So much for having momentum in playoff games. This series has went back and forth and it looks like now the Mets are in the driver's seat. They may even get a day off with the rain in St. Louis. That will give a 40 year old Glavine another day of rest. What does all of this time off do to Detroit? They were very hot. Does this cool them down a little? Interested in what some of you think. Thnx.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much for having momentum in playoff games. This series has went back and forth and it looks like now the Mets are in the driver's seat. They may even get a day off with the rain in St. Louis. That will give a 40 year old Glavine another day of rest. What does all of this time off do to Detroit? They were very hot. Does this cool them down a little? Interested in what some of you think. Thnx.

The Tigers strength is pitching and the time off can do nothing but help there pitchers get more rest! When the WS start the Tigers will have a roster full of fresh arms and the NL team will have a bunch of tired arms! Advantage to the tigers! :thumb:

Having fresh arms is always a plus but when your hot at the plate you want your team to get at bats. I think the Tigers are the team to beat here but beware of the N.L. representative to be riding a tidal wave coming in especially if they win a close series which it is turning out to be. This will rejuvinate them and then you can throw the records out the window because they will be playing on adrenaline. I hope to see a good World Series because this is our last baseball till next spring. Go American League! :thumb:

The Tigers strength is pitching and the time off can do nothing but help there pitchers get more rest! When the WS start the Tigers will have a roster full of fresh arms and the NL team will have a bunch of tired arms! Advantage to the tigers! :thumb:

I agree completely. No comparison between the Detroit rotation and either the Cardinals or (especially) the Mets. It seems clear that the AL has gained superiority over the NL in the past 3-4 years. A clear sign of this is the team ERAs. In the past, due partially to the DH and partially to the styles of play, pitching was always better in the NL. This year, three of the 4 top ERAs are American League teams.

Edited by Augielio

I`m pulling for a St. Louis and Detroit series. It reminds me of the first World Series I remember back when Denny McClain and Bob Gibson squared off. I was in the second grade and our teacher was a big St. Louis fan. Back then the games were played during the day and kids would bring transistor radios with them to listen to the game during school. But our teacher rolled one of the classroom TVs into our room and let us watch the game in class. :thumb:

I`m pulling for a St. Louis and Detroit series. It reminds me of the first World Series I remember back when Denny McClain and Bob Gibson squared off. I was in the second grade and our teacher was a big St. Louis fan. Back then the games were played during the day and kids would bring transistor radios with them to listen to the game during school. But our teacher rolled one of the classroom TVs into our room and let us watch the game in class. :lol:

That is a good teacher. (And a smart one too.) :lol:

I`m pulling for a St. Louis and Detroit series. It reminds me of the first World Series I remember back when Denny McClain and Bob Gibson squared off. I was in the second grade and our teacher was a big St. Louis fan. Back then the games were played during the day and kids would bring transistor radios with them to listen to the game during school. But our teacher rolled one of the classroom TVs into our room and let us watch the game in class. :D

Gosh, your old. we also were allowed to watch on TV, the only one in school. (For you youngsters, WS games used to be played in the day). McClain won 30 that year, Gibson had a 1.12 ERA for the season. Gibson beat McClain in game 1 and 4 (his 7th straight complete game WS victory (64, 67, and 68.) McClain came back for game 6 to win and tie series at 3 each. Gibson on mound for game 7, as a impressionable boy who had watched Gibby win WS games ever since I had been watching baseball--there was absolutely no doubt the Cardinals would win, the Cardinals WS always went 7 games and Gibson always won game 7. Unfortunately Mickey Lolich, who had been overshaddowed by Gibson and Lolich won games 2 and 5 and came back for game 7. One of the best centerfielders ever to play the game, Curt Flood misplayed a fly ball in 7th, Tigers scored, Lolich shut down Cardinals and I was the most schocked I had ever been watching a baseball game.

Those 60 Cardinals, esp Gibson and Brock, are the reason I have been a Cardinal fan all my life. And 24 years since a WS championship is too long.

