District 14A

mrbigster

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

District 14A

1. Gleason – The Lady Bulldogs boasted a strong senior class last year, including starters Price, Wiseman, and Felts. However, Gleason does return the best point guard in Class A in Kayla Hudson and a very talented junior in Riley Auvenshine. If Candace Green can supply a significant amount of offensive production to help out Hudson and Auvenshine, then you can bet that Coach Frazier will find a few more players (probably will be freshmen) to help make this team a legitimate State Tournament contender out of the West.

2. Greenfield – The Lady Yellowjackets lose only two seniors from last year’s State Tournament team, but those seniors happen to have been their best two players in Becky Atnip and Alyse Page. Despite that, Greenfield does return six seniors, including point guard Annatasia Allen and wing Keely Williams. Throw into the mix a very strong freshman class, and the Lady Yellowjackets could give Gleason a run for their money for the District 14A title.

3. Union City – The Lady Golden Tornadoes lost four seniors from last year’s team including their go-to player, Brandi Alley. But, Union City returns quite a bit of athletic talent and has some solid players coming up from their middle school, which should keep them close to the top of District 14A.

4. South Fulton – The Lady Red Devils possibly return seven seniors for the 2006 – 2007 basketball season. If all of those players have returned, then South Fulton should give even the top teams in their district a run for their money. However, they will have to battle to hold on to this fourth spot since there are about three other teams that could sneak up on them and take it away.

5. Lake County – The Lady Falcons lost all but four players from their entire team last season. However, all four of those players are capable of scoring and playing pretty decent defense. If they can get anything from their freshman class or find another decent post player to replace Clay inside, then the Lady Falcons should at least be in contention to make it to the Regional Tournament.

6. Trenton Peabody – If the Lady Golden Tide return everyone but Meece for this year’s team, then they should finish around the middle of the pack. Last season, they ended on an eight game losing streak which will be on the players’ minds entering this year. They have some very athletic players, but they just have to learn how to be more fundamental and to play as a team.

7. Dresden – The Lady Lions went through somewhat of a rebuilding year last year, but things could be on the up-and-up this season. They seemed to be much improved in the summer, but their athleticism is lacking. They return quite a bit and may finish as high as 4th or 5th depending on how good of a start they get early in the season.

8. Bradford – The Lady Red Devils are a young, but capable team. They return everyone from a season ago, but still have no seniors on their roster. Look for freshmen, Molly Wallsmith and Emily Cunningham, to be a huge part of Bradford’s resurgence, which could possibly start this year.

9. Humboldt – The return just enough to beat Halls.

10. Halls – While they did pull off an “upset” over Bradford last year in the District 14A Tournament, I don’t see them pulling many upsets this year.

The only thing forsure about this district is the teams that will finish 1 - 3 and the teams that will finish 9 and 10. The district is a little down this year and a lot of teams are pretty much even, which means 4 - 8 is up in the air. Any of those teams could beat each other on any given night, though right now, I would give a slight edge for that 4th spot to South Fulton.

UC's go to player...Brandi Alley..

From what I saw this summer. I really liked Greenfield. They were the best team at the UTM camp this summer. The girls seemed to have ownership of that coach's system. If anyone knows him, tell him that I'm impressed with what he is doing there and to keep up the great work. They should be tough to beat this year if they stay connected to what they were doing this summer.

From what I saw this summer. I really liked Greenfield. They were the best team at the UTM camp this summer. The girls seemed to have ownership of that coach's system. If anyone knows him, tell him that I'm impressed with what he is doing there and to keep up the great work. They should be tough to beat this year if they stay connected to what they were doing this summer.

Thanks for the compliments on our girls team, I will tell coach what you said. I think you are right, the girls have worked hard and coach is doing a great job. We have a good senior group and we have alot of depth. I can't wait for basketball season to start, this ought to be a fun season.

I think a little credit is due to Coach Liggett at the Middle School. She starts the tough mentality in Greenfield and doesn't get enough praise. Coach T does a great job, but a good coach getting the girls ready is also a key.

You are exactly right, Coach Tori is doing a great job with our Greenfield Jr. High program. She puts endless hours during the summer and throughout the year and the girls are working hard. The Jr. High girls played over 40 games this summer and won every game. We have a good group of younger girls waiting in the wings for next year. Greenfield has a good thing going in our girls programs for years to come.

Go Lady Jackets

Edited by Greenfieldfan

• 3 weeks later...

I saw where Greenfield defeated Martin Westview Saturday night....Big win for Greenfield,that must have been sweet....Union City played a very strong Obion Central Lady Rebel team awfully tough before losing by 8..UC opened the game strong and built a 10 point lead 13-3 before OC's superior depth kicked in and the Lady Rebels went on like a 22-3 run,but the UC ladies fought back to get within 2 at half..UC won two games in Martin this past weekend,beating USJ and Perry County..Both were two point wins....

I saw where Greenfield defeated Martin Westview Saturday night....Big win for Greenfield,that must have been sweet....Union City played a very strong Obion Central Lady Rebel team awfully tough before losing by 8..UC opened the game strong and built a 10 point lead 13-3 before OC's superior depth kicked in and the Lady Rebels went on like a 22-3 run,but the UC ladies fought back to get within 2 at half..UC won two games in Martin this past weekend,beating USJ and Perry County..Both were two point wins....

Yea, I said that they should be tough to beat. They beat a very well coached and talented Westview team.