Chattanooga Single A

ASCEO

Not likely. Temple could have an undefeated season even with football causing some shifts in the schedule.

It is highly unlikely that Grace will even be in the contention this year. I think most of their starters last year were seniors. Last year they had a weak bench and that is who their starters are this year. It would be hard to imagine their bench really stepping up this year and playing at the same level as Eldridge and the rest.

CSAS should be better this year than last year but not good enough to compete with a much improved Temple.

Temple had four starters last year who started every game and they will be returning this year with several guys competing for the fifth spot and a healthy number of players on the bence.

It would not be surprising to see Temple a good ways ahead of the rest of the pack this season and not unreasonable to go ahead and say that they are definitely likely to win state. I know, I know. It is too early to making statements like that but I am not the only one saying it.

If CSAS will be better this year how will they not compete with Temple when they beat this same Temple team last year. CSAS is still young and has a lot more room to improve than Temple. They won't get much better than they already are. Temple has fulfilled their potential. Grace and CSAS have not yet.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If CSAS will be better this year how will they not compete with Temple when they beat this same Temple team last year. CSAS is still young and has a lot more room to improve than Temple. They won't get much better than they already are. Temple has fulfilled their potential. Grace and CSAS have not yet.

I can see CSAS being better this year than last year but not Grace. I am sure you will agree the difference it makes having strong seniors on a team. That is one of the reasons I feel as I do about Temple distancing themselves from the rest of the pack. Last year, Temple did not have any strong senior leadership. They did however have strong junior leadership. I have only seen CSAS play one time so I cannot say a whole lot about their varsity squad, but judging from how good Temple's ninth grade team and JV team did last year against Grace and CSAS, the varsity squad will be hard to beat this year.

Think about it for a moment. You have Seth Skogen, Dee Newsome, and Josh Smith who are seniors and were all big players and starters last year. Seth was a Mr. Basketball finalist. You have Seth Wadley who is a junior this year returning and started every game last year. There is a new kid who played on the ninth grade team, the JV team, and started often on the varsity squad. I cannot remember his name, Jeremy, I think. Not to mention a bunch of great sophomore players, including Joey Skogen & James Kemp. Several sophomores like Ben Montgomery, Caleb Rector, and Josh Reeves who are all over six foot and will likely hit 6' 5 or better.

I understand Temple's Quarterback this year who is number one in the city and did not even play football the last few years, prefers basketball and that is really his sport and that he is really good at it.

Truth is that last year was Temple's reload/rebuild year. This year I would not be surprised to see them take state championships in football and basketball and even possibly baseball. The quarterback and another new kid are both good baseball players, I hear.

I hope you do not think I am on here talking smack or trying to blow smoke. These are my observations and even though, I do not know a lot about all of Temple's programs and stuff, I am well familiar with their basketball program and I feel strongly that they will be hard to beat.

The one factor that may just debunk my whole glorious theory :) is how football affects the season. I know I posted earlier that I did not think that it would but, not focusing on basketball for the next five weeks cannot be a good thing. I am pretty sure that Grace will get zeroed in after this Friday against FCS and CSAS does not have a football team. So your three way split prophecies may actually come to pass. Which would be fine, wouldn't it? All three teams are excellent teams and worthy of the final rounds... :)

I still dont think you can say CSAS is better without Powell. Yeah he was lazy, but he scored over 1,000 points at CSAS and Im sure he scored around 20 in the win over Temple last year. If you were better without him why did he start?

Think about it for a moment. You have Seth Skogen, Dee Newsome, and Josh Smith who are seniors and were all big players and starters last year. Seth was a Mr. Basketball finalist.

I forgot about Josh Smith. Out of the three of those players mentioned, I think he seems to have the most off-court leadership. I'm still rolling my eyes about that Mr. Basketball Finalist Award. When was the last time a player was nominated but didn't win the District or Region Player of the Year Award?? Oh well, it's neither here nor there

What new players does Temple have this year?

Edited by Grace Golden Eagles

I forgot about Josh Smith. Out of the three of those players mentioned, I think he seems to have the most off-court leadership. I'm still rolling my eyes about that Mr. Basketball Finalist Award. When was the last time a player was nominated but didn't win the District or Region Player of the Year Award?? Oh well, it's neither here nor there

What new players does Temple have this year?

Skogen was well deserving of the Mr. Basketball nomination. Davis was a great shooter but didnt do much else. Seth had a well rounded game. He played inside and outside and played a whole lot better defense than davis.

Skogen was well deserving of the Mr. Basketball nomination. Davis was a great shooter but didnt do much else. Seth had a well rounded game. He played inside and outside and played a whole lot better defense than davis.

Skogen def shoulda have been district and region player of the year. Antonio was the second best player in the region last year.then i would put davis below both of them.Daivs was an excellent shooter, but it really stops there.

So you are saying that the people around the state who never see them play know more about this than the coaches that see them play all the time? Skogen is a good ball player, but Davis should have gotten the nomination.

I still dont think you can say CSAS is better without Powell. Yeah he was lazy, but he scored over 1,000 points at CSAS and Im sure he scored around 20 in the win over Temple last year. If you were better without him why did he start?

Just watch and see. CSAS will be deeper and more athletic than any team that Grace or Temple will see.

So you are saying that the people around the state who never see them play know more about this than the coaches that see them play all the time? Skogen is a good ball player, but Davis should have gotten the nomination.

After not just watchin both of them,but also playin against both, i can def say seth was a better rounded player. Davis was the best shooter in the city last year no question and wasnt afraid to take the big shot,but as far as playin well in all the aspects of the game,Seth has him beat.Davis couldnt post up,rebound,drive to the basket and just wouldnt play defense.He was not strong enough to do those things.Seth was and is a decent shooter,great defender,good rebounder,good at takin it to the hole,can post up very well,and wants to take the big shot.they were both good players,but Seth is just better all around.

I do think that Temple will be the team to beat in Single A in the city of Chattanooga. Temple has a lot of experience returning and good leadership. Seth Skogen and Dee Newson have started since they were freshmen and Josh Smith has played a lot since he was a freshmen. Temple will be extremely fast this year, maybe the quickest team they have ever had. The one thing Temple will need to do is find some consistency shooting the 3 ball this year. If they are shooting the 3 consistently they will not get beat, they are that good in every other aspect of the game.

Grace will play Temple tough im sure during the season and once again I think they will play 4 times this year. CSAS will be decent and they will be really good at home but that's it. I know that the region is supposed to be there and their coach will be loving that, but I think that once again Temple and Grace will be the top of the class in this Region.

Skogen and Eldridge were both good players last year, but comparing their defensive abilities makes no sense. In key games, they both were seldom if ever seen to be guarding the other teams best player. Eldridge is gone, but Skogen will continue to play only enough defense to keep from getting in foul trouble.

When Grace played Temple Davis would guard the worst player on the floor while seth would guard Davis.