I am not quite as old as you guys but I can remember that if you were a Cardinals fan in the eighties that meant you were always in a pennet race. Those pesky Whitey Herzog teams would just kill you with pitching and defense. Not to mention some the best small ball I have ever seen. To be candid with you I hated the way they played the game. They just would make teams beat themselves. Actually I admired their skill. It was impressive to watch just not as fun as the long ball. Although they did have Jack the Ripper and the great Tom Lawless.Ha!Ha! ;)

I am not quite as old as you guys but I can remember that if you were a Cardinals fan in the eighties that meant you were always in a pennet race. Those pesky Whitey Herzog teams would just kill you with pitching and defense. Not to mention some the best small ball I have ever seen. To be candid with you I hated the way they played the game. They just would make teams beat themselves. Actually I admired their skill. It was impressive to watch just not as fun as the long ball. Although they did have Jack the Ripper and the great Tom Lawless.Ha!Ha! ;)

My World Series memories go back a lot further than these. I listened to my first World Series game in 1948--Game 1 of Braves versus Indians. Bob Feller got beat 1-0 (He never won a series game in his brilliant career.) by Johnny Sain. Actually, at the movie theater in winter of 1946, I saw a black-and-white newsreel clip of the Red Sox and Cardinals. The coverage featured games #3 and #7 and the Cardinals became my favorite team--Enos Slaughter my favorite player. I remember when Gabby Street was Harry Caray's broadcast partner--long before Garagiola, Jack Buck and the others. Gabby had been a catcher for the Senators and other teams in the 1920's, and is famous for having caught a baseball dropped from the top of the Washington Monument.

You could drive down streets in southern small towns in the 1950's with the windows down (no air conditioning) and listen to the broadcasts of Cardinals games coming from the radios of every house (which also had open windows for the same reason). The Cardinals were the only "southern" major league team until the Braves/Astros invasion decades later. I attended my first major league game at old Sportsman's Park in St. Louis in 1953.

For some reason, I became a Pittsburgh Pirates fan in 1952 and have suffered with them lo these many years--but I still have memories of Maz's homerun in 1960.

When we were in high school, all WS games were played in daylight. Our teachers would not let us listen, but one did allow us to go to the bathroom one and a time and put a radio in there (transistors were brand new then). Each person had the responsibility of listening and getting the details then bringing back an update to the class. Brad Jackson will always have a scar just above his right eye because he reported the score wrong in 1954.

I am a dedicated football fan, but World Series time always calls for an interruption for something which is more than just a sport.

Edited by Augielio

Ah.......reminissing on old baseball stories. This is what makes the game so great and different for any other sport.

I became a Cards fan in 86 becuase of the best reason I can think of, my tee-ball team was the Cardinals and for some reason I felt it my obligation to cheer for St. Louis, because, well they were the Cardinals too! Thankfully I wasn't on the Braves, or heaven forbid, the Yankees, because I would probably have become a fan of that team.

That meant that 87 was the first time that I cared about how a team was doing or actually kept up with it, as well as a 7 year old could. And what a fun year it was to be a Cardinals fan! (My mom and dad were amazed at how much I knew about all of it.) I remember playing in my backyard until I had to go in, and I had a radio out there with me listening to Jack Buck call the sames. When I had to go in, I'd take my radio with me and listen in my bedroom. I still enjoy listening to radio broadcasts because of him and cried in 02 when Buck died. I still remember being outside that late September afternoon in 87 when the Cards beat the Expos to clinch the division and hear him scream "That's a winner!" and jumping up and down because they won.

My first game in person was July 31, 1987 and the Cards beat the Pirates 4-3 to break a 7 game losing streak. Vince Coleman stold 2nd in the bottom of the 8th to start a 2 run rally to win. It was my first experience at any type of college/professional game and I still remember the place going crazy when they won. And to this day I still love Whitey-ball. If Jack Clark doesn't get hurt, they win the Series that year, easily.

Baseball has to be handed down and taught from one generation to the next. Even the new wife has taken an interest in it and I've got to teach the game to her. It's fun and what makes it so great.