brought in. He won at the highest level which subsequently split up the entire state. He was a wonderful coach that made a huge mess. His trivial lawsuit against the TSSAA now costs the schools lots of gate monies that they really need. After he retired and Coach Moore took over and did a great job. Flatt's ego wasn't been stroked enough in retirement so he and the coward AD of Brentwood Academy took the job away from Moore and gave it back to Flatt. If my memory serves me correctly he hasn't won a state title since. Good for him. We're all so proud!